BDP-2 Digital Player

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1760 on: 22 Dec 2016, 11:54 pm »
Currently it's only used to cache images from tidal, so if your either not using tidal or have a reasonable fast internet connection then likely not.

Thanks for the reply.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1761 on: 30 Dec 2016, 12:15 pm »
Hi James

Just a note to give my impressions on the upgrade of my set up from BDP-1 to BDP-2 which I have just received. I found that the sound is now cleaner for all the frequencies. There is more finesse to the sound now.

With the upgrade from 7BSST2 / BDP-1 / BDA-1 to 7B3 / BDP-2 / BDA-3 the improvement is as I had hoped. Clearer presentation, better control and soundstage. Musical instruments like guitars, saxophones, etc have more 'air' and decay probably due in part to the black background. It feels more like a 'live' presentation and more musical.

I have been using an Emotiva ERC-3 as a cd transport to feed the BDA-3 so perhaps the next step is a BCD-3! I must say that due to the excellent BDP, I have hardly used cd to play back. How do you find the BCD-3?

Attached are photos of my set up if you are interested.

Keep up the excellent work!

Thanks
Hong
Brunei

tie_breaker

« Reply #1762 on: 31 Dec 2016, 05:52 am »
Beautiful setup!!  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #1763 on: 31 Dec 2016, 03:42 pm »
Beautiful setup!!  :thumb:
+1 on that - looks like a showroom

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #1764 on: 5 Jan 2017, 10:48 pm »
Just found a free MPD music player that works nicely on my Windows 10 laptop.  It's called Chimney and is available in the Microsoft store.  Although I've just started using it, it seems like a really nice player.  Anybody else have a nice MPD player working on Windows 10 that they can recommend?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #1765 on: 6 Jan 2017, 09:19 am »
Quick question--does the BDP-2 deal with DSD files with a PCM conversion?  Have you guys considered supporting mqa?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1766 on: 6 Jan 2017, 11:08 am »
Quick question--does the BDP-2 deal with DSD files with a PCM conversion?  Have you guys considered supporting mqa?

Hi Matthew

The BDP-2 uses DOP which uses PCM as a carrier - it is a true DSD file not a conversion.

No plans for MQA - not required  given the current sate of digital high resolution file capability and bandwidth quality.

james

XMAN

« Reply #1767 on: 9 Jan 2017, 01:42 am »
Every so offen after unplugging my player I get an error 09 code.  In the last one it wouldn't boot unless I disconnected all cables exempt the power cable but when I plugged in my hard drive it wouldn't load.  So I rebooted and it worked so multiple boots to get it working again. Any ideas?

X

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1768 on: 9 Jan 2017, 03:12 pm »
It's likely one of your drives causing the problem, you should see if you can't narrow down to which one it is and eraseit using disk information.

XMAN

« Reply #1769 on: 9 Jan 2017, 03:27 pm »
I'm using an external SSD so it wasn't plugged in. Are you suggesting i reformat my drive?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1770 on: 9 Jan 2017, 03:42 pm »
Yes, using disk information built into manic moose

http://www.bryston.com/PDF/Manuals/BDP-2_MM_Manual.pdf

Blik9

« Reply #1771 on: 10 Jan 2017, 03:46 pm »
Hi Matthew

The BDP-2 uses DOP which uses PCM as a carrier - it is a true DSD file not a conversion.

No plans for MQA - not required  given the current sate of digital high resolution file capability and bandwidth quality.

james
So there are no plans to let the Manic Moose Tidal app handle mqa files?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1772 on: 10 Jan 2017, 03:51 pm »

Hi

Not currently but Chris Rice may be able to answer if its possible.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1773 on: 10 Jan 2017, 04:11 pm »

From what I have read of Tidal's FAQ pages is that mqa can only be accessed via there own applications.  The API they have setup for us appears to only serve us the standard flac lossless version of the file, otherwise is it would have been a simple feature to add for those who have MQA capable DAC's.

Cheers,
Chris

Krutsch

« Reply #1774 on: 11 Jan 2017, 06:21 am »
From what I have read of Tidal's FAQ pages is that mqa can only be accessed via there own applications.  The API they have setup for us appears to only serve us the standard flac lossless version of the file, otherwise is it would have been a simple feature to add for those who have MQA capable DAC's.

Cheers,
Chris

Of course, the BDP is "RoonReady" so when Roon incorporates the MQA software decoder, the BDP will be able to playback SOFTWARE decoded files from TIDAL (88.2 or 96 / 24) or pass-thru MQA files for hardware decoding from an attached MQA-enabled DAC.

The magic of Roon...

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #1775 on: 16 Jan 2017, 12:46 am »
Hi Matthew

james

Thanks so much.  :)

zoom25

« Reply #1776 on: 19 Jan 2017, 02:58 am »
I wanted to ask BDP owners if they've tried Sonarworks and how/if it has affected their BDP use? Just curious...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #1777 on: 19 Jan 2017, 05:23 pm »
I wanted to ask BDP owners if they've tried Sonarworks and how/if it has affected their BDP use? Just curious...

Isn't that like an EQ used for headphones mainly? Why would one use it with a BDP?   :scratch:

EDIT: Ah I get it. Room correction for speakers.

zoom25

« Reply #1778 on: 19 Jan 2017, 08:04 pm »
Isn't that like an EQ used for headphones mainly? Why would one use it with a BDP?   :scratch:

EDIT: Ah I get it. Room correction for speakers.

Well, it goes for headphone use as well. I was currently doing BDP -> DAC/Headphone amp -> HD 800

Now, the BDP is replaced by MacBook Pro (Audirvana Plus running Sonarworks). Before Sonarworks, I preferred the fidelity of the BDP-1. However, now the Sonarworks fixes too many things about the HD 800 that it's actually worth it over just BDP-1.

For speakers, I'm still using the BDP-1, as GOOD room correction is a LOT more trickier.

Krutsch

« Reply #1779 on: 20 Jan 2017, 08:32 pm »
Well, it goes for headphone use as well. I was currently doing BDP -> DAC/Headphone amp -> HD 800

Now, the BDP is replaced by MacBook Pro (Audirvana Plus running Sonarworks). Before Sonarworks, I preferred the fidelity of the BDP-1. However, now the Sonarworks fixes too many things about the HD 800 that it's actually worth it over just BDP-1.

For speakers, I'm still using the BDP-1, as GOOD room correction is a LOT more trickier.

I experienced similar results with Sonarworks and the HD-650, so I've been using a setup similar to yours (MBP + Audirvana). With the HD-700, I wasn't as pleased with the results listening to classical music, so I've gone back to tubes + BDP-1 for that genre. Maybe the HD-800 correction is better.