BDP-2 Digital Player

Marius

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1540 on: 21 Jul 2016, 06:25 pm »

Seems that when I enable shareplay it will "uncheck" the MPD, and I need to keep going back to check the appropriate box in services if I am streaming digital files from my NAS, and vice versa.  Is this correct that both cannot be enabled at the same time ?

Yes, it is.
Before, it was possible to have all services enabled, but not all services were very clean in giving control over to the other. It was possible that while mpd was selected and in fact showing playing a track, nothing was sent to the DAC.

By making these services exclusive, Chris has made sure no such thing will happen again. Of course with the extra burden of selecting a service each time you decide to change.

Ive requested Chris if he can make that process a bit easier, and more obvious from within the MM interface, hope this will be possible in the next iterations of MM, or what comes next..

Cheers,
Marius

Tezza009

« Reply #1541 on: 22 Jul 2016, 02:10 am »
I did not have any issues with Shareplay with the way that it was - i.e. multi services on.

I normally use MPAD but now have to go into MM to turn off MPD and turn Shareplay on and vice versa. This is OK for me but an issue for the other users of my system who do not have the same understanding of how it all hangs together.

Marius

« Reply #1542 on: 22 Jul 2016, 06:07 am »

I normally use MPAD but now have to go into MM to turn off MPD and turn Shareplay on and vice versa. This is OK for me but an issue for the other users of my system who do not have the same understanding of how it all hangs together.

Check, this is indeed an unfortunate result of optimizing the possibility of having all different services available on the BDP platform. Robust, but inconvenient.

Maybe Chris and the Bryston team can work out a way to have all the checking and releasing internal computer services done without having the user to think about that. Up the wish-list priority scale for certain.

I don't have a Sonore MicroRendu, which has comparable services on board. Anyone here that can share whether these services are mutually excluded and have to be selected per service, or can be used at the same time without the user having to adjust the settings?

Cheers,
Marius

davidtgoh

« Reply #1543 on: 23 Jul 2016, 02:48 pm »
1.What specific tags on previously ripped music files does MPD recognize?  Anything beside File name (which shows up in the scroll I thin), Song Title, Album name, Artist, Genre, Track number, year, etc? 

2. For best results, with the music files on the hard drives, what should the folder that contain the individual tracks of an album be named, and what should the individual files be named? (this is in contrast to the tags).

3. Can the playlists on MPD be grouped into folders?

Loving the sound of BDP-2 and BDA-3!  I have attached one hard drive full of dsd rips of my SACD collection and another with rips of portion of my cd collection (all previously ripped into iTunes), and the internal HD of the BDP-2 has Hi Rez downloads.  I'm about the start the long process (with hopefully a few discoverable shortcuts) to create consistent tagging so I can begin to build MPD playlists.  I'm not ready to take the $2000 hardware jump to do Roon properly, and really want to have optimal sound quality above all (which feedback says that Roon still slightly compromises).

As a Classical and Jazz listener, I have used smart playlists to 1) group together various recordings of the same piece to compare performances, 2) group together the works of an individual artist (but perhaps performing with various orchestras or bands), 3) group together large cd sets (60 to 200 individual discs).  I'm really hoping that Bryston works out a way to one day provide a smart playlist feature.

David

dallyd31

« Reply #1544 on: 23 Jul 2016, 05:48 pm »

Yes, it is.
Before, it was possible to have all services enabled, but not all services were very clean in giving control over to the other. It was possible that while mpd was selected and in fact showing playing a track, nothing was sent to the DAC.

By making these services exclusive, Chris has made sure no such thing will happen again. Of course with the extra burden of selecting a service each time you decide to change.

Ive requested Chris if he can make that process a bit easier, and more obvious from within the MM interface, hope this will be possible in the next iterations of MM, or what comes next..

Cheers,
Marius

Would nice for sure if both could be enabled simultaneously.   Also would be great if something like the tunein app could be incorporated into MM for convenience.  Not sure if that is even a possibility though

MoPac

« Reply #1545 on: 23 Jul 2016, 05:55 pm »
davidtgoh:
 Don't know if this will be much help, but I am very "Playlist" oriented.  So here is what I do.

To the questions:
1.  I believe MPD recognizes ID3 tags with the exception of the album art which has to have a specific name; In my case it is folder.jpg.  In my ID3 tags ( created in DbPoweramp ) I only use Artist, Title, Album, Track, Year, Genre, Album Artist & I use the art which is in the same folder with the music tracks.

2.  The folder tree in my library is... Genre / Artist / Album. In the case of Classical the artist is the last name of the composer; Same in the tags.  I name the tracks with the track number prefixes 01, 02, 03 etc.  The track names in my ID3 tags do differ in that they do not include the track number 01, 02, 03 etc.  This may have been a mistake as MPAD gets the track order wrong on one of the search options; Can't remember which one, but I can live with that for now.

3.  Not sure about this question.  But what I do is create playlists in MPAD then save them in MM.  After that initial playlist creation process I may add new tracks, when I'm at the computer, using MM.  The Playlists I create for classical are performance type based: Ballet, Cello Concertos, Choral, Concertos for Orchestra etc...

As far as comparing different performances of the same piece, I usually do that by creating temporary playlists on MPAD.  For the most part this is done to decide which performance will make it into one of the permanent playlists.  Though I do see some value in making some competitive playlist permanent though. 

One MM glitch that is easy enough to work around may not be something that happens in every computer / browser setup.  In my case with XP and Chrome when I add a track to a playlist using MM then attempt to move it into the correct alphabetical location the sequence number does not change and the new track ends up back at the bottom of the playlist.  My work-around in MM is to... add the track, "Save" the playlist, "Clear" the playlist.  Then within the BDP network window open User / Playlists, right click on the playlist you just saved and open it in WordPad.  At the bottom of the WordPad doc you will see your new track.  Cut and Paste it to where you want it then click on the Save icon at the top of WordPad.  That's it.

Hope this helps.  Rich

Krutsch

« Reply #1546 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:01 pm »
1.What specific tags on previously ripped music files does MPD recognize?  Anything beside File name (which shows up in the scroll I thin), Song Title, Album name, Artist, Genre, Track number, year, etc? 

Here is the definitive list from the authors of MPD:

https://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/tags.html

XMAN

« Reply #1547 on: 31 Jul 2016, 07:14 pm »
When using the front panel controls this morning and playing an entire album the unit was unresponsive ie none of the control buttons would work.  When i operated MM from my computer it worked normally.

R. Daneel

« Reply #1548 on: 1 Aug 2016, 11:55 am »
When using the front panel controls this morning and playing an entire album the unit was unresponsive ie none of the control buttons would work.  When i operated MM from my computer it worked normally.

Hi!

I am troubled by the same problem.

The Next Track / Previous Track buttons on the player don't work like they should. Pressing the Next Track button will sometimes skip a few seconds of the track but won't play the next track. Then you have to press something else, like Pause, resume playback, and then it will work.

Strange as operating the player through it's network interface works fine.

Any thoughts? Debugging the front panel controls perhaps?

I like to use the BDP-2 as a CD player so this is a problem for me.

Cheers!
Antun

XMAN

« Reply #1549 on: 1 Aug 2016, 07:47 pm »
Hi!

The Next Track / Previous Track buttons on the player don't work like they should. Pressing the Next Track button will sometimes skip a few seconds of the track but won't play the next track. Then you have to press something else, like Pause, resume playback, and then it will work.

Cheers!
Antun
It is intermittent on mine.  Also the clicking after it completes a playlist but also not every time and not as big a deal. 

R. Daneel

« Reply #1550 on: 2 Aug 2016, 08:37 am »
It is intermittent on mine.  Also the clicking after it completes a playlist but also not every time and not as big a deal.

If it's intermittent, then it is impossible to trace the fault and that much more frustrating. As the Japanese say, it is either perfect or broken, there is nothing in beween.

It is a big deal for me as I use the player as I do a CD player. If I could use it's web interface, then it wouldn't be a problem. But I can't use it so it is a major problem for me.

Cheers!
Antun

Pundamilia

« Reply #1551 on: 2 Aug 2016, 02:08 pm »
Has anyone noted a lag in the display, i.e. the display doesn't always immediately update to show the track that is currently playing? I first noticed this with my BDP-1 and assumed that the issue was the processor, but the BDP-2 with a faster processor exhibits the same issue.

Tympani

« Reply #1552 on: 2 Aug 2016, 03:46 pm »
As the Japanese say, it is either perfect or broken, there is nothing in between.

Funny, I didn't see that in the Toyota Warranty Booklet :lol:

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1553 on: 2 Aug 2016, 05:46 pm »
Has anyone noted a lag in the display, i.e. the display doesn't always immediately update to show the track that is currently playing? I first noticed this with my BDP-1 and assumed that the issue was the processor, but the BDP-2 with a faster processor exhibits the same issue.

There is a lag with BDP-1. Since it has no impact on the SQ, I don't OCD about it.

XMAN

« Reply #1554 on: 3 Aug 2016, 12:50 am »
If it's intermittent, then it is impossible to trace the fault and that much more frustrating. As the Japanese say, it is either perfect or broken, there is nothing in beween.

It is a big deal for me as I use the player as I do a CD player. If I could use it's web interface, then it wouldn't be a problem. But I can't use it so it is a major problem for me.

Cheers!
Antun

Don't get me wrong the freezing of the front panel is a big thing the click after the playlist finishes is not a big deal to me

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1555 on: 3 Aug 2016, 12:52 am »
Hi!

Cheers!
Antun

Pushing the next/previous track buttons once per two seconds should trigger the player to go to the Nestor previous track.  Repeatedly pushing either buttons will cause the bdp to seek through the song.  This feature has been around for many versions of the firmware.

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #1556 on: 3 Aug 2016, 04:19 pm »
Pushing the next/previous track buttons once per two seconds should trigger the player to go to the Nestor previous track.  Repeatedly pushing either buttons will cause the bdp to seek through the song.  This feature has been around for many versions of the firmware.

Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris!

Yes. I am aware of that. It has been present on the BDP-1 as well. Still, I do not think it is that. Because even if you press the NEXT button in 5 second intervals, it won't skip to the next track.

RipTorn

« Reply #1557 on: 6 Aug 2016, 04:40 am »
I just purchased a previously enjoyed BDP-2 and look forward to listening to music this way ,.its going to be a first ,.

Samurai7595

« Reply #1558 on: 6 Aug 2016, 10:49 am »
I just purchased a previously enjoyed BDP-2 and look forward to listening to music this way ,.its going to be a first ,.

Enjoy, it's a great digital player!  :thumb:

XMAN

« Reply #1559 on: 6 Aug 2016, 03:42 pm »

Enjoy your new player a fine one indeed