Carver M500T or Proceed AMP 5?

utahtaper

Carver M500T or Proceed AMP 5?
« on: 16 Mar 2010, 05:32 am »
I have a Carver now and have the opportunity to get a Proceed5 for around 9 bills. The Proceed has two non working channels and three good ones. I'm pretty sure I can fix the two that are broke on my bench. But if it ends up over my head, the repair shop wanted $200 a channel plus parts. So I may be looking at a $500 repair bill worst case scenario.
 I'm curious to hear any opinions about the two amps. I was thinking that the proceed would be nice if I ever wanted to move my two channel setup to a theater setup. Not really sure how the two would compare as far as sound goes?... I can't get the guy to bring the amp over and let me hear it in my stack. So the question would be how 125w's of proceed would compare to 250w's of carver? I do like to listen to my music loud. I'm running a Melos line pre and ADS speakers.

turkey

Re: Carver M500T or Proceed AMP 5?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2010, 12:32 pm »
I have a Carver now and have the opportunity to get a Proceed5 for around 9 bills. The Proceed has two non working channels and three good ones. I'm pretty sure I can fix the two that are broke on my bench. But if it ends up over my head, the repair shop wanted $200 a channel plus parts. So I may be looking at a $500 repair bill worst case scenario.
 I'm curious to hear any opinions about the two amps. I was thinking that the proceed would be nice if I ever wanted to move my two channel setup to a theater setup. Not really sure how the two would compare as far as sound goes?... I can't get the guy to bring the amp over and let me hear it in my stack. So the question would be how 125w's of proceed would compare to 250w's of carver? I do like to listen to my music loud. I'm running a Melos line pre and ADS speakers.

$900 for a broken amp sounds a bit pricey to me. It also says that the individual channels may be unreliable, since two of them are broken and not just one.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:27 pm »
I had the same thought -- seems awfully expensive for a broken amp.  I'm quite surprised that the Proceed gear retains its value so well.  These were only $5000 amps new and yet are still above $1,500 resale, even though Proceed hasn't been a company for quite a while.  Having said that, my friend has an all Proceed set up that I always thought sounded great. 

gerald porzio

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2010, 01:41 pm »
If you need the Proceed to be repaired thru Mark Levinson's auth. repair cent., they'll charge a flat $800 + parts. The Carvers were never made w/ SOA parts so there's always a potential repair looming. If $ permits, go new w/ a warranty.

utahtaper

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:23 pm »
If you need the Proceed to be repaired thru Mark Levinson's auth. repair cent., they'll charge a flat $800 + parts. The Carvers were never made w/ SOA parts so there's always a potential repair looming. If $ permits, go new w/ a warranty.
I actually called Levinson and they gave me a number to The Service Bench who gave me the above pricing. Of course I had to pull the channel out and send it. They said $800 would be a full overhaul.

So if $900 is a little high, what do you think would be a fair price to pay?

gerald porzio

« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2010, 02:48 pm »
W/o knowing exactly what parts need replacement, I'd just be guessing. Last time I checked good repair stations were charging $75/hr.

utahtaper

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2010, 01:46 am »
When you say SOA do you mean Service Oriented Architecture? Or State Or Art?
Hehe....

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2010, 01:52 am »
I have little respect for any Carvers, as I own a stack and sold off components from it until 1997.  They are not as powerful as they are rated.   Proceed with broken channels.  That does not sound appealing either.  Why not build a set of your own?  There seem to be many outfits where you can get Class D boards and really sturdy PS to build as many channels as you wish for equal or less than what you are thinking about paying for an amp from a defunct company.  Even this $800-900 repair bill, to be honest, it is quite expensive as it is.  There are other 5 channel amps that can beat all of these for the price you are expecting to pay for used amp+repair cost.  Why not try others?

gerald porzio

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2010, 02:00 am »
State of the art