X-Omni lining question - built and playing

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
X-Omni lining question - built and playing
« on: 22 Oct 2014, 09:01 pm »
Danny,

How does this look for NoRez and Acusta stuff in the X-Omni's?

Mike
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2014, 09:14 pm by mlundy57 »

persisting1

Re: X-Omni lining question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2014, 09:22 pm »
mlundy57, are you building one of every kit Danny sells?

Please say yes  :lol:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2014, 09:33 pm »

Does seem that way doesn't it? I only have so much room and so many family members. If I can find enough folks who want me to build them some speakers I might just get there  :eyebrows:

The AV1-RS do look interesting  :thumb:

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:23 am »

I think that's a great idea.

And the X-omni stuffing looks great too.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2014, 03:27 am »
I think that's a great idea.

And the X-omni stuffing looks great too.

Thanks Danny.

I should have them playing this weekend. They will stay raw MDF until after Thanksgiving and I find out whether my stepson wants them or whether I'm going to keep them.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: X-Omni lining question - built and playing
« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2014, 07:18 pm »
The X-Omni's are finished and burning in. I have listened to some music and watched a couple of movies with them. All those folks who have said omnidirectional speakers have a large sound are correct. While they have the same drivers as a pair of X-LS Encores, the X-Omni's do a better job as front mains.

By themselves, so far the X-Omni's have been a little thin on the bottom end (don't know how much that will change with time) but when paired with the single X-Sub you see in the picture, everything fills out nicely.  Do I like them better than my LGK Wedges, No, of course not. But then a pair of X-Omni's and a small sub are only a fraction of the cost of a pair of LGK Wedges plus a pair of OB base units.

If you are considering a pair of X-LS Encores or X-SLS Encores and have the room to get the speakers 3ft from the wall, give the X-Omni's some serious thought. While they look a little different, the X-Omni's will reward those willing to give them a shot with fuller, richer sound (remember the ugly duckling?).   

The speakers are not finished at this point because my step-son is going to listen to them when he is here for Thanksgiving. A finish won't be decided on until then.

Mike
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2014, 08:57 pm by mlundy57 »

jazyes

« Reply #6 on: 3 Nov 2014, 10:02 pm »
Mike,

Kudos on your X-Omni build. I've followed your previous projects and have always been impressed (learned an awful lot too, Thanks!!). I have built a pair of
X-LS Encores with all of the upgrades as well as a X-CSE. I am really, really enjoying them. So much so that I was thinking about building a pair of X-Static's.
What is your experience with this OB kit? I've searched the A.C. and found very favorable opinions. I would kindly ask your impression of the sound since you built many of Danny's designs. FYI, not ready for the Wedge just yet. I'm focused on the X-Static right now and of course I would upgrade the X-over etc. Thanks.-John

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2014, 01:19 am »
Mike,

Kudos on your X-Omni build. I've followed your previous projects and have always been impressed (learned an awful lot too, Thanks!!). I have built a pair of
X-LS Encores with all of the upgrades as well as a X-CSE. I am really, really enjoying them. So much so that I was thinking about building a pair of X-Static's.
What is your experience with this OB kit? I've searched the A.C. and found very favorable opinions. I would kindly ask your impression of the sound since you built many of Danny's designs. FYI, not ready for the Wedge just yet. I'm focused on the X-Static right now and of course I would upgrade the X-over etc. Thanks.-John

John,

I don't have any experience with the X-Static, either building or listening to it so I can't give you a first hand opinion. Like you I have only read good things about them. If you like the Encore speakers you have and you have the room for open baffle speakers I would think you would like the X-Statics.

When looking at build threads, be sure to include folks who have built the OB7's like Jay and Neil. There is a lot of similarity in the cabinets.

Mike 

jazyes

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2014, 11:09 am »
Will do. Thanks Mike.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2014, 05:02 pm »
What is your experience with this OB kit? I've searched the A.C. and found very favorable opinions.

The X-Statik ups the sensitivity to 91db. So they will play to higher SPL levels than the X-LS models. They are also more transparent through the mids giving them more of the instruments are in the room with you feel rather than them playing at you from a speaker. With two woofers handling the lower range they can handle higher SPL levels more easily and be cleaner at lower SPL levels. They are a pretty nice step up across the board to the X-LS models. You just need a little more room for them.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 4 Nov 2014, 05:06 pm »
How far from the wall do the Omni's need to be?

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 4 Nov 2014, 05:09 pm »
How far from the wall do the Omni's need to be?

At least 3 feet or more from any wall.

Keithh

« Reply #12 on: 4 Nov 2014, 07:34 pm »
If using the X-Omni as a surround, how does being closer than 3 feet to one wall effect the sound?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 4 Nov 2014, 08:15 pm »
If using the X-Omni as a surround, how does being closer than 3 feet to one wall effect the sound?

The on axis combines with the wall reflection with a delay that causes some cancellation patterns. Also the short time delay sounds like a smear of the original signal. A longer time delay is heard as ambiance. You need a good 6ms delay or longer.