LampizatOr Golden Gate - A User Review

Gopher

LampizatOr Golden Gate - A User Review
« on: 15 Oct 2015, 04:42 pm »
I was just alerted to this fantastically thorough review of the Golden Gate by a happy end user.

Bill did a wonderful job of describing what he was experiencing in his world class rig and deserves a read!   :thumb:

https://audiophilebill.wordpress.com/2015/10/15/lampizator-golden-gate/

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
Re: LampizatOr Golden Gate - A User Review
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2015, 04:50 pm »
Fred,
Super review & well deserved! I've only heard the "Big 7" and that was super impressive! I can't imagine a better sounding DAC!

Congrats!
Pete

Gopher

« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2015, 02:59 pm »
Thanks, Pete!

I've been desperately trying to sort my schedule and get some sort of command on my life back, but one of these days we'll get together and you'll hear mine.   :thumb:

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2015, 12:55 pm »
would love to hear one

sfox7076

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2015, 02:48 pm »
Assuming people are ok with evening sessions, Brooklyn and single ended, people are welcome to work out times with me.  My current setup:

Mac Mini with LPS (Uptone audio filter installed) connected to a NAS.  I have largely been running JRiver because HQPlayer basically requires me to have the TV on.
Dana USB cable
Lampizator Golden Gate with Western Electric 275As (or Western Electric 300Bs) and an Footscray made 5R4GY by STC (bests my 50s Western Electric 274B, but must be Footscray/D (maybe box is a better description) Getter.  Oldway sounds like any other 5R4GY).
Ziro audio interconnects
Concert Fidelity LSX with CBS 7318 tubes (preamp is for sale. Killer preamp.  Only selling to move up the CF line.  Will include a ton of 12AU7s to play with).
Ziro audio interconnects
1625 based custom P-P amplifiers (100 watts a channel of 6L6 goodness)
Danacable speaker cables
Salk Exoticas

Other sources are a crappy DVD player and an AMG turntable.

My room is a challenge, but the sound is awesome enough for me.

wisnon

« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:31 pm »
Shawn please email me the link to Footscray. Didnt realize you found one!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2015, 04:57 pm »
Thanks, Pete!

I've been desperately trying to sort my schedule and get some sort of command on my life back, but one of these days we'll get together and you'll hear mine.   :thumb:

Hey Fred how about you demo one at our Audiosyndrome May meeting at Triode Pete home. We miss ya .

charles

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2015, 11:49 pm »
I think that sounds like a plan, Rollo.  I'll calendar it now so I have no excuses later.   :lol:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:57 pm »
I think that sounds like a plan, Rollo.  I'll calendar it now so I have no excuses later.   :lol:

Great news Fred. Thanks Man.

charles

vert

« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2016, 10:10 pm »
Assuming people are ok with evening sessions, Brooklyn and single ended, people are welcome to work out times with me.  My current setup:

Mac Mini with LPS (Uptone audio filter installed) connected to a NAS.  I have largely been running JRiver because HQPlayer basically requires me to have the TV on.
Dana USB cable
Lampizator Golden Gate with Western Electric 275As (or Western Electric 300Bs) and an Footscray made 5R4GY by STC (bests my 50s Western Electric 274B, but must be Footscray/D (maybe box is a better description) Getter.  Oldway sounds like any other 5R4GY).
Ziro audio interconnects
Concert Fidelity LSX with CBS 7318 tubes (preamp is for sale. Killer preamp.  Only selling to move up the CF line.  Will include a ton of 12AU7s to play with).
Ziro audio interconnects

Sounds like you're running USB from the mac,  but you will get very good results with a CD player (as a transport) connected via a Ziro digital cable. I could never get my rips to sound anywhere as good as even a modest CD player used as a transport.

I have a Cambridge audio CD player as a transport and the Ziro digital is very good with the Ziro Disclosure ICs.

Also replace the fuse on the Lampi with an Audio Magic Beeswax fuse and your jaw will drop. Maybe a bigger upgrade than spending $$$ on the moving up the CF line.

Lissnr

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jan 2016, 11:45 pm »
Thanks Bill, great review! I'm loving my Big 7 and recently added a Synergistic Research Red fuse which brought it up another notch! Unbelievable huh? Wonder about it in the GG? I'm looking forward to your "Part 2" of review. Enjoy.  :P