Is Peachtree Audio Full of It?

ajzepp

Re: Is Peachtree Audio Full of It?
« Reply #80 on: 29 Mar 2013, 05:28 am »
I like the DAC in this Nova so much that I'm going to send back the Micromega MyDac that I bought a couple weeks ago and place an order with my dealer for the Peachtree Dac-It. I don't know if it's the Sabre dac, or the design of the circuit, or whatever...but it's just ridiculous how good the Nova sounds. Two more amazing examples of fidelity tonight....First, I fired up a Netflix movie on the AppleTV (what a great device this is!!!) and watched in glorious 2-channel Magnepan/Peachtree sound...it was fanastic. Vocals were dead-center and clear as a bell, action scenes were realistic and detailed, just a really nice experience even though the movie was just so-so ("Stolen" with Nicholas Cage). Second, I fired up the YouTube channel on the AppleTV (have I said how amazing this device is?) and was truly shocked. When I use the youtube channel on my Oppo player, the sound is a bit thin and un-involving. With the Peachtree/AppleTV I watched a video game trailer and the sound was out of this world.

I usually use the lady friend as a litmus test, cause she cares JUST enough about audio to be encouraging when I buy new toys, but not enough to where she gets all that excited. When she looks over at me with big eyes, that's when I know she's impressed and can easily tell that whatever I bought has made a difference. She couldn't believe it when I fired up the video game trailer, and she was so excited about how the internet radio sounded that she wants me to fire up that ambient noise station we found while she has clients over this weekend for their massages. (She's a licensed Massage Therapist who has some of the Atlanta Falcons players as clients since we live right near their headquarters.) 

The one thing I will say with absolute certainty is that in terms of value, the Nova is EASILY a 10/10. I"m still analyzing the differences between how it sounds now and how it sounded with the Butlers bi-amped, cause there is a lot to consider, but I'll save that for another day. In terms of just dollar for dollar value, this piece just blows it out of the water. As we all know, there are stand alone DACs that cost as much or more than the Nova does, so to have all this in one box and sounding this good, I just don't know how else to say it....Bravo, Peachtree!!!!

ltr317

« Reply #81 on: 29 Mar 2013, 03:45 pm »
I like the DAC in this Nova so much that I'm going to send back the Micromega MyDac that I bought a couple weeks ago and place an order with my dealer for the Peachtree Dac-It. I don't know if it's the Sabre dac, or the design of the circuit, or whatever...but it's just ridiculous how good the Nova sounds. Two more amazing examples of fidelity tonight....First, I fired up a Netflix movie on the AppleTV (what a great device this is!!!) and watched in glorious 2-channel Magnepan/Peachtree sound...it was fanastic. Vocals were dead-center and clear as a bell, action scenes were realistic and detailed, just a really nice experience even though the movie was just so-so ("Stolen" with Nicholas Cage). Second, I fired up the YouTube channel on the AppleTV (have I said how amazing this device is?) and was truly shocked. When I use the youtube channel on my Oppo player, the sound is a bit thin and un-involving. With the Peachtree/AppleTV I watched a video game trailer and the sound was out of this world.

I usually use the lady friend as a litmus test, cause she cares JUST enough about audio to be encouraging when I buy new toys, but not enough to where she gets all that excited. When she looks over at me with big eyes, that's when I know she's impressed and can easily tell that whatever I bought has made a difference. She couldn't believe it when I fired up the video game trailer, and she was so excited about how the internet radio sounded that she wants me to fire up that ambient noise station we found while she has clients over this weekend for their massages. (She's a licensed Massage Therapist who has some of the Atlanta Falcons players as clients since we live right near their headquarters.) 

The one thing I will say with absolute certainty is that in terms of value, the Nova is EASILY a 10/10. I"m still analyzing the differences between how it sounds now and how it sounded with the Butlers bi-amped, cause there is a lot to consider, but I'll save that for another day. In terms of just dollar for dollar value, this piece just blows it out of the water. As we all know, there are stand alone DACs that cost as much or more than the Nova does, so to have all this in one box and sounding this good, I just don't know how else to say it....Bravo, Peachtree!!!!

From my experience, it's the Sabre DAC AJ.  Not everyone likes the Sabre sonic presentation but I do. 

ajzepp

« Reply #82 on: 29 Mar 2013, 04:10 pm »
From my experience, it's the Sabre DAC AJ.  Not everyone likes the Sabre sonic presentation but I do.

Well if that's the case then I'm a Sabre fan, as well.  :thumb:

mca

« Reply #83 on: 29 Mar 2013, 04:44 pm »
I thought I had read that someone out there is doing mods to the Peachtree units. One of those would be really interesting to hear.

satie

« Reply #84 on: 1 Apr 2013, 07:49 am »
AJ

Have you tried passive biamping with the Butler multichannel driving the top and the Nova125 doing the bottom? You just need a pot on the butler ( assuming the gains on the amp section of the peachtree is smaller than that in the butler - but they might be close to equal).

ajzepp

« Reply #85 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:22 am »
AJ

Have you tried passive biamping with the Butler multichannel driving the top and the Nova125 doing the bottom? You just need a pot on the butler ( assuming the gains on the amp section of the peachtree is smaller than that in the butler - but they might be close to equal).

Unfortunately I can't even consider that option at the present time...I got off work early today and wanted to really rock the house, so I turned up the gain on the Peachtree to around 2:00...

...let's just say that it took about twenty mins to get the fire alarms to turn off....

....RIP Peachtree Nova 2013-2013

:x

neekomax

« Reply #86 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:35 am »
Unfortunately I can't even consider that option at the present time...I got off work early today and wanted to really rock the house, so I turned up the gain on the Peachtree to around 2:00...

...let's just say that it took about twenty mins to get the fire alarms to turn off....

....RIP Peachtree Nova 2013-2013

:x

Wait what?! Are you saying the Nova blew up or something?  :o Dude, noooooooo....

medium jim

« Reply #87 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:40 am »
Ouch....tell me it is an April Fools Joke!

Jim

ajzepp

« Reply #88 on: 2 Apr 2013, 01:46 am »
aw hell, I can't even joke about that happening...it hurts to imagine!!

April fools it is  :D

neekomax

« Reply #89 on: 2 Apr 2013, 02:06 am »
aw hell, I can't even joke about that happening...it hurts to imagine!!

April fools it is  :D

Ah, you got me.

ajzepp

« Reply #90 on: 2 Apr 2013, 02:18 am »
Ah, you got me.

I can't even tell you how devastated I'd be if it actually happened lol

By the way, one of our fellow AC'ers was asking me about the headphone jack, so I did spend a little time with it this weekend. With my 600ohm Beyer T1s, it was nice and clean but fell short of the sound I get when I drive them with my Meier amp. I don't know if the Peachtree is designed to drive headphones with an impedance higher than 300 ohms or not, but I can tell you that when I switched over to my Grado GS1000s the sound was beautiful. Full, rich, dynamic...very very nice. Probably the best I've ever  heard the Grados sound, and they sound really nice with both my Little Dot and Meier amps.

So the jury is still out with tougher to drive phones, but with lower impedances the sound is excellent.

ajzepp

« Reply #91 on: 7 Apr 2013, 02:39 am »
If anyone else is looking for some Peachtree goodness to pair with their Maggies, I see one of our fellow AC'ers is selling a very nice combo in the Trading Post

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115638.0

mca

« Reply #92 on: 8 Apr 2013, 12:30 am »
I have Been considering either the nova 125 or the grand integrated to use with my Von Schweikert VR33 speakers. With the high praise you have for the nova 125 with your Magnepan speakers, I'm starting to wonder if the grand integrated would be overkill?

ajzepp

« Reply #93 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:20 am »
I have Been considering either the nova 125 or the grand integrated to use with my Von Schweikert VR33 speakers. With the high praise you have for the nova 125 with your Magnepan speakers, I'm starting to wonder if the grand integrated would be overkill?

That Grand Integrated really looks nice. I can't speak to how much of an improvement it would be over the 125, but you have some beautiful speakers there. I think if there are gains to be had with the step up to the Integrated, you are certainly in a great position with those beautiful Von Schweikerts to benefit from it.

You can probably gather how I feel from my posts in this thread, but basically I went from looking for an inexpensive solution that would allow me to put my Maggies back in use in a dedicated living room system, to feeling as if I hit an out of the park home run with a product that I'm not sure I will have any desire to upgrade. I had some friends over tonight for a Wrestlemania party, and the way the Peachtree/Maggie rig  brought the event to life was very impressive. At this point, and much to my surprise, if I did decide to play around with the idea of an upgrade later this year, I can see myself moving up to the Grand Integrated, as well. Peachtree has really earned my confidence here, and once I find something that works well (and I feel confident that my frame of reference for that is pretty good, at least in terms of my own preferences) I tend to stay with it.

I also have been putting this combo through the paces with movies. Last night I watched Lincoln (amazing film, btw), which was mostly dialogue driven but also had a few battle scenes interspersed throughout. I just don't think I could have asked for more, not only with Lincoln but with everything I've thrown at it thus far.  I'll tell you what impressed me most about it: There were several scenes where the congressmen were arguing and yelling at each other...I felt like the audio was so detailed and natural that every voice was distinct and delineated from the next, and the sound stage was so precise that it really felt as if I had the entire congressional body dispersed around the living room. I'm just weird and always listen for things like that, cause I find that those are the details that can allow a movie to come to life. Explosions and gunshots are great, but I'm a detail junkie and the Maggies let me know when they have the right dancing partner to give me what I love. A great example would be when I had my Outlaw Audio monoblock amps several years ago. Those were a great pairing for my former Paradigm Studio/100s, and I consider them a solid value, but they just couldn't do what the Butler could. I was pretty resigned to taking a step down from the Butler when I decided to buy the Nova, so knowing that I'm still getting all this amazing detail and subtlety in the presentation is extremely satisfying.

If you do happen to pick up either piece to pair with your speakers, I hope you'll post some thoughts...I'd love to hear about how well it works with those 33s!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #94 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:07 am »
The magazines follow where AJZepp goes: nice write up in this month's TAS about the Peachtree/Magnepan combo.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #95 on: 22 Dec 2013, 06:22 pm »
I recently heard the Peachtree Grand Integrated with Magnepan 20.7 at my local Maggie dealer.
The Peachtree sounded pretty good with the big Maggies.
Plenty of power.

kylevuong19

« Reply #96 on: 28 Jul 2015, 10:55 am »
@ajzepp: Hi mate, I'm also running Peachtree Audio Nova 125SE with MG12 and planning to buy a power amp (or mono blocks power amps) to add more power to the Peachtree (using Pre out). Do you still keep your Peachtree and did you change/upgrade anything since this topic started?

ajzepp

« Reply #97 on: 29 Jul 2015, 12:26 am »
Oh THIS is the thread you were talking about in PM...just sent you a response :)

Short answer: Still the same...Peachtree driving the 3.6s and kicking butt. Butler 5150 amp on HT duty until I get a house again when it can drive the Maggie HT rig.

ajzepp

« Reply #98 on: 29 Jul 2015, 12:55 am »
This is embarrassing but I just April Fooled myself retroactively...
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=115197.msg1208420#msg1208420

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #99 on: 31 Jul 2015, 08:17 am »
You really did blow it up this time?