5.1 MUSIC AMAZING NEW RECORDING

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« on: 16 Mar 2006, 02:49 am »
Guys,

The new Fagen SE (Morph The Cat) includes a DVDA disk, and it's quality mixing. Elliot Scheiner's best to date.

Want something to really hear surround music - this is it. Hope you have a full set of ACI's and a great amp.

Sorry if you don't like the style. Really sorry if you don't have a good DVDA transport ;)

E

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2006, 04:04 am »
Love the DVD-A mix. Elliott and the Donald do it again.

Saw Donald and his band tonight in Cleveland.  It was a GREAT show.  Although the new album doesn't quite have the energy of Kamikiriad and The Nightfly, it will grow on you.  And his presentation of three of the cuts tonight were fantastic.  He also threw in Black Cow, Pretzel Logic, FM and Home At Last from the Dan catalog.  

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread.  I agree the mix is incredible, and will sound great on ACI stuff.

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2006, 05:23 pm »
ted

No hijack at all(or static ;) ) - Wish I could head Up Nawth to one of the shows. Caught the first SD tour here in the south.

The tracks are subtle - It took a few passes to get everything (had a 2track early last week), but in 5.1 it opens. A fellow listener commented on how dense some sections were, but there seemed to be lots of air in the track at the same time.

ES seems to be evolving on this one. Previous DVDAs had the stationary back Vocs in right rear and horns in left rear. This one's more guitar centric, and he lets the RS hold the 2nd,3rd guitar parts. An interesting `Stage Position' this time around. He doesn't normally like tricks, but I noticed a few quick radial pans. Fun stuff.

I like full range on the ACIs for this. The perfect speaker for the way these guys mix and Q.

E