Comparison of Rachmaninoff's Prelude #5 in G min

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Comparison of Rachmaninoff's Prelude #5 in G min
« on: 28 Jul 2014, 07:27 pm »
5 different takes on Rachmaninoff's best known prelude.  If you are a fan of the romantic piano this is 17 minutes well spent.  Take a listen at tell us what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYpnUbaa0Ok

MickeyBoy

Re: Comparison of Rachmaninoff's Prelude #5 in G min
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2014, 01:55 pm »
Moiseiwitsch.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2014, 04:35 pm »
Richter followed by Barere.  Gilels would be better but he always has that clangy tone in his performances.  Horowitz was the worst.

THROWBACK

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2014, 05:35 pm »
As for #5, I like Van Cliburn's best.

Now try Paul Anthony Romero Rach 23/4 on YouTube. Yes, he's an amateur, but possibly the best in the world. His performance begins with a passage from the Rach Symph Dances, but goes right into the prelude from there. He did 23/4 and 23/5 every bit as well as Van C's for us a week ago at the annual Celebration of the Amateur Pianist in Colo Spgs, CO. Have a box of Kleenex ready.

Enjoy.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2014, 06:43 pm »
of those 5, I liked Sviatoslav Richter the best.  I thought he had better balance between his left and right hand.  The other players left hand play didn't match their right hand.

I thought Moiseiwitsch had internal tempo issues (within the beat).

I agree that Horowitz was the poorest.

HsvHeelFan

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2014, 08:36 pm »
The Moiseiwitsch intrigues me.  Plays with a romantic disregard to tempo that both attracts and bothers me at the same time.  I really liked his rhapsody section. I could happily live with this as my only copy. Horowitz does his usual beyond human ability thing to make every note clear in a performance that left me cold, but there was no doubt that it was a typical Horowitz show piece.  For me Barere's interpretation was just bizarre.  Why would you take that piece at such a breakneck tempo? And that's not all, he couldn't keep it clean at that speed (but I liked the way he and Horowitz took the last two ending measures like a wisp of wind).  At least Horowitz let you hear the notes, but I wanted more time with most passages.  Gilels has wonderful moments, then there are stretches where he seems disengaged... and I agree with Tyson's clanging at times. 

So for me, it's Richter. Technique, interpretation, power, and finesse. I've been a fan of this performance since the early 60's
BTW, did anyone else notice that Horowitz seems to playing a slightly different version?  Several phrases were different.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2014, 09:07 pm »
The other variable would be "What was the circumstances when it was recorded?"

If it's the primary Composition for the concert/recording, it could be different than an encore piece.

I've heard lots of pianists do just fine during the concert and then just  throw something out there for the audience as an encore.

Encore performances, in my experience, vary widely.

For the record, I studied a competed in piano competition for 10 years when I was a kid.  I just don't play much piano these days.

HsvHeelFan