Any Hyperion HPS-8C Center speaker experiences?

RCduck7

Any Hyperion HPS-8C Center speaker experiences?
« on: 22 Jan 2010, 08:26 pm »
It was completely overlooked by me, but just today while browsing the net i have seen that the Hyperion center speakers is a rare beast!
I mean, it has besides it's middle tweeter also tweeters on each side! firing almost diagionally.
I didn't knew that.
I guess these tweeters on each side should spread the sound very wide, and as a result it should be in the benefit of people that doesn't sit in front of the center speaker in a surround setup, to hear dialogue in a movie for instance more clearly.
However, i'm not sure if it would be of any benefit for someone that is listening while sitting in the sweetspot, just in front the center speaker.
Wouldn't the wide sound coming from the center be a hinderance to the sound you hear from the front speakers?
Or perhaps, wouldn't discrete sound effects coming from a 5.1 movie miss a bit of placement due to it's wide spread of sound?

Any experiences from Hyperion HPS-8C center owners that can offer a comparison to this center compared to a "normal" center?

Doubleblind

• Arcam AVR600; Oppo BDP83SE;Hyperion 938; Axiom sur
Re: Any Hyperion HPS-8C Center speaker experiences?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2010, 04:17 pm »
NO I haven't heard this speaker from Hyperion.

I am about 2 weeks away from ordering this very centre channel.

The tweeters are directional, so sitting in the centre position may give you clarity, probably like any other centre channel, and the benefit of extra tweeters may benefit your guests.

I already have a centre from another manufacturer, but the sound is boxy and not as clear as I would wish.  This position is also behind an acoustically transparent screen, so this might also interfere slightly for clarity.
I am also hoping that the front sound field will be seemless with the addition of a tonally  compatible speaker from the same manufacturer.

I don’t do my critical listening in the 5.1 mode, I like the Hyperions only with a touch of sub, so I wouldn’t use the centre channel.

RCduck7

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2010, 10:59 pm »
Ok, if you order one let me know your experiences if you like.

In the meantime i'm planning to do something quit different for center channel sound...
I was just reminded about an article i read, it involves using 2 bookshelf speakers as a center channel.
For some it might sound weird, but by using 2 bookshelf speakers you can lay them both on their side with the tweeter on the inside for focus of the center dialogue, or the opposite, with the tweeters on the outside for a wider sound for guests.
You can actually experiment with positioning as much as you like that way.
Only problem is that your amp has to work a bit harder with 2 speakers on one channel.
But if you use a seperate surround processor to a multichannel power amp and you happen to have 1 or more channels on that power amp unused, you can go from the center preout to 2 channels on the power amp by using a splitter on the interconnect your using between them.
I hope you understand what i mean.
I actually found a pair of Hyperion HWS-586's for sale for half the price and i jumped to it.
So i should try my little experiment within a few weeks time.
I think it will turn out rather good, at least the article i read seemed to refer it will work out better then using a "normal" center speaker in most cases, if not, i have an other beautiful set of Hyperion speakers for in my bedroom.

Tholt

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2010, 07:27 am »
There's one for sale on agon right now

Doubleblind

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2010, 08:22 pm »
There's one for sale on agon right now

Thanks Tholt  for the tip,

This centre could work for me, it's cosmetically challenged (the feet and grill) but I'm hiding it anyways behind an acoustically transparent screen.
I made an offer, we'll see.

Doubleblind

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2010, 08:27 pm »
Ok, if you order one let me know your experiences if you like.

In the meantime i'm planning to do something quit different for center channel sound...
I was just reminded about an article i read, it involves using 2 bookshelf speakers as a center channel.
For some it might sound weird, but by using 2 bookshelf speakers you can lay them both on their side with the tweeter on the inside for focus of the center dialogue, or the opposite, with the tweeters on the outside for a wider sound for guests.
You can actually experiment with positioning as much as you like that way.
Only problem is that your amp has to work a bit harder with 2 speakers on one channel.
But if you use a seperate surround processor to a multichannel power amp and you happen to have 1 or more channels on that power amp unused, you can go from the center preout to 2 channels on the power amp by using a splitter on the interconnect your using between them.
I hope you understand what i mean.
I actually found a pair of Hyperion HWS-586's for sale for half the price and i jumped to it.
So i should try my little experiment within a few weeks time.
I think it will turn out rather good, at least the article i read seemed to refer it will work out better then using a "normal" center speaker in most cases, if not, i have an other beautiful set of Hyperion speakers for in my bedroom.

It makes sense and could work for you, good luck with the experiment.

I am not a fan of bookshelf speakers, and I also have no place to place them (and stands are out of the question with the 938s in the front as well) in my listening room, so placement is impossible.

Cheers!

Tholt

« Reply #6 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:53 am »
DB - did you get the speaker? If so, how does it sound to you? I'd be interested in its dialogue intelligibility.

Doubleblind

« Reply #7 on: 8 Feb 2010, 04:07 pm »
DB - did you get the speaker? If so, how does it sound to you? I'd be interested in its dialogue intelligibility.

No, not yet.  The seller didn't want to send to Canada, so I had it sent to my brother-in-law in Texas, so I'm still waiting for the second leg of the transport  to be completed to me.
When I remember about this thread, I'll report back.

My present centre is a Mordaunt-
Short; it sounds boxy to me, so I'm hoping for a great improvement, and a seemless front stage for movies.

Tholt

« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2010, 05:04 pm »
That guy had a sweet pair of 938's for sale -- $1950 if I recall. Daaaaang! Almost made me not want to already own a pair so I could buy those for so cheap! I thought about picking up the center and surrounds for the complete HT set up, but I would have just been for aesthetics. The center in particular intrigued me. You never see those for sale. Congrats on your buy!

Doubleblind

« Reply #9 on: 8 Feb 2010, 05:48 pm »
That guy had a sweet pair of 938's for sale -- $1950 if I recall. Daaaaang! Almost made me not want to already own a pair so I could buy those for so cheap! I thought about picking up the center and surrounds for the complete HT set up, but I would have just been for aesthetics. The center in particular intrigued me. You never see those for sale. Congrats on your buy!

Yes, your tip/post was very timely for me, thanks again!

This centre was going to cost me much more to buy it new ($1250++ Cdn.)and this speaker will work perfectly for me (price wise, I just have to get it and test it).

Yes, the pair of 938s at that price would be a good score for someone; if I was closer, I would be very tempted.

I'll try to keep you guys posted when I get'em.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 8 Feb 2010, 07:06 pm »
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1270752079&/Hyperion-HPS-938-Local-sale-pr

This guy mentions in his ad he will consider selling his center speaker.

RCduck7

« Reply #11 on: 9 Feb 2010, 10:10 pm »
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1270752079&/Hyperion-HPS-938-Local-sale-pr

This guy mentions in his ad he will consider selling his center speaker.

Tempting, the downside is that he has to send to Belgium if i want to buy.

But today i tried using 2 bookshelf speaker as a center as prevously mentioned in this thread, it worked out great i must say.
But the tweeters have to be in the middle when the speakers are placed on their sides for me, placing the speaker so that the tweeters are on the outside lost some focus, even when angled to me.
The HPS-8C center speakers has a tweeter in the middle and tweeters on the outside almost side firing!!
I'm not feeling comfortable having tweeters on the outside. How does it compare to a normal center? Still noone?

Doubleblind

« Reply #12 on: 19 Feb 2010, 08:34 pm »
:(   I had received the centre channel yesterday.  It didn't arrive in good shape.
I won't add anything more at this time.

Tholt

« Reply #13 on: 19 Feb 2010, 10:19 pm »
Ugh. speakers are always the first to take a hit when shipped. sorry about that

RCduck7

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2010, 09:01 pm »
:(   I had received the centre channel yesterday.  It didn't arrive in good shape.
I won't add anything more at this time.

Shipment can be rude but... How was the center packaged? Was it in it's original packaging? Or was the original packaging of the speaker not that good? What is the damage? Scratches or a dent?

Doubleblind

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2010, 07:55 pm »
Original packaging.

Much worse than scratches.

And, I have not been able to reach Hyperion by E mail on either coast.  Non-existent?

Doubleblind

« Reply #16 on: 23 Aug 2010, 03:53 pm »
I have reached Hyperion, but they said that there are no parts available, but they would sell me a new centre (not), due to the slumping economy.

I have replaced the Hyperion with an Axiom.  My receiver is out for repair, so I haven't been able to have a good listen to the new centre.

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 23 Aug 2010, 06:02 pm »
Doubleblind, did you order the speaker from an authorized Hyperion dealer?  Or did you buy them used from another owner?

Doubleblind

« Reply #18 on: 23 Aug 2010, 07:09 pm »
Dracule1

I bought the centre in a private sale.
The 938s, I bought new, and the dealer is no longer in business.

The story is convoluted I won't go into a lot of detail here,but the centre  arrived in unusable condition.

One plastic basket was completely sheared off of the cone (probably through the grunts mishandling it during shipping).

I have moved on from this experience, although I still have the centre, I will use the Axiom and try it when I get the rest of my system back together.

Cheers,

Dracule1

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:01 pm »
Sorry to hear that.  Hyperion should try to provide you parts even though it was bought used since you are willing to pay for them. I think it doesn't bode well for the company when they are unwilling to provide customer service to someone who has bought a pair of new speakers from them.  Using a slumping economy as an excuse is poor judgement on their part.