Dissimilar Subwoofer Question

FireGuy

Dissimilar Subwoofer Question
« on: 7 Nov 2014, 01:31 pm »
It's time for me to add a 2nd sub for my 2C.  Today the system consists of a pair of Omega Super 3U's  and one Boston ASW250 sub.   I've searched this forum to see if this question as been addressed and have found nothing satisfactory.  My question:  What, if any,  are the negative ramifications of adding a dissimilar sub?  The audiophile in my wants to try something different.  So, in addition to the ASW250 I'm considering either the HSU STF-1 or Outlaw M8.  The space is small to medium so I don't really need anything massive.  Given I have the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus in my HT space I'm leaning more toward that model...Outlaw puts out some good stuff.  So...am I giving up some sonic purity by having two different subs?  Or, with basically the same specifications (output, Hz rating etc.) should my results be predictive?

jparkhur

Re: Dissimilar Subwoofer Question
« Reply #1 on: 7 Nov 2014, 01:56 pm »
If you wanted to do two, and both different, I would put one in the front middle, and one in the back middle.  If you did them on both sides, would be difficult to get all the freq and gain correct.

JP

pslate

« Reply #2 on: 7 Nov 2014, 02:26 pm »
Keep your one sub, add these  :thumb: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129161.0

I would do it in a heart beat if I were in the market.  :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 7 Nov 2014, 04:27 pm »
Hmmm......my guess is that the subs will still blend together regardless. Where things could get weird is if one sub is faster or tighter than the other. Another issue might arise from their response curves. They could work well together if they balance out peaks and dips between each other........BUT my guess is what may be more likely to happen is that any peaks and/or dips could be exacerbated further where one sub reinforces the other's peaks. Much of this has to do with your room too.

It's just easier to work with 2 of the same subs as they match each other in all the above, but 2 dissimilar subs can work together. It'll just take more work to get them dialed in.
« Last Edit: 7 Nov 2014, 06:38 pm by RDavidson »

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2014, 04:49 pm »
How do you plan to connect them? I use a pair of ACI Force subs two-channel setup, one dedicated to each channel rather than sending both channels to each. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but if that's the case, I think you would definitely want identical subs to handle the discrete left and right channels.

If both subs are getting the same signal(s), then you can probably use different subs though setting them up could be more difficult (or perhaps easier if they cover different ranges of bass?).

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 7 Nov 2014, 05:19 pm »
How do you plan to connect them? I use a pair of ACI Force subs two-channel setup, one dedicated to each channel rather than sending both channels to each. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious, but if that's the case, I think you would definitely want identical subs to handle the discrete left and right channels.

If both subs are getting the same signal(s), then you can probably use different subs though setting them up could be more difficult (or perhaps easier if they cover different ranges of bass?).

Both subs will receive the same signal.  I plan on putting one front left corner, the other front right corner.  The room config won't allow me to set up diagonally.  Should I be concerned about freq cancellations with diff subs?

Mercury3

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2014, 05:59 am »
Another thing to consider is if each sub is in phase with one another.  As an example for instance JBL vs Altec wired their driver out of phase.  I'm not sure but think it was JBL wired their drivers all backwards. (Positive voltage on black terminal gave forward cone motion)  Someone may know more.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2014, 01:32 pm »
Dissimilar subs should even out response irregularities to some extent, more positives than negatives in other words.  A swarm of 4 dissimilar subs is best.

FireGuy

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2014, 04:09 pm »
Dissimilar subs should even out response irregularities to some extent, more positives than negatives in other words.  A swarm of 4 dissimilar subs is best.

More positives than negatives...absolutely correct.  I was busy this weekend repositioning both the Canton and Boston to optimize...including phase, volume etc.  Very pleased with the results.  Having two subs is such an improvement I've asked myself what the heck took me so long.  The bass on occasion seems to float in space and image specificity has improved with the Omegas as well.