Crown XLS- for the rest of us!

RDavidson

Re: Crown XLS- for the rest of us!
« Reply #1420 on: 23 Jul 2015, 04:37 am »
That's interesting. I had a J2 for about a year also. REALLY liked that amp with my Omegas. The J2 was built with single driver speaker use in mind (not that it couldn't be used well with other speaker types), so it probably isn't coincidental I enjoyed the synergistic pairing so much.

rufusblues

« Reply #1421 on: 23 Jul 2015, 11:16 am »
Thanks everyone for your input. I should have the amp next week, with 10 days to make up my mind. I think it will be clear much sooner than that if the amp stays or goes. In an email correspondence with Nelson, he said himself that this amp is not for everyone, it has its' admirers.....and I will find out what camp I fall into. He's a straight shooter.

Roscoeiii, I noticed you've owned several First Watt amps, but didn't realize you also owned the M2 model? In any case, if the M2 doesn't work out, I may try the tube buffer route. I have xlr cables and I was told that the adapters would not fit into the unit (too crowded a space for the rca jacks), but I will use the appropriate rca interconnects to at least be able to check it out.

I will be sticking with the Tektons though. A really great, all around speaker, especially for the price. And don't get me wrong, I think the combination of the Crown and the Tektons is pretty incredible in many ways! But I also don't think it's an 'accident' that many of you have some tubes in the chain somewhere with the Crown amp.....And I won't get into the straight wire with gain debate. I may be wrong, but I think I am finding that neutral, neutral, neutral may be too much of a good thing, as can too much coloration. Finding out what sounds best in ones own system and listening environment seems key, and we all have our personal preferences. For example, I am particularly sensitive to top end harshness, brightness. Where some may prefer a sparkly, etched treble.....I may be going for less air and sparkle. Nothing 'wrong' with either, as I see it. (I am not, in this example, necessarily referring to the Crown amp; like I said, I think it's an amazing amp with great potential, as I have found out with all the changes I made this past year since owning it).

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #1422 on: 23 Jul 2015, 01:24 pm »
Don't  know if this is good price or not but Musician's Friend site has Stupid Deal of the day which has  XLS1000 for $149.

RDavidson

« Reply #1423 on: 23 Jul 2015, 03:49 pm »
From what I've read, the XLS1000 is the red headed stepchild of the XLS family. Not sure why exactly, but its performance lags compared the 1500 and above. The 1000 would be great for less critical applications, though.

steve f

« Reply #1424 on: 23 Jul 2015, 10:47 pm »
The XLS 1500 and higher use a different front end circuit from the XLS 1000. If you are going to use the amp for subs it's fine. For a full range amp, I'd spend a bit more for a 1500. I'm working from memory here, but the 1500 on up have about 6 DB less distortion too.

rufusblues

« Reply #1425 on: 23 Jul 2015, 10:54 pm »
Interesting to read more input about peoples' experiences with the First Watt amps. If the M2 is not a good 'fit', I will likely continue to work with the XLS2500. It's been a revelation of sorts since I purchased it, and that is why I invested in upgraded power cords, footers, etc. It has responded to all upgrades.

Gone are the days of many local hi fi shops that would give you the chance to check something out at home. Luckily there are places like Reno Hi Fi; not cheap, with shipping costs, etc., but at least it gives you the chance to hear something in ones' own system and listening environment. I see it as a continued learning experience, even if it doesn't work out.

jk@home

« Reply #1426 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:37 am »
I think the cheapest on line price for the 1500 right now is a little over $200 from B&H Photo. I need to buy a third unit, as I am moving them into the HT system. Want to wait for the cheapest price...but not before they all sell out. :) Don't really need the new and improved 1502 version.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1427 on: 24 Jul 2015, 03:49 am »
The XLS 1500 and higher use a different front end circuit from the XLS 1000. If you are going to use the amp for subs it's fine. For a full range amp, I'd spend a bit more for a 1500. I'm working from memory here, but the 1500 on up have about 6 DB less distortion too.
..and, strangely, the depth of the case goes from 7.7" to 10'7" between the XLS 1000/1500 and 2000/2500. I wonder what accounts for that extra depth.

SlyFuu

« Reply #1428 on: 25 Jul 2015, 08:38 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up picking up the xls 1500, it should be here Wednesday. Excited to hear how it sounds.

rufusblues

« Reply #1429 on: 29 Jul 2015, 08:37 pm »
Just an update for those interested about my experiences with the First Watt M2 amp. Mark at Reno kinda warned me ahead of time it might not be what I was looking for, and in email messages with Nelson Pass, he also said it was not an amp for everyone, and I would find out what camp I fall into. Well, it is on its' way back to Nevada. It just didn't mesh with my system. If I were to use one word that best describes how it sounded, again...in my system....it would be muddy. I don't mind a relaxed sonic signature, but it felt like a lot of the music I am used to hearing in the tracks I know so well had gone missing. I learned that this amp is a favorite among some people using very high efficiency horn loudspeakers, and it may be that the details that were lacking in my system with that amp  become apparent in such a set up. Could be that an F6 would be more my cup of tea, but its' price makes it unobtainium for me at this time. (I guess that is why the heading for this thread is "Crown XLS For The Rest of Us..."  :duh:)

I do have an I FI tube buffer on order, since it comes so highly recommended by some of you. But even if for some reason that doesn't work out for me, I am quite happy for now with my Crown XLS2500 driving the Tekton Lore Reference speakers. It sounds quite amazing, actually.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #1430 on: 29 Jul 2015, 09:12 pm »
Quote from: rufusblues/
... I am quite happy for now with my Crown XLS2500 driving the Tekton Lore Reference speakers. It sounds quite amazing, actually.
I would be surprised if you could improve on that combination for anything less than multiples of the investment, especially if dynamics are of any importance to you.

jk@home

« Reply #1431 on: 30 Jul 2015, 12:10 am »
A few more places on line are selling new 1500s for a little over $200 now, so I imagine they are clearing out old stock for the 2nd gen units. Ordered a third amp from GC today for 209, with 12 months freeeeee financing.  :D

OzarkTom

« Reply #1432 on: 30 Jul 2015, 01:59 am »

rgilbert8000@hotmail.com

« Reply #1433 on: 30 Jul 2015, 11:28 pm »
New to AC. Ozarktom I've read all post twice looking for info on your cryo man but only found where you ask to be PM'ed about it except I can't PM anyone because I'm new here. I read he does these Crown xls amps for $30 for you I think. I have 3 I would like done and want to use your resource if possible. Please PM me the info or email it to me ( email is in my profile).

OzarkTom

« Reply #1434 on: 31 Jul 2015, 02:50 am »
New to AC. Ozarktom I've read all post twice looking for info on your cryo man but only found where you ask to be PM'ed about it except I can't PM anyone because I'm new here. I read he does these Crown xls amps for $30 for you I think. I have 3 I would like done and want to use your resource if possible. Please PM me the info or email it to me ( email is in my profile).

Check your email.

rgilbert8000@hotmail.com

« Reply #1435 on: 31 Jul 2015, 03:37 am »
Thanks Ozark. Do you know if the Silas audio mod are still being done by Folsom.

OzarkTom

« Reply #1436 on: 31 Jul 2015, 03:41 am »
Thanks Ozark. Do you know if the Silas audio mod are still being done by Folsom.

I don't know on that one.

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #1437 on: 14 Aug 2015, 07:56 pm »
[quote
I do have an I FI tube buffer on order, since it comes so highly recommended by some of you. But even if for some reason that doesn't work out for me, I am quite happy for now with my Crown XLS2500 driving the Tekton Lore Reference speakers. It sounds quite amazing, actually.
[/quote]

It is reading quotes like this that really make me want the Crown/Lore Reference combo. Loved my M-Lores.  :D

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #1438 on: 14 Aug 2015, 08:22 pm »

Folsom has been posting a lot recently on AC, you should be able to track him down pretty easy.

Greg

Folsom

« Reply #1439 on: 14 Aug 2015, 11:00 pm »
PM me.