The GIK Scopus Tuned Trap is HERE!

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
The GIK Scopus Tuned Trap is HERE!
« on: 8 Mar 2012, 05:23 pm »
Hey Everyone,

We are proud to introduce a new line of bass trapping, The GIK Scopus Tuned Trap. A bit about the  new line.

"The main goal of acoustic treatments in most rooms is to reduce low frequency decay times and improve frequency response without over-damping the upper frequencies. We recommend starting with broad band bass traps (i.e. Soffit Traps, Monster, Tri Trap, 244) for the overall decay time, frequency response, reflection control, and SBIR mitigation.

After broadband control is applied and overall decay times are mostly in order, problems can still remain in the lower frequencies.  The Scopus Trap was specially designed for this need. It can be mounted directly in the corner to help with low end decay or mounted/stacked in “hot spots” to tame nulls and peaks.

Typical broadband options require a great deal of thickness to reach very low frequencies to the point of sometimes being impractical and can also over damp the higher frequencies.  Other bonded membrane absorbers do not have the high frequency issue but are still relatively broad in nature and usually still are absorbing up close to 1kHz.   Scopus Traps don’t have either of these issues.  They work in the desired range only, leaving your mids and highs in tact instead of just deadening your room.

Features:
-100% pressure based absorption
-3 standard options that cover 30hz to 135hz
-Professionally built
-24”x24” footprint for flexible mounting positions
-Easy to hang or stackable
-Lab tested
-Narrow, targeted absorption range (< 1 octave)
-Custom tunings available 

For more info you can visit the product page at.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_scopus.html

Please let us know if you have any questions we can answer for you.
A BIG shout out to Bryan Pape as he was a big part of, not only pushing us to offer these but was a big part of the R&D.

Glenn Kuras

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: The GIK Scopus Tuned Trap is HERE!
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2012, 05:27 pm »
GIK rocks, what can I say!

Hope all is well Glenn, Bryan & Christina.

Anand.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2012, 06:09 pm »
deleted
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2012, 08:55 pm by Glenn Kuras »

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2012, 08:52 pm »
I just found this post I did on another forum and figured it would be helpful for you to all see. Basically what you can achieve from using something tuned with broad band.

Quote from: Glenn Kuras;7597560
Bryan (our lead room designer) asked me to do a more realist test (cost and room) that most of our customers would encounter. Basically a mix of broad band and Tuned so I did a quick test yesterday.

Empty room

Broad band (GIK 244) floor to ceiling in wall to wall corners (8) and 1 behind each monitor (2). I also put 2 242s on the floor as most people would have a desk or maybe a throw rug. Just want to take that into account.

As you can see it did clean up quite a bit but still as that ringing at 35hz. As everyone knows 40hz is not a easy task to deal with and 35hz is all that much harder! cooge

The following is the Broad band with 8 2'x2' (so like having 4 2'x4') T40s on the back wall.

Pretty much kicked the ringing to what you would want to see.

Here is the frequency response of all. Note with tuned it actually helped at 70hz, but we would only advertise this to around 60hz.

Here is the RT30 just to show the room is not over absorbed on the upper frequencies which we would treat from there.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2012, 09:58 pm »
 :o

And a whole lot cheaper baby!  :thumb:

Anand.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2012, 12:47 am »
I'll bite!  I've ordered a T40 in Coffee!  I can stick it in the corner and try to tame things from 30-60hz...

John

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2012, 02:53 am »
I'll bite!  I've ordered a T40 in Coffee!  I can stick it in the corner and try to tame things from 30-60hz...

John

Indeed for those of us with good broad band absorption, this unit can help tame 'hot spots' so to speak. GIK to the rescue once again. Great stuff with great science behind it.

Anand.

coverto

« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2012, 03:15 am »
Could this, indeed, be placed on the floor in a corner off to the side of the speakers, like a corner bass trap, and still yield a significant benefit? Or would it be far more effective, for example, in an optimized position - I'm guessing maybe hung on the wall in the middle behind the speakers, at the height of the bass drivers?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 9 Mar 2012, 01:29 pm »

John

Thanks JOHN!!
Keep in mind that the amount of coverage still comes into play. The test I did above is with 8 of them. Bass waves are very big so it just takes a bit of coverage to deal with them. Feel free to contact use though and Bryan can take a look at what you have going on.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 9 Mar 2012, 01:33 pm »
Could this, indeed, be placed on the floor in a corner off to the side of the speakers, like a corner bass trap, and still yield a significant benefit? Or would it be far more effective, for example, in an optimized position - I'm guessing maybe hung on the wall in the middle behind the speakers, at the height of the bass drivers?

It will do a GREAT job if placed in the corners as our lab testing should (look at J mount on the riverback PDF), but keep in mind that it will mostly effect the decay time, which IMO is most important. If wanting to deal with both decay and frequency then the unit should be placed in the area that the problem is coming from. The test above I did was with 8 of them stacked on the back wall in the middle, so I did hit some of the lower corner and the direct "hot spot". 

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #10 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:07 pm »
Glenn, On your webpage for the T40 it states [Dimensions: 24”x24”x10.25”] while the T70 & T100 state [Dimensions:24”x24”x4.25”]
Is 10.25" correct for the T40?

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 9 Mar 2012, 04:32 pm »
Glenn, On your webpage for the T40 it states [Dimensions: 24”x24”x10.25”] while the T70 & T100 state [Dimensions:24”x24”x4.25”]
Is 10.25" correct for the T40?

Yes. 40hz is a monster to deal with so the cavity has to be that large. It is the same reason a kick drum is the largest drum on a standard drum kit.  :D The nice part of the size is you can also double them as stands for say the QRD/Q7d. Basically you can set the T40s on the floor, in the back of the room and stack the QRD/Q7D on top of that. And or stack more T40s on top.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2012, 05:10 pm »
Thanks Glenn
Another great :idea: from GIK

InfernoSTi

« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2012, 07:46 pm »
Thanks JOHN!!
Keep in mind that the amount of coverage still comes into play. The test I did above is with 8 of them. Bass waves are very big so it just takes a bit of coverage to deal with them. Feel free to contact use though and Bryan can take a look at what you have going on.

Glenn,

Good point.  I have ordered a second one so I get a little more coverage.  I'll measure before/after and then get a good idea of their impact.

John
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2012, 09:31 pm by InfernoSTi »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2012, 02:31 pm »
Just an overall comment for those considering these.  They are 2x2 squares, not 2x4 like our other panels. So, for the same surface area as say 2 244 or 2 Monster panels, you'd want 4 of these.  There is some overlap between the various tunings so you can even do something like a square of them with small gaps between where you would have say 2 T40's and 2 T70's.  That will overlap in the 50's yet still function in the range of both individual tunings.  You'd get a bit more in the overlap range but not a lot.  Certainly 4 of each would be a preferred solution pending how much additional absorption you're looking for in any given range.

They needed to be square instead of rectangular so the membrane is acting equally in all dimensions rather than having 2 different sets of resonances.  We looked at 3x3' and 4x4' but the shipping costs and sheer weight were just too much of a problem so we settled on the 2x2' - which also tends to open up more placement options.

Bryan

InfernoSTi

« Reply #15 on: 10 Mar 2012, 03:46 pm »
Bryan,

Can you discuss placement options in a little more detail?  I have a few options I'm considering using the two I've ordered but perhaps I'm not thinking correctly of how to use them. 

My listening room is in an open living room with the breakfast room and kitchen opening up behind my listening seat for a total depth of 39 feet.  The width of my listening room is 20 feet for the living room area.  The space opens up on the whole down stairs through a wide hallway that runs back to the dinning room (this may be hard to picture).  In short, I have a lot more space than I've ever had before. 

My first thought was to place them in my front right corner.  I currently have a GIK Soffit Trap and a GIK Tri Trap there.  Do they have to straddle the corner or can they simply be placed flat against the wall (one on each wall meeting in the corner), if that makes sense? 

My second thought was to place them on the rear wall.  I have a 25" space above the kitchen cabinets across the whole rear wall, so they would be up high there.  That is actually a less desirable location to me but thought I would mention it. 

A third thought would be to use them as "stands" for a set of front wall diffusors which I will be testing soon (I'm getting a set used from a fellow AC'er to try out).  Alternately, I could place a 4" OC 703 panel on top of each which is how I currently have the front wall treated.

So many options with a 2x2x1 (essentially) shape!  Any comments would be welcome...even if they are general in nature to get me thinking about how best to use them.

John

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: 12 Mar 2012, 01:20 pm »
They can be placed straddling a corner or flat in a corner. They'll be slightly broader in nature but have given some strange readings when doing so.

Any of the options you mentioned would work fine in terms of decay time and reduction of ringing in the target range. In any of those locations, other things will be impacted so my suggestion would be to try them just free standing in all of the locations and see what works best for you. The front corner would probably be the least desirable IMO.

Bryan

InfernoSTi

« Reply #17 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:18 pm »
Thanks, Bryan.  I'll play around with them once they arrive...

I got the tracking notice...40 lbs each? Wow. Thanks for the quick shipping...should make my weekend a lot of fun!   

John

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:20 pm »
Thanks, Bryan.  I'll play around with them once they arrive...

I got the tracking notice...40 lbs each? Wow. Thanks for the quick shipping...should make my weekend a lot of fun!   

John

Actually they are 30 pounds each.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2012, 12:43 pm »
Glenn,

Per FedEx, the "shipping" weight is 38.2 lbs...at 30 lbs each, they must be nice and solid!

I'm looking forward to trying these out!  My Soffit traps dig deep and the Scopus traps should augment them from 35-45hz very nicely!  I'm excited to try them out...

John