Human Model 8841 Speakers...Best Kept Secret on the Market ?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Human Model 8841 Speakers...Best Kept Secret on the Market ?
« Reply #20 on: 22 Jul 2016, 02:26 pm »
Or Dennis Murphy designs.  Or my long discontinued Meadowlark Audio Shearwater Hot Rods, great drivers (Scanspeak), simple crossover, great cabinet.  Lots of high quality designs for not too much mulla.

+1 for Meadowlark (although one pair literally put me to sleep during audition).   :oops:

Haven't been a fan of Murphy's designs I've heard.  Fritz Heller's stuff OTOH are nice.   :thumb:

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jul 2016, 05:52 pm »
Ha ha, yes, they are a bit on the laid back side, the way I like it.  And ya know, I've never warmed up to Dennis' designs either.  Everyone says they're so good so I figured it was me, or maybe the venue, maybe I wasn't wrong.

wushuliu

« Reply #22 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:56 pm »
My eyes glaze over as I see the words 'proprietary' for speakers.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #23 on: 22 Jul 2016, 08:59 pm »
Gary L. Koh, owner of Genesis Technologies says he still gets calls for parts for Genesis Physics speakers and they say "they want to keep their speakers running because their Genesis Physics speakers still.. Blow-Away Modern Designs"

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?21116-Human-Model-8841-Speakers-Best-Kept-Secret-on-the-Market

These Human Model 8841 speakers are a redesign Genesis Physics Model 66... that takes the Model 66 to the next level! The Genesis Physics Model 66's was their best sounding speakers and one of the best speakers on the market at that time!
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2016, 02:00 am by Crossoverless »

dB Cooper

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jul 2016, 12:18 am »
Yeah maybe, but the point some are making in this thread is, "that time" was ~30 years ago. Someone tried to resurrect the original Allison speaker line around Y2K, and the resulting company sank like a rock. People want something that seems new, even if it isn't that different.

The tweeter seems like it may have potential for DIYers though.

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2016, 12:46 am »
Haven't been a fan of Murphy's designs I've heard.  Fritz Heller's stuff OTOH are nice.   :thumb:

And ya know, I've never warmed up to Dennis' designs either.  Everyone says they're so good so I figured it was me, or maybe the venue, maybe I wasn't wrong.

I've tweaked my system to the point where my New Philharmonitors are excellent - though because they are revealing, they can be very harsh on high volumes with mediocre recordings. If you're ever in Moab, Utah (Arches National Park), stop by for a listen.

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jul 2016, 12:56 am »
Yeah maybe, but the point some are making in this thread is, "that time" was ~30 years ago. Someone tried to resurrect the original Allison speaker line around Y2K, and the resulting company sank like a rock. People want something that seems new, even if it isn't that different. 

The tweeter seems like it may have potential for DIYers though.

Modern Designs doesn't always mean... better sound!

srb

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jul 2016, 02:35 am »

No it doesn't, but to make an improved "modern classic" there's only so much you can do with cheap low-quality drivers of yesteryear.  At some point you're going to want to use modern high-quality precision drivers and parts that have been made possible with evolutionary advances in design, materials and manufacturing techniques.

Seas A26
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/seas-a26-10-2-way-kit-pair-based-on-the-classic-a25/

Steve

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #28 on: 23 Jul 2016, 04:17 pm »
No it doesn't, but to make an improved "modern classic" there's only so much you can do with cheap low-quality drivers of yesteryear.  At some point you're going to want to use modern high-quality precision drivers and parts that have been made possible with evolutionary advances in design, materials and manufacturing techniques.

Seas A26
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/seas-a26-10-2-way-kit-pair-based-on-the-classic-a25/

Steve

We should never judge a book by it's cover! I use to have pair of Genesis Physics Model 210's and I kept them until a few years back when some of the drivers stopped working. If I knew about Human back then I would still be using my 210's today! These 210's are really good speakers!! :P

If one of the reviewers here would do a review on a pair of Human Model 8841's...we all would find out just HOW GOOD Genesis Physics speakers really are too! :) :wink:

RDavidson

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jul 2016, 07:50 pm »
A few years back, Stereophile had a list of 10 or so classic components that not only sounded good, but also measured well. On that list were the EPI 100's. :thumb:

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #30 on: 23 Jul 2016, 09:05 pm »
A few years back, Stereophile had a list of 10 or so classic components that not only sounded good, but also measured well. On that list were the EPI 100's. :thumb:

The new modified EPI/Genesis Physics tweeters that Human makes today are among the Best...at any price! :P The $$$500 Genesis Physics 210's were one of best speakers you could buy back in 1981 and can still hang with some of the best Modern Designs day I bet!... :)

seikosha

« Reply #31 on: 23 Jul 2016, 09:08 pm »
My father bought a pair of Genesis 210 speakers back in the day for a second system.  He'd gotten them cheap when a local audio dealer was closing out on the brand.  Neither of us considered them outstanding speakers.  His Yamaha NS 690's clearly sounded better.

I bought them from him when I went to college and used them for a few years before selling them to a friend.  I replaced them with a smaller pair of Celestion Ditton's which, except for bass extension were better across the board.  It seems odd today to me today to read about these things being classics.

srb

« Reply #32 on: 23 Jul 2016, 09:12 pm »
The new modified EPI/Genesis Physics tweeters that Human makes today are among the Best...at any price!

I'll bet they have fantastic synergy with Maestro receptacles, Maestro power cords and Teflon tape!  ;)

Which model of the Human speakers do you own with the new modified tweeters?

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #33 on: 23 Jul 2016, 09:46 pm »
My father bought a pair of Genesis 210 speakers back in the day for a second system.  He'd gotten them cheap when a local audio dealer was closing out on the brand.  Neither of us considered them outstanding speakers.  His Yamaha NS 690's clearly sounded better.

I bought them from him when I went to college and used them for a few years before selling them to a friend.  I replaced them with a smaller pair of Celestion Ditton's which, except for bass extension were better across the board.  It seems odd today to me today to read about these things being classics.

I heard the Yamaha ns 690's back in the day and thought they sounded too bright compared to my Genesis 210's..we all have different taste !  :) :wink:

The Celestion Ditton's were better than the Yamaha ns 690's but they could not match the mid-range or highs or.. bottom end with the Genesis 210's!! :P  :wink:

Crossoverless

• Restricted
« Reply #34 on: 23 Jul 2016, 11:20 pm »
Here's some Human speakers with the new modified Human Tweeters hooked up to very very low level cheap gear too!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs0tDRdEjd4

undertow

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jul 2016, 01:15 pm »
"Modern Designs doesn't always mean... better sound!"

Your question was -

"Could this be the Giant Killers we have been waiting for....One of the Best At Any Price! ?  :scratch:"

Now I will tell you there are some killer speakers from the 80's, by far above and beyond many even today depending on price.

Do these hold up? Maybe if your looking for something very very basic.

Point is that there are better designs for your money, however nothing wrong with classics out there if you can make them work, but I agree with SRB and his comments that specifically in this case these are more or less just a very cheap driver with nothing really new to the mix. Only reason I can agree with this is having direct experience not only listening to them, but building them based directly on their designs, with their in house drivers.

Genesis / EPI it's like arguing that the original Wilson Watt/Puppies were and are still worth 15,000 a pair. They are not, and they do not hold up remotely to many other better designed even many cases cheaper speakers regardless of the years produced.

And that is all because I believe people were directly answering your question - but obviously you own them, and already made up your mind so no point trying
to change your mind about :

"Could this be the Giant Killers we have been waiting for....One of the Best At Any Price! ?  :scratch:"

sunnydaze

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jul 2016, 03:04 pm »
My eyes glaze over as I see the words 'proprietary' for speakers.

My eyes roll.    :roll:     :lol:

nickd

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jul 2016, 05:11 pm »

I would agree on that. Just finished restoring a pair of Altec Model 14's on Saturday. I listened to them quite a bit Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I switched off the rig to watch some news on the Home theater rig (Pioneer SC85 and very good RBH in-walls). The theater rig that I usually really enjoy, sounded broken after 2 days with the Altec's.  I even got up to check the settings! :lol:

Apparently, some old stuff is surprisingly good.

milford3

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jul 2016, 05:42 pm »
I would agree on that. Just finished restoring a pair of Altec Model 14's on Saturday. I listened to them quite a bit Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I switched off the rig to watch some news on the Home theater rig (Pioneer SC85 and very good RBH in-walls). The theater rig that I usually really enjoy, sounded broken after 2 days with the Altec's.  I even got up to check the settings! :lol:

Apparently, some old stuff is surprisingly good.

As per the Humans I've not heard them.  But yes, the old stuff I do miss.  My Ex has these.