Quick Check: Amplifier Load

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
Quick Check: Amplifier Load
« on: 23 Oct 2016, 10:32 pm »
Luxman M1500, no user manual online.  Service manual is available.  All references are with only 8 ohm loads.

I've read you are reasonably safe at the next increment in either direction: 4ohm, 16ohm.

What about a 32 ohm load with this solid state amp at low to medium volumes?  Are you stressing the power transformer?

richidoo

Re: Quick Check: Amplifier Load
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2016, 12:35 am »
There will be no stress to the amp, because the amp won't reach full power before voltage clipping. High impedance = easy load.

But voltage clipping will start at moderate volume level, lower volume than with lower impedance speakers. A voltage-clipping amp can damage the speaker with the square-waveish output signal. It will sound truly awful, so you won't miss it if you are mindful. Just be aware that it will never play as loud as 4-8ohm speakers, so don't try. Then just watch out for distorted sound when you turn it up and you'll be fine.

The danger to the amp would be if it were current clipping into a LOW impedance load for long enough to overheat something. With Luxman there would be overcurrent protection scheme - it is an extremely well engineered amp.

75W>8R is probably around 35V rails, so for playing at low to moderate levels you'll probably have plenty of voltage before clipping begins.

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2016, 12:46 am »
Thank you very much richidoo.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2016, 12:47 am »
There will be no stress to the amp, because the amp won't reach full power before voltage clipping. High impedance = easy load.

But voltage clipping will start at moderate volume level, lower volume than with lower impedance speakers. A voltage-clipping amp can damage the speaker with the square-waveish output signal. It will sound truly awful, so you won't miss it if you are mindful. Just be aware that it will never play as loud as 4-8ohm speakers, so don't try. Then just watch out for distorted sound when you turn it up and you'll be fine.

The danger to the amp would be if it were current clipping into a LOW impedance load for long enough to overheat something. With Luxman there would be overcurrent protection scheme - it is an extremely well engineered amp.

75W>8R is probably around 35V rails, so for playing at low to moderate levels you'll probably have plenty of voltage before clipping begins.

You said easier load,why a danger then?,sorry,but even with clipping the load is high z (32ohms) do the maths it's ac not dc still.