microRendu power connector takes things up to 11

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
microRendu power connector takes things up to 11
« on: 13 May 2016, 10:05 pm »
I received my upgraded DAC module today so that it could power the Sonore microRendu when using any of the digital inputs on the LIO.  It was taking the place of the stock power supply that came with the UpTone Regen that I had been using for the past week with the microRendu.

The improvement across the board is not subtle and is in fact quite substantial.  If you are planning on using the microRendu and the LIO DAC module, this is a killer upgrade for a relatively small investment.

For the past few hours I have been playing my test songs and on each and every one, things are "mo better!!"

When I can pull myself away from listening I'll write up my notes on some of the test songs.

George

mirekti

Re: microRendu power connector takes things up to 11
« Reply #1 on: 13 May 2016, 10:46 pm »
Sounds cool and I am not sure what all is needed the add a power output to the DAC module, but $400 seems a lot to me.  :(

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2016, 02:28 am »
Sounds cool and I am not sure what all is needed the add a power output to the DAC module, but $400 seems a lot to me.  :(
It's a whole kit.  USB Cable, power cable, panel mount connector, Belleson Regulator, labor and it's a business so he can actually feed his family so there's profit.   :thumb:   It's an amazing concept! 

Well worth it to me! 

mirekti

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2016, 07:12 pm »
It's a whole kit.  USB Cable, power cable, panel mount connector, Belleson Regulator, labor and it's a business so he can actually feed his family so there's profit.   :thumb:   It's an amazing concept! 

Yeah, as I wrote I wasn't sure what all comes with the upgraded module. Thanks for the clarification.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2016, 06:10 pm »

Hi George,

Thanks for posting your impressions!  8)

so that it could power the Sonore microRendu when using any of the digital inputs on the LIO.

This is a very important thing to note:

The microRendu power output option for the LIO DSD/PCM DAC is *only* active when you select the LIO DAC
as your input source.

The reason is because when you don't select the DAC, the LIO internally shuts off power to the DAC (e.g. if you are
using the analog inputs or the LIO phonostage, power to the LIO DAC is switched OFF).  And this is the same
power (from the ultracap banks) that feeds the Belleson super-regulator used for the microRendu output.  So PWR to the
microRendu is also switched OFF if you do not select the LIO DAC as your source (specifically, "D3" is the USB INPUT).

microRendu boots up very quickly (under a minute), but if you are looking to leave your microRendu turned ON 24/7, then
this is NOT the option for you.

Well worth it to me! 

Correct - you receive the following:

- Belleson super-regulator is mounted to the LIO DAC rear plate, and all wired up
- A power output jack (Switchcraft twist lock) for microRendu is installed on LIO DAC rear plate
- An approx. 1 foot long power jumper cable is included (for connecting to the microRendu PWR input)
- An approx. 6 inch USB jumper is included (for connecting from microRendu USB output to LIO DAC USB INPUT).

I hope this makes things more clear.  Please let me know if you have questions.

Thank you,

Vinnie

firedog

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2016, 06:43 am »
microRendu boots up very quickly (under a minute), but if you are looking to leave your microRendu turned ON 24/7, then
this is NOT the option for you.

Vinnie-

And if someone is "only" using the LIO as a Pre/DAC with the mRendu power option - is there any reason they should power down the LIO? I'd assume it sounds better if left on, like most DACs and electronics.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2016, 01:11 pm »
Vinnie-

And if someone is "only" using the LIO as a Pre/DAC with the mRendu power option - is there any reason they should power down the LIO? I'd assume it sounds better if left on, like most DACs and electronics.
If you have the AVC/Tubestage you might not want to have the tubes on all day while not being used.  I think it all depends on your use.  If you will turn it on every night then leaving it on all day could be OK depending on what tubes you have installed though. 

mirekti

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2016, 01:50 pm »
If you will turn it on every night then leaving it on all day could be OK depending on what tubes you have installed though.

Can you list some, please? I thought they would fade out even if there is no signal, but the power is on.
Related to the Tubestage jumper. Does device turn on promptly if the jumper is set to skip the Tubestage or it still has the 30 sec warm up feature activated?

What would you describe the sound with/without the Tubestage switched on?

lutry

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2016, 01:52 pm »
Hi Zybar,

What were you using before the microRendu?

I'm using the Auralic Aries + Uptone Regen and I'm curious if there is such a relevant difference from this set-up to the microRendu + Uptone.

Thanks
Lutry

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2016, 01:53 pm »
Can you list some, please? I thought they would fade out even if there is no signal, but the power is on.
Related to the Tubestage jumper. Does device turn on promptly if the jumper is set to skip the Tubestage or it still has the 30 sec warm up feature activated?

What would you describe the sound with/without the Tubestage switched on?
Yes, that's what I was attempting to say.  Leaving the tubes powered on will degrade them over time.  I haven't even tried the bypass yet so I'm of no help.  I've been busy - LISTENING!   :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2016, 03:06 pm »
Hi Zybar,

What were you using before the microRendu?

I'm using the Auralic Aries + Uptone Regen and I'm curious if there is such a relevant difference from this set-up to the microRendu + Uptone.

Thanks
Lutry

Before the microRendu, I was using a purpose built Windows 8 PC running Jriver or Roon.

So the chain was one of these two:

Win 8 PC -> UpTone Regen w/ stock PS -> LIO DAC
Win 8 PC -> UpTone Regen w/ stock PS -> Auralic Vega DAC

The UpTone Regen and Vega are plugged into a Pi Audio Uber Buss.

Give me a day or two to compare these two setups:

microRendu powered by LIO -> LIO DAC
microRendu powered by UpTone Regen PS or iFi PS -> Auralic Vega plugged into a Pi Audio Uber Buss

George

Vinnie R.

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2016, 04:14 pm »
Vinnie-

Hi firedog,

The main reason to power down the LIO after each use is to save energy, and if you are running tubes, you are clocking more hours
on the filaments.  Of course there are two schools of thought regarding what wears them out more (leaving them on all the time when not in use, or the cycling of power).  Who really knows?  LIO turns them on very gently, so I'm fine with cycling the power.

- I personally PWR down the LIO after each use and do not find that it takes long to warm up and sound its best.  It sounds great as
soon as it turns ON and is ready to go after the 30 second warm up sequence.  And I don't mind the "ritual" of turning it back ON
and queuing up the next LP or track on the computer.  That's just me...  :lol:

- I have read on the Sonore forum that the microRendu *could* sound different with warm up time, but in all honesty, it sounds the same
to me.  As soon as it boots up and starts playing music, it sounds fantastic.   

But the decision to leave on / turn off is up to the user.

Hi mirekti,

The AVC/Tubestage does not send a signal back to the LIO saying "tubestage is now bypassed" - so the delay is still 30 seconds.

If you only had an RVC volume control (with no tubestage module populated in the LIO), then there would not be the 30 second warm up mute delay.

Also - if the LIO MOSFET AMP was separately turned OFF on the front panel ("AMP" button set to OFF), and you turn it back ON, there
is an approx. 10 second mute delay.  This is to allow the amp to power up / stabilize before we un-mute it to avoid any pops.

I haven't even tried the bypass yet so I'm of no help.  I've been busy - LISTENING!   :lol:

Glad to hear this, jtwrace! :thumb:   That was the whole point of it.  Turn it ON, LISTEN, and ENJOY how good it makes your favorite music sound.

Discussing things like "leave it on / turn it off", delay time, etc. is such a drag compared to just listening and enjoying it.  At
least we don't have to talk about power cords, dedicated mains, and outlets here - Lol!  :green:

Give me a day or two to compare these two setups:

microRendu powered by LIO -> LIO DAC
microRendu powered by UpTone Regen PS or iFi PS -> Auralic Vega plugged into a Pi Audio Uber Buss

George

Looking forward to your comparisons, George!

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2016, 05:18 pm »
I can confirm what Vinnie is saying about warm up/power down etc. I power the LIO up at the start of listening time and off again at the end each day, and have never noticed a difference. Once the power supply is on and fully charged, switching from Phono to DAC and back, which turns power on/off to the modules separately, I couldn't really tell any difference vs time there either. It's all good  :thumb:

CSI

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2016, 06:03 pm »
I can confirm this as well. When I first got my LIO I turned it on when I got home and left it on until bedtime, but this was just an old habit. After reading Vinnie's advice on saving power I began turning it on just before using (I don't have the tube stage or DHT) and off when taking a break (like for dinner). There is no audible difference so I'm sticking with the greener routine. Might help save the planet over the next few millennia or at least a few pennies on the electric bill.

hubi

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2016, 08:02 pm »
I have the AVC/Tubstage, I always turn LIO off when I don't use it and then for my listening I turn it on. Same thing for my acitve speakers.The 30 s wait time is no problem for me, it's almost a welcome intro for my music session. But Sound Quality is improving clearly form starting till perhaps 30 minutes, but it's already very good just from start. I turn it off because of energy safing to not waste energy for nothing. I see, that wouldn' be suitable for everybody but we are here not on an averege audio level ... .

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2016, 01:25 pm »
Just to clarify for my simple brain--this device essentially is ensuring best transmission of digital data through a USB port to the DAC?  This article seems to explain it well--

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/698-sonore-microrendu-review-part-1/

Thanks in advance.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 27 May 2016, 01:29 pm »
Just to clarify for my simple brain--this device essentially is ensuring best transmission of digital data through a USB port to the DAC?  This article seems to explain it well--

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/698-sonore-microrendu-review-part-1/

Thanks in advance.
If you're asking, yes, it's a bridge.  It works very well. 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2016, 01:38 pm »
If you're asking, yes, it's a bridge.  It works very well.

Thank you.  I think that's what I'm asking.  Currently my path is:

mac--airport express--optical line--LIO

and it would change to:

mac--airport express--microrendu--USB--LIO.

The confusing thing is that in this particular situation I'm adding a component which seems counterintuitive to sound quality and simplicity.  However, I'm guessing that the improvement is that I'm using USB instead of toslink optical?

Thanks again
Matthew

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2016, 01:43 pm »
Thank you.  I think that's what I'm asking.  Currently my path is:

mac--airport express--optical line--LIO

and it would change to:

The confusing thing is that in this particular situation I'm adding a component which seems counterintuitive to sound quality and simplicity.  However, I'm guessing that the improvement is that I'm using USB instead of toslink optical?

Thanks again
Matthew
Are you using the DSD Dac in the LIO? 

Vinnie R.

« Reply #19 on: 27 May 2016, 05:57 pm »

Hi Matthew,

This is exactly how I am running it (and I also did so at AXPONA and will next week at Newport Beach show):

macbook / Roon software (wireless) -->> airport express (ethernet cable out) -->> microrendu (usb jumper cable out) -->> LIO USB input on dac.  [And microRendu is powered by a super-regulated output feed from LIO's ultracap banks]

The microRendu / Roon software is clearly better sounding than even using the USB out of the Macbook running Audirvana Plus.  I posted about this here in the VR forum, and on the microRendu forum on computeraudiophile.com.

This of microRendu as a dedicated piece of hardware that was designed only to create the cleanest USB stream to your dac.  You will not be limited to 96kHz resolution via the airport express's optical output.  Now you can play DSD, double DSD, and up to 32-bit / 384kHz that LIO's dac can handle via the USB input. 

So while it is adding one more small component (microRendu), it is a higher bandwidth feed to LIO's dac and a much cleaner digital signal.  And Roon playback software is top notch!

Expect a big improvement!

Vinnie