Some pics of my Alpha 4's and Tri Traps

drumike

Re: Some pics of my Alpha 4's and Tri Traps
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2016, 08:50 pm »
Sorry didn't get the pics posted properly ! Will try again.

drumike

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2016, 09:11 pm »
2nd try

Question: Can i paint the veneer of the Alphas the wall color without a change in what they provide?

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2016, 06:27 pm »
Looks good man.
Have tried the Alpha's just standing on the floor?
Also, I do not see any reason why you could not paint them.

drumike

« Reply #4 on: 15 Mar 2016, 08:26 pm »
Thanks. I have not tried them on the floor for any length of time. Bpape helped me when ordering and his recommendation was to hang them vertically starting about 2 feet off the floor. Kind of a strange layout with one side partially open and high ceiling (16' to 8'). I do like the idea of being able to move these around. I hope someday to get some art treatments for first reflections and these might go behind my listening position, in front of a glass slider or in front of the flat screen for serious listening. I like that I can turn them around for a little more absorption as well.
Like what i'm hearing right now but I will play around with them.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2016, 11:47 am »
Wow these look great!! Thanks for posting the pictures.

I like that I can turn them around for a little more absorption as well.

That is one thing that is "fun" about the Alphas

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm »
Drumike,

While I do like the acoustic treatments you've got now, my eyes were immediately drawn to your media cabinet. I like that a lot. You wouldn't believe what is below my TV (someone else had input).  :nono:

Michael

drumike

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2016, 08:11 pm »
Drumike,

While I do like the acoustic treatments you've got now, my eyes were immediately drawn to your media cabinet. I like that a lot. You wouldn't believe what is below my TV (someone else had input).  :nono:

Michael

Michael,
It is a Salamander Design that I had my eye on for a long time.
Well you can tell by the one speaker in my entryway that I don't have your situation :D
Here is what i had before. Maybe better for sound but it was hard to hide all the wires/cords and I was running out of room.

I also bought some nice AVA separates.

Wow these look great!! Thanks for posting the pictures.

That is one thing that is "fun" about the Alphas
Thanks Glenn,
Not sure that I want to but any thoughts about painting the veneer?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2016, 05:13 pm »
Thanks Glenn,
Not sure that I want to but any thoughts about painting the veneer?

That could be a little iffy.  I guess you could sand the veneer and paint them, but I never have done it. We are working on a natural wood finish now that the fronts can be removed, painted or stained and put back on. 

drummermitchell

« Reply #9 on: 22 Mar 2016, 12:34 am »
I assume that's a clear coat of sorts(oil-latex),perhaps a satin finish.
You can dull the finish with some fine sand paper and re prime it if it's an oil clear coat.
If it's latex/water base clear coat,you can go over it with latex paint
latex won't stick to oil but oil will stick to latex.
The inside of the slats might be tricky and you would want to cover the fabric that's in between the slats,
perhaps painters tape slid underneath each slat or even drywall tape as it's very tough so no dust or paint gets on the fabric.
We use it  under base boards(new housing)when the owners have semi shag type carpet as the fibers are quite long and stand above the base  somewhat,we tuck it underneath the base and it pushes the carpet down so we can paint the whole trim surface.
No fun trying to cut in around thousands of shag fibers :lol:.

drumike

« Reply #10 on: 22 Mar 2016, 08:12 pm »
Drummermitchell,
Thanks for the good info. I was considering blending the Alphas ( veneer ) the same color as the walls.
I did a little sanding of the cutout areas as they weren't as clean as I wanted (real picky) and I was able to slide poster board behind the veneer  easily to protect the fabric. I like the idea of a natural wood finish that can be removed and stained/painted.
Mike

drummermitchell

« Reply #11 on: 22 Mar 2016, 09:47 pm »
Welcome :D