Best speaker stand ever.

Danny Richie

Best speaker stand ever.
« on: 1 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm »
These could be the best speaker stands ever. They will be for a lot of applications.

I am just building up the first pair and thought I'd share this with everyone. I am building some stands that have an 8" servo sub on each side of the stand and the HX300 servo amp on the inside facing side panel.

These are open baffle woofers so they need no full box. So the air space is nothing. They face to the sides. This does have some force cancelling benefit too. And as you can see from the pics the back is open.

With the back open the output from the side and from the back will cancel each other out. So they will have no output on the back side of the stand. But they will have output on both sides and in front of the stand.

This means that they can be placed near the front wall and there will be no coupling effect from the wall. So no room boom from the front wall at all.

Rotating them now you can see where the amp and woofers mount.

In this pic below you can see them from the front. They are only 6.25" wide and only 10.75" deep.

Rotating them again for another front corner view.

And I designed to be built out of 3/4" material. It is well brace of coarse and I will line it with No Rez.

They will get a bottom plate for floor spikes and a top plate for the speakers to sit on. So they will get a little taller. The center section is only 26.5" tall. So when finished they will be just about right. They will be 28" tall plus the floor spikes.

And with the servo controls these will do just about anything you want them to. They can even play to a -3db down of 20Hz. Now your little mini-monitor turns into a full range speaker without getting any bigger.

More on the HX300 amp here: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/compact_amplifiers.html

I might even offer some in-line passive filters for mini-monitors like these.

Pretty cool huh....  :thumb:

mcgsxr

Re: Best speaker stand ever.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2014, 10:35 pm »
I have played with OB for closing on a decade now.

This is really really cool.

Nice work Dannie!

ebag4

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm »
I would be very interested to read your comments on this configuration vs an H frame once you get to hear them.  I am debating which direction to go for a base for my LGK MMTMM and this is one of the options (but with 12s)

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2014, 10:50 pm »
Those are cool Danny :thumb:
Questions regarding dispersion and upper range of crossover. How high up can they run to support and transition to a bass shy open baffle monitor?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2014, 11:29 pm »
Those are cool Danny :thumb:
Questions regarding dispersion and upper range of crossover. How high up can they run to support and transition to a bass shy open baffle monitor?

Technically they have the capability to cross up to 300Hz. I would still target 200Hz and down though. And that gives most guys a LOT of wiggle room. Most mini-monitors play much lower.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:37 am »
Technically they have the capability to cross up to 300Hz. I would still target 200Hz and down though. And that gives most guys a LOT of wiggle room. Most mini-monitors play much lower.
Suitable for N2X's? A friend here has a pair for mixing down live recordings he does and I've been trying to talk him into servo subs for quite a while. Might be just the ticket  :thumb:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:46 am »
Suitable for N2X's? A friend here has a pair for mixing down live recordings he does and I've been trying to talk him into servo subs for quite a while. Might be just the ticket  :thumb:
That's what I was thinking.  Two 8" servo's per side.  Heck yeah!  One could even put a pair in the back of the room!  This is a system that should be at RMAF 2014.   :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:55 am »
[I might even offer some in-line passive filters for mini-monitors like these.

[/quote]

:thumb: :thumb:
I'll keep a close eye on this part....any anticipated values?

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:57 am »
Tom,
Tell Paul he needs to check these out!  The 8" servo's sound great here in the open baffle I have.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2014, 01:10 am »
[I might even offer some in-line passive filters for mini-monitors like these.

:thumb: :thumb:
I'll keep a close eye on this part....any anticipated values?

Values really depend on the input impedance of the amp being used.

persisting1

« Reply #10 on: 2 Oct 2014, 03:05 am »
This is very interesting and something I might have to try  :green:

Danny, any chance you can design a speaker with this as the bottom portion and use your M-165NQ drivers and the Neo 3 up top? Something similar to the OB-5/7, but all open baffled.

Early B.

« Reply #11 on: 2 Oct 2014, 03:06 am »
Very cool.

Danny -- any plans to design a DIY open baffle monitor using your M165NQ drivers and a Neo3 that can sit on top of these speaker stands?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 2 Oct 2014, 03:06 pm »
X-Otica drawings have been sent over to Ben so he can cut me a sample baffle.

The Neo 3 needs to be set back 1.5" to align it to the voice coils of the M165NQ woofers. So a 1.5" thick front baffle makes the wave guide for the tweeter just the right depth.

The baffle has three of the 8" servo subs right below the MTM.

It's coming....

AKLegal

« Reply #13 on: 2 Oct 2014, 04:26 pm »

Sealed or OB?

Danny Richie

« Reply #14 on: 2 Oct 2014, 04:31 pm »
Sealed or OB?

All open baffle.

skalos

« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2014, 05:01 pm »
Perfect for a pair of N3S kits I have almost completed for a room that is too small for "a normal open baffle design"... except for being 6.25 inches wide.  Visually, I would like something the same width as the N3S to integrate the woofer with the monitor. 

Any ideas on using this and building up width to match the width of the N3S?

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2014, 05:09 pm »
Perfect for a pair of N3S kits I have almost completed for a room that is too small for "a normal open baffle design"... except for being 6.25 inches wide.  Visually, I would like something the same width as the N3S to integrate the woofer with the monitor. 

Any ideas on using this and building up width to match the width of the N3S?

Adding some width will be no issue with these.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2014, 09:07 pm »
X-Otica drawings have been sent over to Ben so he can cut me a sample baffle.

The Neo 3 needs to be set back 1.5" to align it to the voice coils of the M165NQ woofers. So a 1.5" thick front baffle makes the wave guide for the tweeter just the right depth.

It's coming....

Awesome, looking forward to it.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2014, 10:12 pm »
As much as I think this is genius, I'd probably still only want them firing out.

Danny, could these principles be applied to a subwoofer closer to the ground? While that design appeals to some, my first and foremost is life compatibility, and I can't deal with just huge boxes. I'm sure two is better, but I live without subwoofers as is....  Also I'm going to have to be talked out of this subwoofer position/direction with force. I spent too many months getting imaging to be forceful and good with bass instruments and what not, without room treatment stuff.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2014, 11:25 pm »
Hope this might help some of the folks trying to wrap their heads around what's going on with these stands, here are a couple of links I've read in the past comparing H-frame open baffle speakers (the configuration like on the V-series speakers), and U-frame open baffle speakers (the configuration these stands are in; still OB, just with a different radiation pattern into the room)

http://www.quarter-wave.com/OBs/U_and_H_Frames.pdf

http://www.musicanddesign.com/u_frame.html