6c33-b tube socket

gagamut

6c33-b tube socket
« on: 25 Jul 2014, 01:34 am »
Hi,

6c33 tube socket,is it have a contact problem after use a few years?and need to replace a new one?thanks

Sam

gagamut

Re: 6c33-b tube socket
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2014, 03:19 am »
thanks for Charles,
and one more question,6c33-b is it need match when you bought??

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2014, 05:31 pm »
Hi,

6c33 tube socket,is it have a contact problem after use a few years?and need to replace a new one?thanks

Sam
No diminishing the suggestion of friend Xavier, this is the worst 6C33 socket there is, but its cheap, so cheap many Hi$$End manufacturers use it, it cost around $1 in China.

The ceramic is good the prob is the contact claw system, with the 200ºC the 6C33 delivery after afew years it fail as you reported, in the claw spring and in the copper rivet.
Also the ceramic may crack in the rivet area and the rivet loose.

The most rugged 6C33 socket I found today is this image, it cool the tube with freah air hence the tube floats in the pins:

It cost around $8 at GStubes afew years ago, unfortunately a guy from Slovenia has bought all the GStube stock and up the price to $20 each.
The good news are this other also military carbolite socket below also are great, it not hard as ceramic and the glove contacts are all semi-loose to not stressing the pins/glass seals and the price is very affordable:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2014, 05:39 pm »
thanks for Charles,
and one more question,6c33-b is it need match when you bought??
Some amps dont have individual tube Bias so the 6C33 needs to be pair machet.

Unfortunately this tube is near impossible to be matched in pairs, due the variace be too big among a lot of tubes.
All 6C33 amps builders know it and all they provide individual bias setting for his amps.

If a amp use various 6C33 tubes and dont have individual bias settings, its a mistake.

Btselect

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:54 am »
I have had the BATVK150se for about 12 years and have had no problems with the tube sockets, but I have changed out all of the caps and are about to change out all of the electrolytics for the second time, but  this time its because of the newer and better caps that have become available. 

I get my tubes from New Sensor as matched pairs, I then rematch them in the unit and I recheck them every 3-6 months thereafter.  When new they tend to drift apart after about 3 months or so, after that they tend to be fairly stable.

After the first cap change I noticed that the tubes lasted a lot longer with a lot less premature failures.

gagamut

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2014, 01:19 am »
Some amps dont have individual tube Bias so the 6C33 needs to be pair machet.

Unfortunately this tube is near impossible to be matched in pairs, due the variace be too big among a lot of tubes.
All 6C33 amps builders know it and all they provide individual bias setting for his amps.

If a amp use various 6C33 tubes and dont have individual bias settings, its a mistake.

Thanks for reply,
my amp is EINSTEIN Final Cut,i bought from second hand market,i didn't see any bias device on the front panel or top panel,so is it the amp can be auto bias??or the bias setting device is inside the amp??

Sam

gagamut

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2014, 01:35 am »
No diminishing the suggestion of friend Xavier, this is the worst 6C33 socket there is, but its cheap, so cheap many Hi$$End manufacturers use it, it cost around $1 in China.

The ceramic is good the prob is the contact claw system, with the 200ºC the 6C33 delivery after afew years it fail as you reported, in the claw spring and in the copper rivet.
Also the ceramic may crack in the rivet area and the rivet loose.

The most rugged 6C33 socket I found today is this image, it cool the tube with freah air hence the tube floats in the pins:

It cost around $8 at GStubes afew years ago, unfortunately a guy from Slovenia has bought all the GStube stock and up the price to $20 each.
The good news are this other also military carbolite socket below also are great, it not hard as ceramic and the glove contacts are all semi-loose to not stressing the pins/glass seals and the price is very affordable:

the wood socket can replace the ceramic socket?i mean the size is it the same?(position of screw holes)

gagamut

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:52 am »
one more things,how do i know the 6c33-b expired and need to replace??

Sam

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:27 pm »
one more things,how do i know the 6c33-b expired and need to replace??

Sam
Usually senile power tubes change the sound character, the sound becomes lifeless, the bass becomes soft etc

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2014, 05:36 pm »
the wood socket can replace the ceramic socket?i mean the size is it the same?(position of screw holes)
Yes, the brown carbolite sockets are smaller.
This expensive Teflon socket are the same size and will fit perfectly in the Xavier sockets:
http://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-73297.html
But surely you can get it in online HK shops at lower price.
Just ask by email they will supply you;
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2014, 07:43 pm by FULLRANGEMAN »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2014, 07:04 pm »
ALso there is an adapter for sockets, its inexpensive and work as tube cooler:
http://www.mafaudio.com/products/amplifiersspeaker-parts/shock-proof-plate/black-8pin-metal-tube-shock-proof-plate-6565mm-gdsp002-587.html
For the brown Russian socket you will have to work a bit to cut this adapter.

gagamut

« Reply #12 on: 29 Jul 2014, 12:48 am »
thanks  :D