New Lampizator Atlantic DAC

drumiha

Re: New Lampizator Atlantic DAC
« Reply #20 on: 31 Jul 2016, 11:08 am »
Drumiha:
The Atlantic switches automatically between PCM and DD.  I much prefer that to the manual switching I had with my Big 7.
Nice, that's an important improvement IMO too.   

The way I know Lukasz, maybe he's planning on adding tube-rolling option is the future for the Atlantic DAC and that's the reason he left the tubes sticking out on top.
Maybe a dealer can tell us if that is the case ?
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2016, 12:13 pm by drumiha »

Gopher

« Reply #21 on: 31 Jul 2016, 12:59 pm »
Lukasz is taking this early criticism of protruding tubes to heart and is looking into recessing the tubes so they will still be accessible but only stick out a tiny amount. 

No guarantees he will be able to rearrange everything for this, but as always he'll try to give the people what they want.

As for microphonics.   A bunch of these Atlantic DACs have been shipped already including 2 to professional reviewers and no one has reported any issues.

mav52

« Reply #22 on: 31 Jul 2016, 01:20 pm »
Lukasz is taking this early criticism of protruding tubes to heart and is looking into recessing the tubes so they will still be accessible but only stick out a tiny amount. 

No guarantees he will be able to rearrange everything for this, but as always he'll try to give the people what they want.

If he can pull it off he is going to sell a lot more of his higher end product.

drumiha

« Reply #23 on: 31 Jul 2016, 06:13 pm »
I have no problem with the tubes sticking out, but my tomcat does since he won't be able to sleep on top of the Lampizator during the cold seasons  :lol:
Joking aside, will tube-rolling be an option for Atlantic DAC in the near future ?

As for microphonics.   A bunch of these Atlantic DACs have been shipped already including 2 to professional reviewers and no one has reported any issues.

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 31 Jul 2016, 08:58 pm »
No.  Tube rolling isn't something we want to bring to the Atlantic at this time.  A part of its allure is it voiced the way Lukasz desires from day one and there is no need to research or hunt for tubes in the pursuit of upgrading.   

It is the type of tube dac that will not intimidate those who would typically go for solid state and will reward them greatly for stepping outside of their comfort zone.

firedog

« Reply #25 on: 1 Aug 2016, 06:01 am »
I am one of those lucky ones.  I have had four Lampizators in my system: Amber, Level 4, Big 7, and now Atlantic.  All four have the Lampizator signature sound - crystal clear, organic, musically-involving.  My Big 7 with the volume control served as my DAC/line preamp for a good 1.5 years.  It was a versatile component that could take on different personalities with different rectifier and signal tubes.  My favorite were the TunbgSol 5AS4a rectifier and Sylvania 2A3 signal tubes.  But as I had input switching, USB/SPDIF, PCM/DSD, AND polarity switching all in the same unit, the remote switching was a little complicated and caused confusion to my family members.  So I sold it and immediately missed the Lampi sound.  When I read about Lukasz' new Atlantic DAC and his enthusiam about it I had to try it.  Lukasz, besides being a brilliant designer, has one of the best ears in the business. A good engineer cannot make good-sounding equipment unless he has good ear.  I know and trust Lukasz' ear.  So I took a chance on the Atlantic sight unseen.
Having had the Atlantic in my system for two weeks now I can happily report that it is a winner.  Since it doesn't have a volume control option or extra line in, I am using it with the Luminous Audio Axiom III passive preamp, a great component in its own right which also is much simnpler to operate.
As compared to the Big 7, I would say that the Atlantic/Axiom combo retains all the positive characters of the Big 7 but also has a crystalline quality not found in the former.  The difference is similar to the OTL sound as compared to good tube equipment.  I have had good tube designs in my system - Cary, Counterpoint, C-J.  But when I first heard OTL equipment, notably Transcendent Sound and Atma-Sphere, I knew I much preferred the OTL sound.  But I couldn't deal with the amount of heat generated by OTL equipment, especially in the summer.  In addition, all the fussiness of tubes biasing and noise are negatives.
Now I have the OTL sound without the fuss.  The combination of the Atlantic DAC, Axiom passive preamp, Wells Audio Innamorata solid state amplifier (another great piece), all plugged into the new Wells Audio Looking Glass power conditioner and wired with DanaCables, is in a word, magical!  It has the harmonically-rich sound of tubes, crystalline quality of OTL, tight bass performance of solid state, and the musically-involving, pinpointed soundstage imaging that resembles the real performance.  I go to live and mostly acoustical performances at least once a month (just came back from the Montreal Jazz festival) and this comes close to the real thing.
Vinh Vu
Gingko Audio and DanaCable

So basically you are saying that you don't think you've lost anything meaningful in overall SQ - just a somewhat different flavor of the Lampi house sound? That's quite a statement considering the base price of the Atlantic is about 60% of the Big7.

wisnon

« Reply #26 on: 2 Aug 2016, 07:26 am »
I just wish they Lampizator could find a way to make the higher end dacs with the tubes NOT sticking out of the top. I would have owed a Big7 by now, just no room in my rack. Love their products

Luaksz will make a full range with the Atlantic Dac and the tubes will be 80% recessed so that will fit into racks.

doak

« Reply #27 on: 2 Aug 2016, 09:44 pm »
Luaksz will make a full range with the Atlantic Dac and the tubes will be 80% recessed so that will fit into racks.
Good move IMO.
Anything that makes the Lampi easier/more accessible w/o degrading sonics must be a good thing.  :thumb:

sfox7076

« Reply #28 on: 9 Aug 2016, 03:49 pm »
Good implementation of this tube will solve the issues of microphonics. All directly heated tubes are microphonic to some degree.  The cathode is a wire that is burning unlike an indirectly heated tube.     

wisnon

« Reply #29 on: 26 Aug 2016, 12:35 pm »

doak

« Reply #30 on: 26 Aug 2016, 01:28 pm »
Manual here:

http://lampizator.eu/Manuals/Atlantic/Atlantic.pdf

Thanks.

Here's a quote from this manual under the heading of "Remote Control":
"You will see on the display - an alphanumeric text describing the input - for example 7 = S/
PDIF and 8 = USB. You can change the descriptors freely under the SERVICE MENU -
the Dig. Input Name section"

I see no "display" either on the DAC or the remote.
What am I missing?

wisnon

« Reply #31 on: 29 Aug 2016, 08:20 am »
I think that only refers to the versions with preamp function and hence a remote is included???

doak

« Reply #32 on: 30 Aug 2016, 04:01 pm »
I think that only refers to the versions with preamp function and hence a remote is included???
Makes sense.
Was not aware that the Atlantic model was offered with such options.

wisnon

« Reply #33 on: 31 Aug 2016, 10:07 am »
Apparently, the Atlantic will be a full parallel range to the L7 DHTs. The L4 will go and the Amber2 and Euforia will stay. At least that is my current understanding...

wisnon

« Reply #34 on: 31 Aug 2016, 10:08 am »
Apparently, the Atlantic will be a full parallel range to the L7 DHTs. Balanced, chipless DSD option, preamp function, etc.

The L4 will go and the Amber2 and Euforia will stay. At least that is my current understanding...

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #35 on: 31 Aug 2016, 11:17 am »
Well thats cool Norman. I noticed in that manual you posted the Atlantic has a PLUS version with tube rectifier. One thing for sure, Lukasz does not rest on his laurels.

wisnon

« Reply #36 on: 31 Aug 2016, 04:51 pm »
Fully agree Tomy.

I saw some private feedback and this Dac will be a gamechanger at this pricepoint. Wow.

wisnon

firedog

« Reply #38 on: 4 Sep 2016, 06:08 am »
1st review here:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/09/03/review-lampizator-atlantic-dac/

Wow, impressive review. I bet he just sold some Atlantic DACs for Lampi. Scot has good taste and good ears, so his impression means something to me. Too bad Lukasz and company can't update the web site ot reflect all the upgrades and options mentioned in the review.

I wonder how the new DSD engine in this DAC sounds compared to his other DSD engine, and what's different about this one?
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2016, 11:48 am by firedog »

wisnon

« Reply #39 on: 5 Sep 2016, 10:11 am »
Wow, impressive review. I bet he just sold some Atlantic DACs for Lampi. Scot has good taste and good ears, so his impression means something to me. Too bad Lukasz and company can't update the web site ot reflect all the upgrades and options mentioned in the review.

I wonder how the new DSD engine in this DAC sounds compared to his other DSD engine, and what's different about this one?

ALRainbow has both DSD engines and says they are almost equal. Perhaps the Chipless has a slight edge...but he was not sure

Mike at AudioShark will be chipping in with his review soon, so that will be one to look forward to, especially as Mike has L7 and GG experience.

I guess Lukasz will update the website soon, as it was he who gave the info to Scot.