Maagnepan 1.7 with NCore NC400

this_is_vv

Maagnepan 1.7 with NCore NC400
« on: 12 May 2014, 05:51 pm »
Anyone have reviewed these speakers...i am planning to get them and run them with NC400....any inputs any reviews..

V

WGH

Re: Maagnepan 1.7 with NCore NC400
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2014, 06:19 pm »
After listening to the Ncore in 2 different systems we all agreed it would be a waste of time to try them out on the Magnapan 3.6, it wouldn't be a good match at all. The Magnapans would be too revealing of the Ncore's flaws.

Wayne

mamba315

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2014, 06:33 pm »
The Magnapans would be too revealing of the Ncore's flaws.

Not the other way around?

edn4x4

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2014, 07:23 pm »

I would disagree.
I had this combination for a while.

I have a 12'x'14'x8' room and the ncores sounded good.  Really good with the MMGs. I brought them over the big dogs house and his room is quite a bit larger. He has Magnepan QR 1.6 driven by a Pass X250 amp and compared to my ncores, the mids were sucked out and the loss of dynamics was quite apparent in his room. We had already been discussing moving me into a more capable amp (for the 1.7s) and hearing them directly compared to a bigger amp, i was convinced.
I now have an AVA 400r and am quite happy. :thumb:
Right now in combination of the 400r and the fet valve CF pre, I enjoy my system now more than ever before.
You will be very happy with your 1.7s.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2014, 07:45 pm »

Nope. I'm not alone in thinking the Ncore has some edginess (reply #239 & 240).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118081.msg1328117#msg1328117

cab

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2014, 08:21 pm »
went to a shoot out with magnepan 1.7's served up with several amps: bryston, pass, bel canto, and an ncore400. There were 6 people in attendance. The ncore was the overwhelming choice. Your mileage may vary but there is very little to fault with the ncore. It reveals all.

this_is_vv

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2014, 09:12 pm »
I am excited to know this combination is good...i am thinking to use it with a tube Pre...EAR 834l or trying to buy EAR 868 unable to finish the deal yet...but hope this combination is good for this..

V

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2014, 09:19 pm »
went to a shoot out with magnepan 1.7's served up with several amps: bryston, pass, bel canto, and an ncore400. There were 6 people in attendance. The ncore was the overwhelming choice. Your mileage may vary but there is very little to fault with the ncore. It reveals all.

This  shows that every one hears things differently.  Edn4x4 brought his amps to my house and they clearly lacked the dynamics in my 17x17x10 room.  My Pass X250 was way more musical and had deeper, punchier bass.  The Ncores sounded flat.  Of course the preamp and source will make a difference.  I can't remember if we were using my Pass X-1 preamp or my Van Alstine Ultra Plus.  But Edn4x4 also brought over his AVA T-9 preamp to compare and it was still the same results.  Currently I run a BAT VK-51se tube preamp with my Pass X250 and an AVA hybrid tube/ss DAC with my 1.6's. 

I would like to know what Pass amp you compared to the Ncore.  If it was the X150, then that was a poor choice as it was an entry level Pass amp and used different circuitry compared to the X250 and higher models.  It was basically made to be a HT amp according to Pass Labs and sonically not in the same league as the higher models.

The Ncore 400's will sound good with the 1.7's but there are better amps and I would not even consider them for the 3.7's.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2014, 09:21 pm »
I am excited to know this combination is good...i am thinking to use it with a tube Pre...EAR 834l or trying to buy EAR 868 unable to finish the deal yet...but hope this combination is good for this..

V

Definitely go for tubed preamp.  Tubes and Maggies are a great combo.   I can't wait to hear Edn4x4's  new set up with the AVA CF preamp and 400R hybrid tube amp paired with the 1.7's.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2014, 09:23 pm »
Nope. I'm not alone in thinking the Ncore has some edginess (reply #239 & 240).

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=118081.msg1328117#msg1328117

Actually, the link you post above mentions how it is in the matching where one must be careful with Ncore.  I totally agree with this, but it is NOT because the Ncore themselves are inherently "edgy" as you seem to assert.  The Ncore are about as neutral as an amplifier can be, and they will reveal flaws elsewhere in the system like nothing else.  I am also finding that they are very sensitive to any RF contamination elsewhere in the chain: one has to be careful to make sure their DAC does not have any high frequency hash on its output, and the build (if one is considering NC-400s) of the Ncore amps should try and address RF issues as well.
I am beginning to think that the best way to utilize the NC-400 modules would be to transformer couple the input, with a really good line transformer, and very short input wiring from the output of the transformer to the module input.
I go back and forth from my NC-400s to my Pass X-150.5, and there are advantages to both amps, but I am pretty sure a few more tweaks to my NC-400 build and I will find them superior in all areas: and I do not tolerate edgy, bright, or analytical sound at all.
I would expect the NC-400 to do very well with the 1.7, given the right room and system.  But if your source is bright at all the Ncore will not pretty that up in any way.  And, if your source has IC opamps, you will easily hear how they can compromise the music as well.  Additionally, the 1.7s might need a little more oomph (current) if the room is large at all...

edit: do not know who you are talking to, but the Pass X-150.5 and X-250.5 have identical circuitry, in fact they use the exact same input modules!  The only difference is the size of the transformer and the number of output devices in order to achieve higher power.  Maybe you are referring to the non .5 versions?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2014, 09:27 pm »
Yes, I am referring to the non 0.5 series.   The 150.5 is completely different from the older 150 series and it is more on par with the X250.5 and larger amps.  I have the older X-250.  And I am just repeating what the guys at Pass Labs told me over the phone when I called them with questions about the 150 and 250 amps.  They swayed me away from the 150.

The 1.7's will benefit from more current and power.

fsimms

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2014, 09:38 pm »
My opinion of the NCore NC400s is that they are very revealing of the rest of the system.  If the system has flaws then you will hear their flaws more clearly than you ever had before.  It won’t mask or compensate for them.  If you have a great system then you will hear how great the system is.  It can sound very striking compared to a previous amp in a great system.  i.e. synergy

Bob

cab

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2014, 10:07 pm »

Of course the preamp and source will make a difference. 

Exactly.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2014, 10:31 pm »
My opinion of the NCore NC400s is that they are very revealing of the rest of the system.  If the system has flaws then you will hear their flaws more clearly than you ever had before.  It won’t mask or compensate for them.  If you have a great system then you will hear how great the system is.  It can sound very striking compared to a previous amp in a great system.  i.e. synergy

Bob

All good gear should do this!  The Ncore's that were brought over to my house were not any more revealing than my Parasound A21 amp and certainly not on par with my Pass amp.  They did sound very good at my friends house with his 1.7's in a near field environment though.

edn4x4

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2014, 12:16 am »
All good gear should do this!  The Ncore's that were brought over to my house were not any more revealing than my Parasound A21 amp and certainly not on par with my Pass amp.  They did sound very good at my friends house with his 1.7's in a near field environment though.
I mentioned my room size above, but forgot to mention that I was setup near field.  I did enjoy the ncore more once I had he T-9 tubed pre in the system.  I was going Dac direct before W4S DAC2 SE upgraded balanced to the Ncores) and felt that the 1.7s would benefit with tubes or so I had heard....  I did feel going with tubes made the 1.7s more musical and when I added the 400r - became more so.  When Larry brought his  Van Alstine Ultra Plus over to my place we noticed how much larger the sound stage became compared to the t-9 and I brought my t-9 back to Frank and had it upgraded to the fet valve CF.  When I placed it back in my system, it was exactly what I hoped - much larger sound stage.  So for me in my room I have had several upstream changes that are easily heard from the 1.7s.  But at Larry's place the Ncores didn't fill the room nor were they very engaging.
Hope this helps as I really think the ncores are something special and I am not sure what I want to do with them at this point.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2014, 12:26 am »
Eric, your system sounded great before.  I can't wait to hear the new gear.  That CF preamp and the 400R were made for each other.  They have great synergy. 

I will email you to try and get together again.

Larry

this_is_vv

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2014, 06:46 am »
so wanted to know...is it possible to join 3 ncore and get 1200W on 4 ohm...i have pair of 3 ncore each pics here..

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120365.0

can they be joined to give 1200W output power....or two either...

thought i ask..as some one suggested more the power to maggie more they sings...

V

Davey

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2014, 01:17 pm »
No, I'm afraid not.  :)
Even if you could bridge three together, the Ncore power capability de-rates considerably when going below a 4 ohm load.  Just bridging two for a 2 ohm effective load de-rates them to 580 watts each.

More power "making the Maggies sing" is just rhetorical nonsense.  :)

You've got a nice amp setup there.  You don't have to use the unused modules.  Why not just use them and enjoy them?

Cheers,

Dave.

edn4x4

« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2014, 02:27 pm »

You've got a nice amp setup there.  You don't have to use the unused modules.  Why not just use them and enjoy them?

I agree with this 100% - nice build - enjoy them.  The unused modules could be used for a center channel /tricenter channel if you ever go that direction.  Check the Magnepan site for more information.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2014, 04:36 am »
so wanted to know...is it possible to join 3 ncore and get 1200W on 4 ohm...i have pair of 3 ncore each pics here..

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120365.0

can they be joined to give 1200W output power....or two either...

thought i ask..as some one suggested more the power to maggie more they sings...

V

Two NC400 bridged + SMPS1200 yield:
400/800/1200W @ 8/4/2 Ohm, 1 Ohm stable (1/3rd duty cycle)