PS4 features new DTS 7.1 streaming codec

RDavidson

Re: PS4 features new DTS 7.1 streaming codec
« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:29 am »
Why do you say they are apologists?  I don't understand?  Can you direct me to a link that has both video representations on a split screen and the reviewers discriminatory observations from an average viewing distance? 
I will not open that link up until both consoles are out.  If people are going to google that topic, I want a fair representation of what each console can do by our AC members.  Not, by what you and I can foresee of what games will look like in 5 years. 
Rdavidson, recently most new electronics cost well below manufacturing costs, of course I am alluding to the latest major gaming platforms of phones and tablets.
The PS3 cost around $300 more, I believe, than it cost to make when it first came out. That is the version I have.  Great machine except for that overheating problem, where it warped the board.  That was why M$ did not put in a blu-ray, which was the major cost of the PS3 as well as backwards compatibility.

Right. I was speaking about just the big 3 major game systems, not including handhelds and tablets and other things that have turned into gaming platforms. I think the Wii was the only system at the time of the previous big 3 launch to basically make profit almost immediately.......which we don't need to get into a discussion about. :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:39 am »
Compressed  videos are no longer (lol) adequate for gauging differences in high def graphics.

And 1080P is 2,073,600 pixels.

720P is 921,600 pixels.

I can tell on my little spare 32 inch! If you can't see the difference I would suggest an optometrist. The fact that several games are 1080P on ps4 suggests a huge power advantage that is clearly delineated in the specs.

$399 vs $499 to boot. Better and cheaper.

720P upscaled to 1080P will never ever, never ever ever beat 1080P native.

Rclark

« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2013, 05:57 am »
Understood, but what is "best" for you or "best" from a technological point of view are just 2 criteria for consideration. One of those criteria is important to others, the other probably not.........unless you give everyone free access to your system. :thumb: Some people like Ford. Others like Chevy. Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled. :lol: Regardless of technological advantages in either camp, they both have their place and people will chose what is "best" for them. I'm personally going to wait a year or two before jumping into either system. Though (right now) I'd probably choose the PS4, I can see where maybe an Xbox One might be the "best" choice for my household especially since I have kids. My 4 year old loves the the Kinect. Not that he's a discerning consumer, but his enjoyment has a place in my personal decision. He could care less about the PS4's technology. :lol: He just wants to have fun and obviously he and I differ on our ideas of fun. But since I'm the adult (most of the time) I must consider what is "best" for him too. For the record, I bought a gen one 360 about a year after it launched because a good friend had a 360. I didn't have kids at the time and had plenty of time on my hands. The decision was pretty cut and dry for me. Prior to the 360(s) I owned a PS2 for many years. Like I said, I'm no fan boy either way. Like my 4 year old, at the end of the day, I think we all just want to have fun and I think it is great that there is more than one system to provide this.

And that's cool. Hey, if you ever get a ps4, make sure to buy him Knack  :thumb:. It's great. And add me, we'll play.

If MS drops the Kinect and comes back with a realistic price ($299 is perfect, $350 is pushing it), I'll join you for the occasional exclusive.

Meanwhile, on topic, I don't have 7.1 yet, but just watching a premium streamed movie (superman on vudu HD) and some kther stuff on netflix, it's pretty clear the ps4 sounds and looks better than ps3. As it should, 7 years later.

I will compare my reference Bluray, Master and Commander, on the two systems.

Music Unlimited (I hope they change the name, lol) is beyond phenomenal on the ps4 and I have no desire to buy a new cdp any time soon and I had an Erc-2, which was bested.

Ps4 isn't a perfect device at launch, but everything it does, right now, it does flawlessly.

this_is_vv

« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:20 am »
Does it have analog output

Rclark

« Reply #24 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:31 am »
Haven't tried it? If you want me to compare dac vs dac I will bust out my battery and optocoupler and do a head to head there. I would have to imagine the ps4 dac smoke s the ps3. It has to. Already better as just a transport.

I've been using the marvelous Xda-2. That will change though.

Edit: yes it has analogue support through the auxiliary output.

this_is_vv

« Reply #25 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:33 am »
Haven't tried it? If you want me to compare dac vs dac I will bust out my battery and optocoupler and do a head to head there. I would have to imagine the ps4 dac smoke s the ps3. It has to. Already better as just a transport.

Waiting for your serious review

Rclark

« Reply #26 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:36 am »
Waiting for your serious review

Tommorrow.

this_is_vv

« Reply #27 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:53 am »

Edit: yes it has analogue support through the auxiliary output.

Interesting you using it as transport ...getting files from nas

Rclark

« Reply #28 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:58 am »
Music Unlimited. It sounds AMAZING on ps4.  Listening to it right now and have no regrets selling my cdp. It's God's gift to music lovers.

Anyone can try it though if they have android. Pretty sure there's a free trial. That's what hooked me.

this_is_vv

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:59 am »
Music Unlimited. It sounds AMAZING.  Listening to it right now and have no regrets selling my cdp. It's God's gift to music lovers.

What's your setup
music unlimited to ps4 to????

Rclark

« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2013, 07:03 am »
What's your setup
music unlimited to ps4 to????

Music Unlimted via ps4 through Emotiva X series optical cable to Emotiva Xda-2 with ASRC anti-jitter enabled, out to Ncore monoblocks via Emotiva X-series XLR cables, to Magnestand MMG's with Jupiter beeswax/Mundorf silver in oil crossovers and large scale diffusion in room.

The unsung hero: both ps4 and xda 2 are filtered by Emotiva CMX 2.

this_is_vv

« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2013, 07:04 am »
Music Unlimted via ps4 through Emotiva X series optical cable to Emotiva Xda-2 with ASRC anti-jitter enabled, out to Ncore monoblocks via Emotiva X-series XLR cables, to Magnestand MMG's with Jupiter beeswax/Mundorf silver in oil crossovers and large scale diffusion in room.

Great got most of my answers...I also have Ncore so that is common

Rclark

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2013, 07:11 am »
I was shocked by it. It was MU on ps3 that had my jaw on the floor. Same album on Erc 2 was no improvement.  And the Erc-2 is very high tech and was $499. Segmented power supplies, discrete everything.

Ps4..

It will be easy to compare. Abing will be a snap. Push a button on xda 2 remote, that fast. My Impression by ear is less fatigue,  less distortion on ps4.

HT cOz

« Reply #33 on: 22 Nov 2013, 03:37 am »
Kinect with your kids is fun.  Well worth the cost.

Woodsea

« Reply #34 on: 22 Nov 2013, 03:49 am »
Let's keep on topic of each thread.   :duh:  :wink:
I will open up the PvX thread on Sunday.  A whole 5 days early!