Shaun's SS7 monitors (and subwoofer) in candy-striped padauk

jsalk

About a week ago, a friend called to ask how we were doing.  He hadn't seen any new posts of builds for a while and wondered if that meant we were not shipping.  Well, it didn't.  It just meant I wasn't getting around to posting pics.  So this week, I will try and post a few every day.  Here's the first...

Shaun wanted a pair of SS7 monitors.  But he wanted something very unique.  He located a batch of candy-striped padauk (quite rare) and we purchased it.

He also asked that we build them in a floor-standing format.  So we did.

Here are the results...

And a close-up...

Since the M7's play down to 45Hz, Shaun also had us build a 15" down-firing Rythmik sub in the same finish (which I did not take a picture of).

Happy listening Shaun!

- Jim

Tomy2Tone

Very nice!

Are these sealed? And is the crossover designed any different know they will be used with a sub?

Top notch as always!

jsalk

Very nice!

Are these sealed? And is the crossover designed any different know they will be used with a sub?

Top notch as always!

No, these are ported.  If not, they wouldn't even play down to 100Hz.  As built, these will play down to 45Hz where the sub will take over (unless Shaun crosses them higher to unload some bass duties from the M7 Monitors).

- Jim

- Jim

Jumpin

I guess you would call this "Eye Candy"

sdennie

One thing that Jim didn't mention is that the veneer pattern *exactly* wraps over the top of the speakers and back down the other side.  I actually own eleven Salk speakers now so, I knew what level of quality to expect but, these new ones are pretty incredible looking.  They are basically excellent sounding art.

I actually cross them over at 60Hz since it's easier to flatten out the bass using a NanoDigi (Digital In/Out version of a MiniDSP).  I was also surprised at how loud they play with a 100W amp (I believe they are only 84dB sensitive).

SlushPuppy

Those look GREAT!

Big Red Machine

I guess you would call this "Eye Candy"

+1

Tomy2Tone

Now I see the reference to "candy stripe". Crappy thing they call a computer monitor I have at work did not reveal the true beauty of this veneer! Thanks iPad.