Vandersteen 2w output issue with my reference 3a MM deCapo's....

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer

I posted this in the Bent Audio forum -though I bought the magnetic volume control from them-.  but I guess this might be the proper forum.
I had been having trouble getting the proper sw output -volume- from my Vandersteen 2w sw in conjunction with my Reference 3a deCapo's. The sw output is not sufficient and I gather for these reasons: 1. The 2w is old from circa 1992 although it seems to work well,  2. the efficiency of the de Capo's is 92 db, almost the limit of the sw attenuation -which is 94db- dial so there is not much volume control leeway. and 3. I strongly believe that the 2w/ 2wq is for really full range speakers. It really works well with my Quad 988's.

I use a  a 6db high pass  line level passive xover at 80 hz in the preamp with 2 caps. The sw is connected to the power amp outputs and then the sw amp/xover equalizes the low frequency respose from there. So how could I increase the sw output? In came the Tx 102 magnetic volume control with the 6db gain set in. I connected the amp outputs to the tx inputs and from there on to the sw. Now I can dial additional output. But the curious thing is that the output is increased by dialing the volume dial counterclockwise. I don't know if this is a proper implementation but is seems to work. If any of you know anything about this that I should let me know.Thanks.