Off to Capital Audiofest

Austin08

Re: Off to Capitol Audiofest
« Reply #20 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:55 am »
It is jazz variants Ozone]m.youtube.com/watch?v=oej7DImni6E]Ozone

The E3 was playing that perfectly.

IMO, for those who wondering the different between E3 and SS8, it would be a close call. The E3's Vocal has a bit fuller/thicker tone and a bit rounder/layback on top. The bass is a bit "looser" (it is tight but not as tight as the bass note from SS8). The E3 also has more grunt and slam. They sound more dynamic and effortless in the heavy passage. OTOH, the SS8's mid is more sweeter, softer tone with great ambience compare to the E3's vocal. I also felt the RAAL has better vertical dispersion and more extended. I was listening to both speakers through several songs and though they sounds very similar to each other only till I listened to the song above. Both speakers sound so good on that song but the SS8 seem a bit softer on mid and high while the E3 distributing the sound more evenly from top to bottom and kept the pressure constantly through out the song. If someone just care for acoustic, vocal, small jazz assembly and already owned the SS8, then there is no reason to rush into upgrading to E3. But if you love chest pounding, ultimate slam and has an extra $4000 then I would recommend they go for the E3.

dB Cooper

« Reply #21 on: 27 Jul 2014, 07:15 am »
The Salk/Philharmonic room kicked a** in many ways and was one of few that did dynamics really well. I guess 300 AVA WPC doesn't hurt. High on my shortlist for Best of Show.

JDCrae

« Reply #22 on: 27 Jul 2014, 01:43 pm »
Thank you so much for the information.  Pulled up the link to youtube and listened on my very cheap, very small bookshelfs.  Almost sounded like a different song lol. 

The Salk/Philharmonic Room was definitely one of my favorite rooms at the show.  I am looking forward to going again next year!

Austin08

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jul 2014, 02:19 pm »
The Salk/Philharmonic room kicked a** in many ways and was one of few that did dynamics really well. I guess 300 AVA WPC doesn't hurt. High on my shortlist for Best of Show.

Agree, first time listen to AVA amp and they did not lack any quality of real power house monster. The amp control the speaker with great authority no mater it is Phil or SS8. I also like the Phil slim tower, it has some serious bass for two little 6.5" driver. So does little Phil monitor, it sounds so good for the money.
« Last Edit: 27 Jul 2014, 11:42 pm by Austin08 »

Q3Di

« Reply #24 on: 27 Jul 2014, 11:03 pm »
Jim,
Nice talking to you. I love your speakers. They look so nice, especially the SS8. Owning Salk speakers is also an investing in a nice, exotic piece of furniture. Congrats to Salk owners. The Salk Rack is also awesome!

Have a safe trip!
Jimmy

meandaudiocircle

« Reply #25 on: 28 Jul 2014, 01:15 am »
Yes, Salk had a nice room and presentation at Capital AudioFest.  (no o is capital)

robcentola

Re: Off to Capital Audiofest
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jul 2014, 10:33 am »
Salk Rack?

KLH007

« Reply #27 on: 28 Jul 2014, 07:57 pm »
What a wonderful room, these guys worked hard as 100 LB plus speakers were swapped out routinely. When Jim played  La Bamba, The Ozone Percussion Group, Jazz Variants, Track 10, all mouths dropped open and we basked in the kick ass pressure the powered bass drivers were producing. The Exotica 3s are are a bargain, just a slightly different flavor than the SS8s, I preferred the E3s, their vocals, dynamics, transparency, and slam and low end extension are second to none, absolutely no need for a sub. Frank's electronics were part of this experience, and a great match. Dennis had his Phil 3s sounding superb, and his modded Pioneers at $165 a pair were great for the $.

Kemper
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2014, 01:08 am by 007KLH »

ernest787

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jul 2014, 09:14 pm »
those $165 speakers are intriguing.  I have STRT in the living room with a 10" tc sub. I have the HT3s in the family room for vinyl listening. I woulnd't mind a small system for the bedroom.  One day I'd love to get a pair of the Salk bookshelfs but for now those $165 speakers might be doable... as in I could probably convince the wife of that expense, lol.

mdfoy

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jul 2014, 11:35 pm »
This was my first audio fest, and I had a really good time.  It was really nice to meet and greet the people behind the equipment. Of special note was meeting Jim Salk who's speakers are excellent(I have HT1s), but his taste in shoes may be even better  :wink:

Salk/Philharmonic room

I really liked the Philharmonic 3, a very smooth, clean and open presentation with a touch of warmth.  The Salk SS 8 and Exotica's were most excellent. The differences between them comes down to what are you are really looking for. I think I saw the term effortless applied to them, I agree. Jim played one of my CDs on the SS8 and I go one of those " I know what I want when I  grow up" moments. The family values are apparent between the Philharmonic and Salk lines, and can say that if I couldn't get SS8s or Exotica's, I would be get the Philharmonic 3 without any reservation or regret.

Mike

Austin08

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jul 2014, 12:01 am »
One thing I have learned from the show, if you like something you heard at the show it would be likely you like them even more at home after setting them up properly. In my case, I would said that my SS8 at home sounds much better than the SS8 at the show.

resonance

« Reply #31 on: 29 Jul 2014, 08:10 pm »
Nobody got any more pictures of CAF ??

Q3Di

« Reply #32 on: 30 Jul 2014, 12:42 am »
Salk Rack?

It is a custom rack for Jim's use at the show. It is a nice looking rack that was used in the previous shows. I don't think that it is for sale. Anyone who is interested in a rack that would match the finish of their Salk speakers should request for custom order of the rack/amp stand (SoundScape Rack or Exotic Rack?)

robcentola

« Reply #33 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:07 pm »
Very interesting. Anyone have pics?

Austin08

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:34 pm »
Very interesting. Anyone have pics?

If you mean picture of the audio rack/stand

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #35 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:50 pm »
Equipment in Jim's equipment rack, top to bottom.

Salk Streamer
AVA Fet Valve CF vacuum tube preamp
AVA Fet Valve hybrid DAC
AVA Ultravalve vacuum tube power amplifier
AVA Fet Valve 600R hybrid power amplifier

Frank Van Alstine

robcentola

« Reply #36 on: 31 Jul 2014, 04:21 pm »
If you mean picture of the audio rack/stand

Nice rack.

Nuance

« Reply #37 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:34 pm »

sfox7076

« Reply #38 on: 31 Jul 2014, 10:28 pm »
Love the rack, but the UltraValve tube amp is a bit smushed.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #39 on: 1 Aug 2014, 05:38 pm »

Nice looking Rack that matches equipment. Also the most attractive Van Alstine equipment I've seen.

Hey,  what is that black box,  sitting on the floor, right side of the Rack?