telescope help for a beginner

rif

• Not a cowboy
Re: telescope help for a beginner
« Reply #40 on: 29 Aug 2014, 02:07 pm »
Good news: I now know a lot more about astrophotography and what is needed for a really basic setup, even if that knowledge is depressing.

BAD NEWS: I hope you guys don't mind me venting. They INCREASED the price of my scope. That's one strange labor day sale.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #41 on: 6 Sep 2014, 12:55 am »
Orion SkyQuest XT 8!!

Is an 8" aperture, 1200mm focal length on a dobsonian base.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #42 on: 1 Oct 2014, 09:57 pm »
Vixen VMC200L and a Sphinx mount.  I did a complete 180.

If anyone is following this, let me know and I'll keep posting.  Otherwise I'll back off.

*Scotty*

« Reply #43 on: 2 Oct 2014, 12:18 am »
Keerap! :o What happened to the $400 price ceiling. That is a damned serious setup that will do astrophotography and visual observing,sweet.
Scotty

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #44 on: 2 Oct 2014, 01:00 am »
Well I purchased them used, so I only exceeded the budget by a few hundred percent  :thumb:

I wasn't too crazy about the dob, so I started looking elsewhere and the costs kept going up. Hopefully this one will last me many years.

*Scotty*

« Reply #45 on: 2 Oct 2014, 01:31 am »
If you are using for astroimaging it sure will be good for a long time. If you start chasing faint fuzzies visually you will be wanting more aperture sooner or later and the Dob is the most cost effective means get it. I am a visual observer and I made a jump from an 8inch Celestron Cat to a Discovery Dob of 15inches diameter. It is more troublesome to setup and transport but a big enough change upward in light gathering power to enable to see things which were previously invisible in the eight inch telescope. With your setup you can just take a longer exposure or stack short exposures to image fainter objects.
Have fun with your new scope, you can always post some of the images celestial you capture here.
Scotty