BHA-1: used with a USB DAC & Laptop versus analogue or digital in main system

acadie

HI

I have the BHA-1 headphone for my music playback at work, I am using a UBS DAC M2Tech HiFace DAC with a Laptop and the J River Media Centre to manage my music library. The headphone are the Mr Speaker Alpha Dog with the Nordost Heimdall 2 for the headphone cable or a set of Shure SE-846 in ear  headphone. I use a Nordost Heimdall 2 interconnect between the DAC and headphone amp. The sound is awesome.

I decided to bring the heaphone amp to be use in my main system.  The analogue playback is a Brinkmann Bardo , Tri-Planar arm and a Benz LPS cartridge. The phono stage is a Aesthetix Rhea Signature. The digital side is a Calyx Femto DAC and a Bryston BDP-1.  I connected the Bryston BHA-1 with some Cardas Clear balanced cable or with the RCA Nordost Heimdall 2.

Both  digital and analogue sound sound awesome when played on the main system ( Hegel H30 amp, Purity Audio Design Reference line stage and a pair of Joseph Audio Perspective). But it is a totally different result if I play the same music via the Bryston headphone amp.

Playing music via the BHA-1 with my sources of my main system sound less than average. If I would give a mark of 8.5 out of 10 for the BHA-1 sound at work with laptop but I would give it maybe a 5 or a 6  our of 10 using both source at home.  I would understand if one of analogue or the digital would sound just average but in my case, both sound sub par, especially compare to the quality I am getting with the laptop/usb dad. But if I play the same play back  at home in the main system with the Joseph Audio Perspective, I would rate it a 10 out of 10.

I connected both source to the  ‘’ In’’ rca or balance of the BHA-1.

Am I missing something here?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Hi

Just so I understand you replaced the Purity Audio Design Reference line stage with the BHA and are using it with the balanced outs as a preamp?

james

acadie_bazz

Hi James

I did not replaced the Purity Audio Design line stage. 

I am using the BHA-1 so I can listen to music with my headphone with my main system sources. Usually, the BHA-1 is used at the office with a laptop and a USB DAC.

I was surprise that the quality of music is not even close to the laptop/USB DAC I used at work. As I say in my original message, I would give a 8.5/10 for the Laptop/BHA-1 combo at work, 6/10 with the BHA-1 with my source in my main system and a 10/10 with my sources played on main system with the Joseph Audio speakers.

I think both sources (analogue and digital) in the main system are pretty good.

Maybe it has something to do with the J River Media Centre where you can adjust the sound.

With the sources from the main system, I feel the sound is a bit on the flat side. I also noticed the gain is quite high from both source. The Calyx Femto is 2v from the single end and 6v for the XLR. WIth the Rhea, I have to lower the gain of the phonostage so I can play a bit with the volume of the BHA-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
OK so the BHA-1 is being feed signals from the tape outputs on your Purity Audio Design preamp? And you are listening to your headphones through the BHA-1?

james

R. Daneel

The M2Tech will not be on the level of Calyx, that is a certainty. Your problems are in the computer software, not in hardware.

The way I think of it, you have some settings engaged to "enhance" the sound in JRiver that make the sound different from what you are used to hearing in your home. Suddenly it sounds lifeless and color-free.

I will offer a theory here, one that has proved itself over and over in my experience. Imagine, you're at home listening to your music and it sounds good. You take a break, disconnect everything, drive home, rest for a while, have lunch, walk your pooch and then in the evening you connect everything together and play some music. Now, your home system is a lot more serious than the one at work - it is neutral and detailed. Neutral equipment often doesn't sound impressive at first listen and suddenly your BHA-1 sounds lifeless. Your impression of the sound you heard at work might then seem like it was superior to what you were hearing now. This would not be the logical conclusion here however sincy Calyx is still better than the M2Tech.

So, the enhancements in JRiver and delicate and impressionable audio memory are your problems. The former is easy, the latter takes time and learning.

I think your BHA-1 is fine.

Cheers!
Antun

acadie

Hi James

I am not using the line out of the Purity line stage.  Both source are connected directly to the BHA-1. Sould I use the lineout of the Purity instead?

acadie

The M2Tech will not be on the level of Calyx, that is a certainty. Your problems are in the computer software, not in hardware.

The way I think of it, you have some settings engaged to "enhance" the sound in JRiver that make the sound different from what you are used to hearing in your home. Suddenly it sounds lifeless and color-free.

I will offer a theory here, one that has proved itself over and over in my experience. Imagine, you're at home listening to your music and it sounds good. You take a break, disconnect everything, drive home, rest for a while, have lunch, walk your pooch and then in the evening you connect everything together and play some music. Now, your home system is a lot more serious than the one at work - it is neutral and detailed. Neutral equipment often doesn't sound impressive at first listen and suddenly your BHA-1 sounds lifeless. Your impression of the sound you heard at work might then seem like it was superior to what you were hearing now. This would not be the logical conclusion here however sincy Calyx is still better than the M2Tech.

So, the enhancements in JRiver and delicate and impressionable audio memory are your problems. The former is easy, the latter takes time and learning.

I think your BHA-1 is fine.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

I know that audio memory is short, no doubt about that.

But I am doing a direct comparison at home with both system.

There are 2 items on J River that add to the music presentation; adding an imaginary sub and some studio effects.

I wish I had a usb cable and try the Calyx Femto with my Laptop.

By the way, I have a quite different lifestyle compare to your scenario... :wink:  I am quite more active than that.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi James

I am not using the line out of the Purity line stage.  Both source are connected directly to the BHA-1. Sould I use the lineout of the Purity instead?

Not the line out the Tape out.

james

acadie

Not the line out the Tape out.

james

Hi James

I am not using the linestage. I am using both sources plugged directly to the Bryston. Even using the Bryston set up at the lower gain, I don't have much play with the volume. As an example, my phonostage is usually set at 62db gain with my low output MC cartridge when I use in my main system. But with the Bryston, I have to set it up at 42db and it is a bit loud. Same goes for the digital playback.

Which is the proper way to set up the Bryston?

Again, when I use the Bryston with my Laptop & USB Dac, the sound is excellent. So, in my case, it is the voltage of the phonostage and the DAC that does not match well with the Bryston.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
Hi James

I am not using the linestage. I am using both sources plugged directly to the Bryston. Even using the Bryston set up at the lower gain, I don't have much play with the volume. As an example, my phonostage is usually set at 62db gain with my low output MC cartridge when I use in my main system. But with the Bryston, I have to set it up at 42db and it is a bit loud. Same goes for the digital playback.

Which is the proper way to set up the Bryston?

Again, when I use the Bryston with my Laptop & USB Dac, the sound is excellent. So, in my case, it is the voltage of the phonostage and the DAC that does not match well with the Bryston.

Hi

Yes I am a bit at a loss but your explanation seems like the only answer?

james