SST OR SST2

planet

SST OR SST2
« on: 16 Apr 2015, 09:11 am »
I am thinking of should I get the used 4bsst or 4bsst2? The price is difference of 1.2k , and I don't compare side by side of them, so not sure is there any big difference of the sound quality of these two. Any users
Can share your opinion?  Thanks.

planet

Re: SST OR SST2
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2015, 10:14 am »
Sorry! The difference of the used 4bsdt and 4bsst2 is USD 1.7k. Thanks.

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2015, 11:04 am »
Hi,

I can't really comment on the difference in sound between the two because I only own a 4BSST2 and I have never listened to an SST.

But here in Canada, the difference in price between generation of 4B is ruffly about 1K$ CAN.

4B - Sub 1K
4BST - about 1.5K
4BSST - about 2.5K
4BSST2 - about 3.5K

(Source = mainly "Canuck Audio Mart".)

Give or take a few hundreds depending on general conditions, remaining warranty, etc.

Take care!

planet

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2015, 11:32 am »
I had audition Accuphase fews year back, and  I like the detailed and quiet background even in very low volume,  but the price is very expensive that I can't afford.  I heard that Bryston is quite detailed and quite background in low volume as Accuphase. So I wish to get more opinons from the SST & SST2 users before I purchase the amp.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2015, 05:51 pm »
I also have only heard the SST2. After doing a LOT of research, one of the differences I found was that with the SST2 line, Bryston stated they were making sure the "sweet spot" for the amplifier was almost the entire power range, from the first watt to the last watt. As I frequently listen at lower levels, this was important to me.

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2015, 11:54 pm »
IMO it would depend on your pre-amp. The SST2 I estimate is about 30% better in bass and highs are more linear. Though it still has the same characteristic sound on other Bryston amps.

My previous mid-level AVR couldn't quite resolve the extra bass of the SST2 whereas the SST matched well. Upgrading to Bryston SP2 pre-amp had no problem resolving the extra bass.

I listen at loud levels so I'm not one to comment on low level listening. Some speakers don't open up unless you crank it, so your speakers are also a factor at low listening levels. 8)

Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2015, 03:37 am »
I own the 4Bsst and BP-25 pre and I am very happy with them.  I have listened to the 4Bsst2 and BP-26 at the audio store on the same speakers I have, the B&W 803D2.  Did I hear a difference, yes I did but it was more a refinement than a significant improvement.  I was buying used and I was trying to manage the cost of my system so I went with the 4Bsst and BP-25.    If money is not a factor go with the sst2.  You will be more than happy with either amp.

planet

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2015, 02:17 am »
Hi. Thanks for all the advised and opinions. I will try to audition SST & SST2 when available.  And I agreed with Chicago that erither SST or SST2 all are superior.