Brand new speakers

jorgen

Brand new speakers
« on: 24 Sep 2015, 11:52 am »
Hi guys
New pair of speakers in da house! Picked up a box containing a new pair of speakers last week. i have a pair of floorstanders from before, and now a brand new pair of walnut real wood veneered monitors in the size of a super 7 monitor, but with an super alnico driver. Nicely packed, quality of build, as last time, excellent. I like the walnut, a little darker than what i expected, very nice-
They have been playing for about 20 hours of so. I havent got stands for them, neither is the room they will occupy done, we are remodelling our house and a new room for a second system. Impressions after the first few hours are so good that i cant wait to be able to hearing them with a Zen Select or another amp, havent totally decided yet since I have to save up some money first. In the meanwhile im lending them out to a friend of mine who has a Zen select and who hasnt the proper speakers for it yet, he will go for Omega 3 XRS he thinks. The hours listening have been without proper stands, in a less than ideal positioning, not enough breathing room, but still i like them very much.

RDavidson

Re: Brand new speakers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:41 pm »
Nice! Now....you know when you make posts like this that you should accompany it with pics, right? It's like a rule or something.  :thumb:

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:45 pm »
Nice! Now....you know when you make posts like this that you should accompany it with pics, right? It's like a rule or something.  :thumb:

I second that. :D

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2015, 02:52 pm »
They should sound great with your Mini Torii.  The stand that jumps to mind is the Something Solid out of the UK. 

vinagunner

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2015, 09:53 am »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:42 am by vinagunner »

vinagunner

« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2015, 03:00 pm »
v

jorgen

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2015, 05:49 pm »
Hi Vinagunnar.
No Hurum is just a 30 min drive from here. Actually it's the municipal where I grew up. I saw these today and was thinking about them, decided to wait though because I'm still remodelling my house, and the listening room I'm planning will be finished close to Xmas. The new speakers are are visiting a friend of mine who bought Zen Select but doesn't have the right speakers yet. That's why I don't have any pictures to show people. Bad manners I know.

Downstairs I have my TT up and running though, new PU (2m Black) but i have a really bad Riaa, entry level pro-ject, that I bought only to be able to get sound while I'm deciding for a proper Riaa. Sound is very nice, but will be better with a riaa that fits the ret of the system. Right now Duke Ellington is playing..
« Last Edit: 5 Oct 2015, 07:19 pm by jorgen »

vinagunner

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2015, 08:21 pm »
v

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2015, 10:50 pm »
Hi Jorgen,

Just in time for entertainment during the dark winter to come!  :wink:

Sounds like you have the monitor version of my Super 7 XRS with alnico drivers, yes?  Are they the alnico drivers Louis briefly made for the super 7's?  If I recall correctly, your floorstanders are actually very similar to mine as well.

....Peter

jorgen

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2015, 11:32 am »
Hi Peter.
These are Super 7 monitors with the 6" Alnico driver, so I guess a smaller cabinet than the ordinary super alnico monitor, but same driver. Called Louis before the summer, and he could build these as a custom pair of monitors. The Super Alnico monitor is to big for me, I think, but i really would like to hear this driver so we found a solution that i am very happy Louis could build.

The floorstander i have are with the 7" Alnico driver, so both my speakers have alnico drivers but two different sizes, and with that some different character i sound. And yes ours look very much same from a distance, but mine are a little smaller, both in depht and width (i believe mine are 32 liters)

pstrisik

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2015, 03:44 pm »
Hi Peter.
These are Super 7 monitors with the 6" Alnico driver, so I guess a smaller cabinet than the ordinary super alnico monitor, but same driver. Called Louis before the summer, and he could build these as a custom pair of monitors. The Super Alnico monitor is to big for me, I think, but i really would like to hear this driver so we found a solution that i am very happy Louis could build.

The floorstander i have are with the 7" Alnico driver, so both my speakers have alnico drivers but two different sizes, and with that some different character i sound. And yes ours look very much same from a distance, but mine are a little smaller, both in depht and width (i believe mine are 32 liters)

Nice!  I'm curious if you have any impressions contrasting the two drivers.  Would be a less than perfect comparison given the different cabinets, but curious nonetheless.

.......Peter

jorgen

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2015, 09:24 am »
Hi
I should be able to write a little about experiences later, but i only had them in my house for a few days, before i hade to remove them. To sets of speakers didnt fly with the wife. I do have to say that there are differences between the speakers, and very noticable even from the first time I hooked them up. I am very excited about them in the new room, and even if i dont want admit it i believe they will be (even) more musical. Like faster. My problem is about feelings.... You see I love my first pair of speakers, they opened my eyes for a different perspective in matters of how i could enjoy my music. These, the monitors, might be better, but i feel like its cheating.. with a younger model.... More seriously, when im done the livingroom system will be as it has been. Mini torii, dac and TIDAL and the floorstanders, upstairs will be a new amp, possibly decware again but im thinking of a 845 based tube amp, TT and the monitors, so a completly analog system. Two similiar but also different systems. Doing research now for the second amp, and a good riaa (ZP3 is the only one on the shortlist at the moment::)

pstrisik

« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2015, 03:46 pm »
I notice you are concerned about cheating on your speakers, but not on your wife!   :lol:

I think I'll give Louis a call today and see about the status of my monitors.  It has taken long enough that I have continued to improve the sound in my system with the Super 7 XRS' and probably wouldn't order anything different if I was deciding today.  I'm sure that the new speaker system will be worth it when all is said and done though (they are the Super Alnico Monitors and powered 8" bass units in matching zebrawood cabs).

.....Peter

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2015, 07:24 pm »
Jorgen,

We want pictures of your new speakers.  No more talk about them.  Go to your friends house and get pictures. :lol:

PS: I hope he's treating them nicely.  :nono:

jorgen

« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2015, 08:57 pm »
Peter: thanksfully my wife doesn't attend these forums... In a way I guess that she could have pointed out where my priorities really are instead of were they should have been... I think you guys should rather come to the conclusion that I'm very much faithfull to my first love, as she is.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 9 Oct 2015, 09:35 pm »
Congrats! It is tempting to pick up a pair of alnico monitors...  :green:

pstrisik

« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2015, 09:46 pm »
Peter: thanksfully my wife doesn't attend these forums... In a way I guess that she could have pointed out where my priorities really are instead of were they should have been... I think you guys should rather come to the conclusion that I'm very much faithfull to my first love, as she is.

All in good fun (I hope!).

BTW - talked to Louis and he's going to get cookin' on my monitors and get them out.  The bass modules will come after.  It will give me a chance to compare the Alnico Super 7 XRS with the Super Alnico Monitors before selling the latter.

.....Peter

jorgen

« Reply #17 on: 9 Oct 2015, 10:54 pm »
Peter, no worries, all is good.

Thankfully I don't have to sell anything. And at the moment I can't see that I ever have to sell anything. I am very happy with what I got. From what I understand my speakers will be a good partner with any amp that I will desire.

My friend is a very solid guy, chief psychologist at the hospital where I work. They are in treatment...