Bryston Loudspeakers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston Loudspeakers
« Reply #1840 on: 3 Nov 2014, 02:05 am »
This is a fully ACTIVE version of the Model T;s.  The two 7B's run the woofers and the two 4B's run the Mids and Tweeters - the unit in the middle is the Active crossover.

james

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #1841 on: 3 Nov 2014, 03:58 am »
Hi Folks,

The Bryston Mini T speaker has done well at the studio level but it looks like the Middle T is starting to make inroads as well.

Hi James,

Do you have some info on the setup in the picture ?  Do they use the "Middle T" as near-field monitors ?  (It certainly looks like that...)

Is this actually possible/preferable with this size of a speaker ?

I know you mentionned that the Model T's were large dispersion speakers, but I guessed that the Mini T could be used near-field without much problem, but I didn't think that for the Middle T...  (Certainly not for the big Model T...)

Any thought on that ?

I've been eyeing the Mini T, but this could opens up some possibilities... :-)

Jimmy71

« Reply #1842 on: 3 Nov 2014, 05:15 am »
This is a fully ACTIVE version of the Model T;s.  The two 7B's run the woofers and the two 4B's run the Mids and Tweeters - the unit in the middle is the Active crossover.

james
james I was thinking of using 2 4bs for biamping will I have better quality like that? Or will I damage speakers or the amplifiers?do I also need a crossover?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1843 on: 3 Nov 2014, 11:53 am »
james I was thinking of using 2 4bs for biamping will I have better quality like that? Or will I damage speakers or the amplifiers?do I also need a crossover?

Hi

You will not need a crossover because when you biamp you are still using the passive crossover in your speaker.

Passive Biamping  (4 channels - 2 per speaker) can offer some benefits in that the power required to drive the woofer is not affecting the power amplifier driving the mid or tweeter. Much will depend on the load presented by the speaker crossover and the levels you listen at - room size etc. Assuming 1 amplifier is not being stressed by the speaker load and levels there would not be much benefit.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1844 on: 3 Nov 2014, 11:58 am »
Hi James,

Do you have some info on the setup in the picture ?  Do they use the "Middle T" as near-field monitors ?  (It certainly looks like that...)

Is this actually possible/preferable with this size of a speaker ?

I know you mentionned that the Model T's were large dispersion speakers, but I guessed that the Mini T could be used near-field without much problem, but I didn't think that for the Middle T...  (Certainly not for the big Model T...)

Any thought on that ?

I've been eyeing the Mini T, but this could opens up some possibilities... :-)

Hi AJ

Yes this studio has used both the Mini T and the Middle T and we assumed the Middle T would be more of a mid-field than a near-field but in this case the Middle T worked really well.  You are correct that the Bryston speakers have very wide dispersion and they also integrate the drives once you move back about 1 meter from the speaker so you can sit very close to the Middles and still get a coherent wave launch.

james

95Dyna

« Reply #1845 on: 3 Nov 2014, 08:05 pm »
Hi AJ

Yes this studio has used both the Mini T and the Middle T and we assumed the Middle T would be more of a mid-field than a near-field but in this case the Middle T worked really well.  You are correct that the Bryston speakers have very wide dispersion and they also integrate the drives once you move back about 1 meter from the speaker so you can sit very close to the Middles and still get a coherent wave launch.

james

James,

When you refer to "Bryston speakers" having this near field characteristic does that include the Model T?  I really enjoy sitting or standing back about that distance and having that headphone with the tactile component experience as an alternate listening position.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1846 on: 4 Nov 2014, 08:50 pm »
James,

When you refer to "Bryston speakers" having this near field characteristic does that include the Model T?  I really enjoy sitting or standing back about that distance and having that headphone with the tactile component experience as an alternate listening position.

Hi

Yes the multi driver systems mean you have to be a little further back but all our designs are based on integrating the wavefront as soon as physically and acoustically possible.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1847 on: 4 Nov 2014, 08:52 pm »
Hi Folks,

Working on the new Model T Center Channel:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #1848 on: 4 Nov 2014, 09:34 pm »
...you didn't put your name under the picture like you usually do...so i knew it was a joke :lol:

al.

srb

« Reply #1849 on: 4 Nov 2014, 09:38 pm »
I don't know, they do say the center channel is the most important speaker in an HT setup!   ;)

Steve

95Dyna

« Reply #1850 on: 5 Nov 2014, 03:30 am »
Excellent WAF, James.  Was that your first design priority?

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #1851 on: 5 Nov 2014, 04:26 pm »
It's not big enough!

More power! (How many 28Bs does it take . . . ?)

How many of these do we need for ATMOS? Can you help with ceiling mounting?

Rich

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1852 on: 14 Nov 2014, 06:28 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Customer Feedback from Israel

Bryston BP-6 Preamp, 4B SST2 Amp, and the Mini T's

“Though I’ve heard quite a few top end system combos which cost way more in the past years, not one hit the spot for me like the Bryston 4B and Mini T's combo.

I like everything about this speaker: size, build quality, driver arrange-ment and above all performance.

This is the first 3 way I’ve heard that handles all the frequency spectrum from sub to high frequencies with a kind of two way integrity and agility.

The Bryston Mini T's are no less than a revelation. The new Bryston T's monitors are one of a kind 3 ways that can run from ultra low frequencies to highs beyond the best two ways. They do it fast and agile while keeping control and grip.

A very fine achievement.

Thank you Bryston, we are in our debt.”

Itshak Vodzilovsky
Israel

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1853 on: 14 Nov 2014, 11:45 pm »
SUBJECT:Bryston Dealer Feedback

Hi James

System set-up: Bryston BP-26 Preamp, 4B SST2 Amp, BDP1 Player, BDA2 DAC on Model T's and Mini T's.  Short story for you.

Upon unveiling these speakers with anticipation one wondered how good can they be?  Well let me tell you, they play as big as they look. These speakers are silky smooth and the timbre is amazing even as I kept turning the volume up and up on this BP-26/4B SST2 combo. Not once did I hear compression happening in the midrange nor tweeter at these volumes.

These Bryston speakers are nice and relaxed but yet detailed…no listening fatigue with either one.  Both speakers are fast and the bass extension is unreal…are you sure there is no sub on?  The woofers are built like a massive car subs..Don't believe me take one out, I did..WOW!

For a company just new to the speaker industry I think Bryston is on to something amazing here! Can't wait to see what the future holds for Canada's finest…

Calvin Rhead   
Krazy Kiley's
2220 Dewdney Ave.   
Regina, Sask.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1854 on: 19 Nov 2014, 11:47 am »
Hi James,

Bryston Mini A at Warsaw Audio Show 2014-photo attached.

Very clever beast yet - ideal for small spaces

Very positive response at show James , in fact, very faithfully play with low gain so you can safely listen  late at night with full control of the mids and bass with no chance for an unexpected police visit.

Best regards
Marcel
MJ Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 19 Nov 2014, 01:45 pm by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1855 on: 21 Nov 2014, 06:11 pm »
SUBJECT: RMAF 2014

Hi Folks,

It is always nice when people who have been in the industry for decades acknowledge your products:

Hello James,

I have to say that it was wonderful to have the opportunity to work with the Bryston Team at RMAF 2014.
It was my first time to hear the Bryston speakers.  We had the Middle T’s for the show. 

What an impressive speaker!

A big, spacious soundstage, tonally neutral, with impressive dynamics, and powerful bass for that size speaker. 

The Middle T’s reach down low without sounding boomy or bloated. The 28B SST2 amplifiers gave an overall effortless presentation.

Truly an incredible value for the money.

Jerry Willsie

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1856 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:12 am »

Hi James

I've been demoing the Bryston A2 and A3 speakers a lot these days.

Really impressive!

Dave Holmes
Audio Emporium

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1857 on: 30 Nov 2014, 12:46 pm »
SUBJECT:UNSOLICITED ENDORSEMENT

December 2014

“Hello Peter.

Noticed your little review on experimenting with Bryston's new Mini-T loudspeaker for mixing in a recording studio. I am considering auditioning a pair of Mini-Ts for home use with my Simaudio integrated amplifier next time I am in Toronto.

Noting your extensive audio experience, would you have any comments on the following:

1) How fussy are the Mini-Ts regarding room placement?  I.E. Can they perform well if their backsides are only about 12 or 18 inches from the front wall? 

2) Do the drivers integrate well at a reasonably close listening distance such as 7 feet? Asking you, since I suspect that studio use might be more of a near-field experience.

3) How are they at quieter (lower decibel) listening levels? Any opinion if they lose their "magic" at quieter loudness levels?

I realize this e-mail is out of the blue and not related to your Mastering studio.”

Ron

“Hi Ron

We are all subjects to the laws of physics! They are a rear firing port design and at 18" they perform very well.

One of the great features of the Bryston Mini T speakers is their lack of localization of the drivers in a near-field set up. This indicates a extremely coherent phase complimentary cross over design.  These speakers suffer the least from the Fletcher Munson Curve (or what you call loss of magic) of any we've tested. We notice a reduction in monitoring levels because the mid to low bass is well represented at lower volume levels. (Charles Mingus would be happy)

These are not an incremental evolutionary improvement over existing speakers! These are a revolutionary price / performance improvement over existing speakers!

A lot of audiophiles are more into "fashion" then accurate sound and become easily bored, so be it. In our business, we live or die on how accurate and true we are to the the master recording and the new Bryston T series helps us achieve that.”

Yours Truly,
Peter J. Moore,
President,
The E Room Mastering Studios/MDI Productions.

Eatlxtr

Port Plugs for Mini T
« Reply #1858 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:00 pm »
I listened to the Mini T's today T my Bryston dealer and they were truly stunning. The absolute clarity and dynamic power was amazing. The only issue I had is that my listening room is only 10 by 13 feet and these can not be more that 12 inches from the back wall. When I moved the speakers that close to the back wall they produced slightly to much bass. The dealer suggested port plugs but I am concerned about messing up the balance of the speakers. I do have a Rythmik 12 inch sealed sub that can take the extreme low end (20 to 120Hz). Anyone with any idea how the plugs would work?

Thank you

Earl

BTW, I posted my demo review on WhatHiFi if anyone wants to read it. Called 'Bryston Mini T / PMC 24 Back to Back'

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Re: Port Plugs for Mini T
« Reply #1859 on: 30 Nov 2014, 04:29 pm »
I listened to the Mini T's today T my Bryston dealer and they were truly stunning. The absolute clarity and dynamic power was amazing. The only issue I had is that my listening room is only 10 by 13 feet and these can not be more that 12 inches from the back wall. When I moved the speakers that close to the back wall they produced slightly to much bass. The dealer suggested port plugs but I am concerned about messing up the balance of the speakers. I do have a Rythmik 12 inch sealed sub that can take the extreme low end (20 to 120Hz). Anyone with any idea how the plugs would work?

Thank you

Earl

BTW, I posted my demo review on WhatHiFi if anyone wants to read it. Called 'Bryston Mini T / PMC 24 Back to Back'

Hi Earl,

If you do get a build up of low bass in a small room the port plug helps a lot.  The plug just allows the low frequency response to roll off a little sooner so it does not overload the room if the room is having issues.  It will not change the Balance of the sound just the roll off point of the very low bass. 

That being said I have them in my 3rd sound room and it is 10 x 13 (no plugs) as well (see below) - I have them on the long wall about a foot from the back wall and they perform superbly! Anyone who hears them always comment on how BIG the soundstage is and how they disappear in the room - not to mention where did you hide the SUB?

James

PS - where did you hear them?

« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2014, 10:38 pm by James Tanner »