What LPs have you listened to recently?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: What LPs have you listened to recently?
« Reply #7100 on: 25 Oct 2014, 02:45 pm »

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7101 on: 25 Oct 2014, 05:10 pm »
What a freakin system you must have there, mi Lady.  Bet it lights the front end of your room up like a Christmas tree.  I have a smaller version that fills the front end of my smaller room handsomely.  Ever get to Houston on business?  Make a couple hours available to me?  A bud has loaned me an all tube Joule Electra line stage (no longer made) that adds more drama than my ARC it has replaced.

HI Jim,

I am very blessed to have a system that makes listening to music very enjoyable, whether loud or soft. Our 3d quarter board of trustees meeting was Friday and I have everyone over Thursday night for BBQ (brisket, pork shoulder, fresh Alaskan Salmon) and Southern cookin'--a "board bonding event." Played lots of vinyl too. I had lots of comments about the sound as we listened to the Beatles in Mono, Dylan, Neil Young, The Doors and a few other artists.

I may be in Houston in mid November. Not sure, but I may come down for the Mizzou v A & M game on the 15th. I'll let you know.

Laura

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7102 on: 25 Oct 2014, 05:33 pm »

U2 Songs of Innocence. I've listened to it 3 times and I am really liking it.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7103 on: 26 Oct 2014, 03:29 pm »

1966 Atco

Got this when it first came out.  So good in so many ways.

R.I.P. Jack Bruce. 
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cream-bassist-jack-bruce-dead-at-71-20141025

neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7104 on: 27 Oct 2014, 10:54 pm »

1975 SteepleChase/Inner City

Rene' McLean - alto, soprano, tenor, flute
Danny Coleman - trumpet,  flugelhorn
Nathan Page - guitar
Hubert Evans - piano
Buster Williams - bass
Freddie Waits - drums

Rene' McLean is the son of Jackie McLean.  Rene' didn't record a lot of albums, not sure why.   This is a good one, a straight up, modernistic hard bop session.  The compositions hold your interest and the playing is first rate.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7105 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:00 pm »

1975 SteepleChase/Inner City

Rene' McLean - alto, soprano, tenor, flute
Danny Coleman - trumpet,  flugelhorn
Nathan Page - guitar
Hubert Evans - piano
Buster Williams - bass
Freddie Waits - drums

Rene' McLean is the son of Jackie McLean.  Rene' didn't record a lot of albums, not sure why.   This is a good one, a straight up, modernistic hard bop session.  The compositions hold your interest and the playing is first rate.
neo
I have Buster Williams on a Jazz Crusaders live album from the 60's and he's terrific!  Got it up tonite after football.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7106 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:06 pm »
I have Buster Williams on a Jazz Crusaders live album from the 60's and he's terrific!  Got it up tonite after football.

Jim,

turn the sound on your TV off and put the record on during the game. Much better than the talking heads. You know enough about football without listening to the announcers talk endlessly. Saturday I watched college football and then the World Series while listening to Neil Young, Bob Dylan and the Beatles. Best way to watch sports.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7107 on: 27 Oct 2014, 11:20 pm »

Good idea Vinyl_Lady. 

Jim,
Buster is a monster in the best sense of the word.  He must have 15 albums as a leader and plays bass on literally hundreds of albums.  I have him with everybody from Woody Shaw and McCoy Tyner to Dexter Gordon and Cedar Walton etc.  He's recorded a lot with Kenny Barron and was in the group Sphere.  My bass player friend used to drive to NYC for bass lessons.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7108 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:21 am »

1959 New Jazz

Roy Haynes - drums
Phineas Newborn - piano
Paul Chambers - bass

You can probably find this LP on an OJC reissue.  This one is worth seeking out.  Phineas Newborn was a brilliant pianist who was under recorded.  This is a really good record.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7109 on: 28 Oct 2014, 11:57 am »

1968 Blue Note

McCoy Tyner – piano
Woody Shaw – trumpet
Gary Bartz – alto sax, wooden flute
Wayne Shorter – tenor sax, clarinet
Ron Carter – cello
Herbie Lewis – bass
Freddie Waits – drums

This album was recorded after Time for Tyner.  You can feel the evolution on these two from straight up neobop, to semi avant-garde up tempo jazz.  These aren't sit back and relax type albums.  They're more of a challenge, requiring your attention.  Worth the effort.
neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7110 on: 28 Oct 2014, 01:04 pm »
That a pretty nice front line there, Neo.  Jazz was at it's heyday (for me) around this time.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7111 on: 28 Oct 2014, 05:43 pm »
That a pretty nice front line there, Neo.  Jazz was at it's heyday (for me) around this time.

Yea, the rhythm section isn't shabby either. 
Unfortunately, the hippy days weren't good for jazz musicians in general.  It was tough getting a gig - making a living. 
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7112 on: 29 Oct 2014, 03:21 pm »

1980 PA/USA

Joe Henderson
Chick Corea
Ron Carter
Billy Higgins

This is a mostly laid back session and might be a little different from what you would expect from Joe.  Great musicians and interesting interplay give good music even if it does not have quite the fire and explosive improvisation.   Good record nonetheless.
neo

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #7113 on: 31 Oct 2014, 11:35 am »

1975 Columbia

Phil_S

« Reply #7114 on: 31 Oct 2014, 09:45 pm »

One of my guilty pleasures

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7115 on: 31 Oct 2014, 11:55 pm »
Graceland- Paul Simon
Blues for Salvador- Santana
Picture Book- Simply Red.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #7116 on: 1 Nov 2014, 04:37 pm »

I know Neil may not be for everybody, but man does he care about SQ. His records are well recorded.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7117 on: 1 Nov 2014, 06:44 pm »
Neil Young- Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Reprise).  This is a courageous first studio album of his from the day in that it has long cuts.  Hats off to the producer and label.   

ACHiPo

« Reply #7118 on: 2 Nov 2014, 12:23 am »
Pink Martini and the Von Trapp singers "Dream a Little Dream"

CactusBob

• < Desert Rat >
« Reply #7119 on: 2 Nov 2014, 01:20 am »
Harvey Mandel  ~  Cristo Redentor

Phillips, 1968