Bryston Loudspeakers

PRELUDE

Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #600 on: 2 Sep 2012, 10:18 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston Model T Loudspeakers Feedback

DATE:  September 2012

Hi Folks – David is a professional sound engineer who has won many awards for his work in Movies and TV sound.

“Hi James,

Thanks again for making the time this afternoon for a first listening session with Bryston's new passive and active T1 speaker systems. Comparing the subtle differences between the two setups was a lot of fun and I love the flexibility you've built in for your customers. We've had many conversations about the relative merits of active vs passive speaker designs, and with a few simple choices you've managed to address them all.

From a performance point of view, both systems are top notch. I've always loved the sound of your listening rooms, and these new combinations are as good as I've heard. While I loved both systems and don't think they differ too much, the active system with the three Bryston power amps truly was one of the best sounding Hi-Fi systems I've had the pleasure to hear.

I'm looking forward to more time with them at TAVES and perhaps down the road if you are able to send a review sample our way at The Inner Ear. I'd also love to try the smaller pair at the studio in my new sound design suite.

Thanks again and well done.”

David McCallum
Partner / Supervising Sound Editor
Tattersall Sound & Picture

James,
Which power amp did you use to demo the active?
He is taking about three amps.Did you use a pair of 7BSST2 and two 4BSST2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #601 on: 2 Sep 2012, 10:25 pm »
James,
Which power amp did you use to demo the active?
He is taking about three amps.Did you use a pair of 7BSST2 and two 4BSST2?

Hi

Yes - 2-7's and 2-4's with new DSP crossover on the Active and a pair of 28B's on the Passives..

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #602 on: 2 Sep 2012, 10:53 pm »
Hi

Yes - 2-7's and 2-4's with new DSP crossover on the Active and a pair of 28B's on the Passives..

James
That is the Way to go James. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Just out of curiosity!!!!
As far I always been very satisfied with the 7s for bass in number of active systems and never asked for more but did you try the 28s to drive the bass and see if really would change performance or not.
I think it would be too much.What would you think?
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #603 on: 2 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm »
That is the Way to go James. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Just out of curiosity!!!!
As far I always been very satisfied with the 7s for bass in number of active systems and never asked for more but did you try the 28s to drive the bass and see if really would change performance or not.
I think it would be too much.What would you think?
Thanks

Its a good question - a lot depends on the load of the speaker.  If it is fairly benign (which it usually is not) then it is difficult to tell the difference.  With more difficult loads the 28B's will flesh out the mid bass and low bass.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #604 on: 4 Sep 2012, 05:09 pm »
Bryston Model -T Home Theater System

james

adol290

« Reply #605 on: 4 Sep 2012, 06:37 pm »

You keep posting pictures just to drive us crazy..  right   :lol:

Have you set a date as to when we will be able to place an order through our dealer.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #606 on: 4 Sep 2012, 06:54 pm »
You keep posting pictures just to drive us crazy..  right   :lol:

Have you set a date as to when we will be able to place an order through our dealer.

Hi adol,

Some dealers have ordered their samples and some customers through their dealers have ordered already but it will be mid to late October before we can deliver.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #607 on: 5 Sep 2012, 01:10 pm »
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Model T

Hi James

Now that I'm home, listening to my own system and speakers, with similar Bryston amps, preamps, processors and players, I hear flaws in my speakers that I have not perceived before.

Exhagerated highs, mids that don't join seemlessly with the lower and upper frequencies, and that gracefulness that I described with you when listening in your sound room.

It's an interesting discovery.

Food for thought for me.

DM

mkaiser

« Reply #608 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:14 pm »
Now that I'm home, listening to my own system and speakers, with similar Bryston amps, preamps, processors and players, I hear flaws in my speakers that I have not perceived before.

Exhagerated highs, mids that don't join seemlessly with the lower and upper frequencies, and that gracefulness that I described with you when listening in your sound room.

It's an interesting discovery. /quote]

Too bad he doesn't name the speakers he owns to draw a comparison and add weight to his story.  :wink:

Hi

I know what they are are (name with-held) and they are a very well respected product.

james
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2012, 03:43 pm by James Tanner »

Marius

« Reply #609 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:38 pm »
James,

Is it possible  for me to audition the Model T's in the Netherlands? Does Mavico have a pair?

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #610 on: 9 Sep 2012, 03:41 pm »
James,

Is it possiblel for me to audition the Model T's in the Netherlands? Does Mavico have a pair?

Marius

Hi Marius

Maybe eventually but it will be a while. We have already sold the first 42 pair and I will not have anymore production till late November and if the orders continue possiblly not till January.

James

Marius

« Reply #611 on: 9 Sep 2012, 04:09 pm »
Hi James,

I had to ask because before you mentioned not all dealers will have Model T's. Hope you will give us the opportunity. Some way or another.
Spoke to numerous audiophile colleagues, and they were interested to say the least. I'd be ready to buy them unheard, but believe an audition would help your case greatly.

Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #612 on: 9 Sep 2012, 04:16 pm »
Hi James,

I had to ask because before you mentioned not all dealers will have Model T's. Hope you will give us the opportunity. Some way or another.
Spoke to numerous audiophile colleagues, and they were interested to say the least. I'd be ready to buy them unheard, but believe an audition would help your case greatly.

Marius

Hi

I assume Mafico would be interested as they do not distribute a speaker as far as I know.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #613 on: 11 Sep 2012, 10:44 am »
Hi Folks,

Some Anechoic measurements on the Model T Speaker:

0/15/30 Degrees

45/60/70 Degrees

Difference 70dB to 90dB

Difference 70dB to 95dB

Impedance

Listening Window

THD + Noise 90dB

THD + Noise 95dB

james

JohnR

« Reply #614 on: 11 Sep 2012, 10:48 am »
What is "Ratio vs Freq"?

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #615 on: 11 Sep 2012, 03:40 pm »
Hi James, I admit I don't know about testing and meaurements, especially the finer points, but I do at least look at graphs, like the ones you posted on the Model T, when they are made, such as in Stereophile reviews.

These seem to show a degree and level of flatness that I don't recall having seen before.

Is my memory worse than I thought? Am I misunderstanding something?

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #616 on: 11 Sep 2012, 03:53 pm »
Hi James, I admit I don't know about testing and meaurements, especially the finer points, but I do at least look at graphs, like the ones you posted on the Model T, when they are made, such as in Stereophile reviews.

These seem to show a degree and level of flatness that I don't recall having seen before.

Is my memory worse than I thought? Am I misunderstanding something?

Dave

Hi Dave,

No the measurements on the Model T are exceptional by industry standards and I am very happy with the final product  :thumb:

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #617 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:01 pm »
What is "Ratio vs Freq"?

Hi John,

Yes graphs can be a little confusing I agree.

Basically the graph shows the 'on axis' frequency response at 70dB then an overlay of the same on axis measurement at 90dB and finally 95dB (quite loud).  Many speakers will deviate from flat frequency response as well as increasing distortion as you increase the power.  As you can see the Model T tracks very well.

One of my main goals with the Model T was I wanted them to be able to accept huge amounts of power (no dynamic compression)  without deviating from their flat frequency response or increasing in distortion. This is a good test to show how a speaker performs under those conditions.

james

Marius

« Reply #618 on: 11 Sep 2012, 04:16 pm »
Hi James,

Could you comment on the graphs below 50hz, they all seem to deviate from "flatness". Does this indicate the need for a dedicated Sub, or, on the contrary, would you say these graphs show/prove how flat Model T is, in comparison to other Speakers.

Marius

Good question  :thumb:

Most Anechoic chambers will not allow for an accurate measurement below about 50-80Hz (otherwise their size becomes unrealistic) so what is done in our case is the bass response measurement is made on a pole outside the factory 100 feet in the air and then that measurement is used and over-layed with the anechoic response to get an accurate response below 50Hz. 

So you can ignore the response below 80 on the graphs.  I will try to get you a much more technical answer from Ian as well.

james
« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2012, 04:26 pm by James Tanner »

Marius

« Reply #619 on: 11 Sep 2012, 05:18 pm »
That would be wonderful, James, Im on the lookout for a full-range  speaker to replace my Quad/Rel B1 set, with the same frequency response, transparency and airy quality, but more SPL. Model T would come close, as I gather from your previous info. Would love some 'deep' as in bigpipe organ, full-blown orchestra, heavy bassdrum-measurements   (no suitable Smiley found :-) )

Cheers!
Marius

Hi James,

Could you comment on the graphs below 50hz, they all seem to deviate from "flatness". Does this indicate the need for a dedicated Sub, or, on the contrary, would you say these graphs show/prove how flat Model T is, in comparison to other Speakers.

Marius

Good question  :thumb:

Most Anechoic chambers will not allow for an accurate measurement below about 50-80Hz (otherwise their size becomes unrealistic) so what is done in our case is the bass response measurement is made on a pole outside the factory 100 feet in the air and then that measurement is used and over-layed with the anechoic response to get an accurate response below 50Hz. 

So you can ignore the response below 80 on the graphs.  I will try to get you a much more technical answer from Ian as well.

james