deepOMEGA 12 Subwoofer is now in production and on the website.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
The deepOMEGA 12 is a "subwoofer" with some unique features.  Rather than a heavy driver with a massive and heavy surround and huge excursion (that can have flabby, slow, one note bass) Louis has gone the speed, slam, and tuneful articulation route, using a feather weight, short throw, small surround high speed driver.  Rather than plumbing the depths (it still goes down to 28 Hz), it goes for dynamics.  It uses the same driver as the yet to be officially introduced Speed Twelve Paramount subwoofer.   

Check it out on the website: http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/deepomega12.html

« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2014, 04:00 am by Canada Rob »

mamba315

Looks good  :thumb:

Any plans for a double 12 sub?  How many db down is that 28hz?

beowulf

That's a beauty ... I have a question about placment that I always pondered ... Can a sub be placed directly behind a speaker?  Lets say I have my floorstanding speakers about 20" from the back wall, could I place a sub like this behind the left or right speaker or would that introduce other problems?

Thanks!

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Looks good  :thumb:

Any plans for a double 12 sub?  How many db down is that 28hz?
Hi mamba315,

No plans currently for a double 12.  Not sure exactly what the db down is at 28 Hz.  I think it would be better than an 8 or 10 with the same specs merely due to the size of the driver and it's ability to move more air.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
That's a beauty ... I have a question about placment that I always pondered ... Can a sub be placed directly behind a speaker?  Lets say I have my floorstanding speakers about 20" from the back wall, could I place a sub like this behind the left or right speaker or would that introduce other problems?

Thanks!
Hi beowulf,

It's generally best to have the sub on the same plane as the speakers.  I would say a down firing sub would be more forgiving than a front firing sub due to the more diffused nature of the sound waves with the down firing sub.  Any single sub should be as close to midway between the speakers as possible, unless 2 are being run, then it's nice to have them as close to each speaker as possible.

guillaume bougard

Holy mackerel, this thing is a beauty

Do I wish I had more space in my living room. The only place I could put it has a radiator which itself is under the window. So I KNOW that people would move the thing to open and shut the window and that placement would be messed up...

I also keep reading that subs are hard to finetune. How easy is this one and is it done once and for all or does have have to adjust settings frequently?

Last, how would Louis and Rob compare this model to the 8 sub? (if this is a stupid question, just tell me to shut up!)

dB Cooper

Dumb question: It provides a hi pass for the main speakers so if you want to keep deep bass out of, say, one of the smaller drivered speaks (for obvious reasons), you can do that?

I ask because I like the concept of single driver speakers but have yet to hear an execution of the concept that didn't have (for me) deal-breaking flaws. Would like to hear some Omegas some time.

guillaume bougard

dB = your avatar is WRONG! Music IS VERY addictive
have a nice sunday indulging and listening to music!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
beo,   
If the x-o is set in the lower half of it's adjustment (<100hz), then placement should not be a problem.

dB,     
High pass filters built into a sub amp can be a bit of a mixed bag, sometimes they work okay with the mains, but don't count on an improvement in overall sound. I understand the idea and benefits of relieving the main driver of the low bass, but with the sensitivity of the Omegas you would have to be listening pretty loud IMO&E.  Having said that, if a person is determined to have an x-o on the main driver, then a specific built line level high pass would be the best option if using a preamp.

Lin

Good Times

Does this have an adjustable phase dial? If so then placement possibilities are unlimited and should be dictated only by the room and listening position. Generally speaking, close proximity to a wall can be beneficial to augment output, as the wall will act as quasi-horn loading.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Looks good!  :thumb:

beowulf

beo,   
If the x-o is set in the lower half of it's adjustment (<100hz), then placement should not be a problem.

Lin

@ Lin ~ Thanks was what I was looking for.

@ Canada Rob ~ it seems that with proper settings and the down firing driver it would be easier to integrate.

Thanks All.

ZLS

A Question for Canada Rob,

I purchased a pair of the DeepOmega 12 Woofers,

and the closest I can get to describing the sound (other than terrific)

is to say that they are the 12 inch version of the Omega RS5 Driver. 

Is that an accurate, or even helpful description?

Thank You

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
    A Question for Canada Rob,

I purchased a pair of the DeepOmega 12 Woofers,

and the closest I can get to describing the sound (other than terrific)

is to say that they are the 12 inch version of the Omega RS5 Driver. 

Is that an accurate, or even helpful description?

Thank You

Thats the idea of the deepOmega 12.  Speed.  Light cone, narrow surround, and short throw.  It has to be fast to keep up with the RS5 driver - not all subs can. 

As an aside: Even though the deepOmega 8 driver looks totally different, it shares the same attributes as the deepOmega 12, but just on a smaller scale.

ZLS

The deepOmega12 with Bipole Rs5"s

This is a review of the 12" Omega Driver coupled with the 4 1/2" Omega Driver.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have Omega Speakers with the 4 1/2 " driver,

just imagine the 4 1/2" driver as a 12" driver and that is exactly what you get. 

No loss in transparency, just a couple of lower octaves added with no loss of musicality. 

The Drivers merge seamlessly, giving the music more force and weight. 

The impression that I cannot shake, is that the music has better pace, rhythm, and timing. 

In other words, it is as if the deepOmega12 has made the RS5 more responsive. 

The analytical part of my brain says this is not possible;

The emotional part of my brain says whether it is possible or not has nothing to do with your increased

enjoyment of the music. 

I'll go with my increased enjoyment of the music. 

For those of you interested;

My system consists of a Scott Nixon tubed DAC (16/44.1); a passive Preamp (Warpspeed Octocoupler);

A Brown Electronic Labs Solid State Amplifier; pluged into a PI Uberbuss; connected by Zen Labs cables;

Along with Triode Labs Power Cables. 

The music I listen to is eclectic, Jazz, Latin, Classical, Zydeco, R&B.

In all cases the deepOmega 12 just adds to the joy of listening. 

Those of you who have the Omega Drivers coupled with Omega Woofers, are aware of how great they sound.

Those of you who only have the Omega Driver Speakers, just imagine your enjoyment doubled. 

Yeah, they are that good.   

FireGuy

The deepOmega12 with Bipole Rs5"s

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have Omega Speakers with the 4 1/2 " driver,

just imagine the 4 1/2" driver as a 12" driver and that is exactly what you get. 

No loss in transparency, just a couple of lower octaves added with no loss of musicality. 

The Drivers merge seamlessly, giving the music more force and weight. 

The impression that I cannot shake, is that the music has better pace, rhythm, and timing. 

In other words, it is as if the deepOmega12 has made the RS5 more responsive. 

The analytical part of my brain says this is not possible;

The emotional part of my brain says whether it is possible or not has nothing to do with your increased

enjoyment of the music. 

I'll go with my increased enjoyment of the music. 

For those of you interested;

I very much like your take on the integration of the DeepOmgea12 with the RS5.  Not too much analytics with mega doses of X's & O's...more of the sonic perception, deployment and enjoyment.   These speakers have no right to sound as good as they do at their price points.  Articulate and stunning is the RS5.  Now hearing the Deep12 is of the same class.   Lucky to own?  You bet.  With no need to take a 2nd mortgage.

milford3

Just wondering, how would the Deep 12 sound coupled with the Hoyt Bedford Type 1's :?:  Care free to opine Canada Rob.
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2014, 04:48 pm by milford3 »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Just wondering, how would the Deep 12 sound coupled with the Hoyt Bedford Type 1's :?:  Care free to opine Canada Rob.

The deepOmega 12 would enhance the Alnico XRS', so it will definitely enhance any Omega or Hoyt, with the exception of OutLaws with built in subs.

mamba315

If the Paramount version will have the same driver, what are the differences?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
If the Paramount version will have the same driver, what are the differences?
Yes, same driver, but everything else is very different:

1) Totally different (and larger) cabinet.
2) Front firing with grill.
3) Can be run ported or sealed.
4) Different plate amp.

There is no release date set for the Speed Twelve yet.