speedTwelve

Jolly

speedTwelve
« on: 1 Jan 2016, 02:29 am »
 Will a smaller version, perhaps with an 8" driver, of the speedTwelve be introduced in 2016?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: speedTwelve
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2016, 04:09 am »
Hi Jolly,

I'm trying to talk Louis into it. 

Ultralight

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2016, 07:48 am »
I don't understand.  How is a Speed 8 or 12 different in terms of audio results from one of this downward firing 8 or 12 'woofers'?  Same drivers right?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2016, 07:57 pm »
Front firing has more "direct" bass than down firing which has more diffused bass.  Front firing is more articulate but a little more difficult to place in the room and dial in than a down firing sub.  There are no doubt exceptions to this rule such as the excellent HSU Mid Bass Module which I've heard and love.

The drivers for the speedTWELVE and the hoped for speedEIGHT are the same as the deepOmega 12 and 8.

slefley

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jan 2016, 01:54 am »
If the height of the Speed12 is around 26" with spikes could I put my 3i's on top instead of on a 26" stand?  In that configuration would the 2 speakers blend seamlessly?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2016, 05:07 am »
Front firing has more "direct" bass than down firing which has more diffused bass.  Front firing is more articulate but a little more difficult to place in the room and dial in than a down firing sub.

At the frequencies a sub produces the speaker is omni-directional (ie both should be equally diffuse). Only differences should be due to floor loading.

dave

gab

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2016, 05:25 am »
Will a smaller version, perhaps with an 8" driver, of the speedTwelve be introduced in 2016?

I am waiting for the speedFour design in a octal swarm arrangement. Hopefully in 2016?

mrvco

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2016, 04:51 am »
Did something happen to the SpeedTwelve?  The link seems to have disappeared from the website.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2016, 03:51 pm »
Hi mrvco,

Louis asked me to take the SpeedTwelve off the website as there was very little call for it and to order a shipment of the (very expensive) drivers is not worth it for a tiny handful of orders.  He is looking at doing a double 8" with a small footprint.  The current deepOmega 8 is staying in the line.

Louis O

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2016, 01:26 am »
Hi All,

Thanks Canada Rob for your post and looks like a dual 8" sub will happen. It will be front firing. I wouldn't mind doing some Outlaw subs too. This dual 8 will replace the 12.

Thanks again,
Louis

mrvco

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2016, 04:46 am »
Thanks for the update.  Will the deepOmega8 be reoriented to front firing as well?

I think it is about time to replace my front firing Velodyne HGS-10.  I have it turned up just enough to blend in with my 7XRS MK2s.  It's not working very hard relative to what it is capable of, so I'm thinking that a single 8 (e.g deepOmega8) will be sufficient.

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2016, 09:14 pm »
Hi mrvco,

Thanks and I have made the deepOmega 8 front firing before to great results. I can make them again.

Thanks,
Louis

mrvco

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2016, 02:38 am »
Thanks Louis, I'll be giving you a call in the coming weeks once I get a couple pieces of unused gear sold.

Louis O

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2016, 03:56 pm »
Hi mrvco,

Thanks and look forward to speaking with you and building the sub.

Thanks again,
Louis