Nightcrawler

stlrman

Nightcrawler
« on: 13 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm »
The wife and I rented this last night. We both really enjoyed it!! It's exciting and thought prevoking , and very well acted.  Jake is a fine actor in my book.  I'm pretty sure it was the directors first film, and he did a great job.
4.25 out of 5
95% on Rotton Tomatoes

gregcss

Re: Nightcrawler
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2015, 11:18 pm »
Great to hear because this bluray was delivered yesterday from Netflix. Gonna watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2015, 05:53 am »
I loved the film!  The ending was a bit too pat considering the rest of the film but it was still superb.  Not every great performance gets an Oscar nomination but in this case I think Jake Gyllenhaal was snubbed; he was fantastic in this film.  Really a great film and kind overlooked for whatever reason.  Well worth a look.

stlrman

« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2015, 09:36 pm »
How did you like it Greg?

mcgsxr

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2015, 10:44 pm »
Interesting how so many liked it.

I made it about 60 minutes and shut it off.  It did nothing for me.

Glad though, that there are folks that did like it.  No movie is for everyone, but most have an audience out there.

lowtech

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:50 pm »
I liked this movie.  It reminded me of "Drive", which I also liked.

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:02 am »
Drive was very cool!!

jazzcourier

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2015, 12:08 am »
It was nominated for best screenplay.It all begins on the page.What a great film and performance,liked it even more the second time.I think people were a bit taken aback by this film,it is just too dark for some.There is lots going on here on several different levels and I recommend viewing it twice to catch it all.Of course you only have to watch it once to find out you don't like it.It just might be the "Taxi Driver" of the new century?

gregcss

« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2015, 01:46 am »
How did you like it Greg?

I liked it...3/5 Netflix stars.

shahed

« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2015, 04:44 am »
This is the best movie I saw this year so far. Can't remember when was the last time I saw such a good movie from a first time director. I hope he keeps making great movies. I like the ending - very 'unhollywood'. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2015, 08:52 am »
My only minor criticism is that the ending was too "pat", too neatly tied up.  The movie is so dark and violent, so much bad stuff happens- the way things are neatly laid up in the end are a little to simple for a film like this. But that's picking nit, very fine movie. :thumb:

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2015, 01:29 pm »
There was something holding this movie back from being great. It was good but not great... The acting was good, the story and premise were good but I felt like the filming style was holding me at arms length away, not allowing me to get emotionally attached to the characters or situations... I had a conversation with my buddy after we viewed it and we came to the conclusion that it had a somewhat "classic" cinematography approach --cutting from still shot of character bust to still shot, 'representational' framing, etc... We thought the filming style was a little on the bland side and didn't quite match the intensity of the story, causing all three of us viewing to not quite connect like we felt a viewer could of.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2015, 02:15 pm »
Having worked in the mental health field, I think JG hit the bullseye in his portrayal of a
classic remorseless sociopath.  The ability to turn on the charm when need be and be
ruthless a moment later was spot on.
Hibuck...

HollowJane

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2015, 09:21 am »
I actually stopped watching it after like 20 minutes. I couldn't stand that he was just driving around :(

pmarun

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm »
Weird but gripping movie. Weird because of it being a theme I am not used to I guess. My wife left after 20 minutes, but it got better as it went. Recommended it to a couple of friends.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jul 2016, 06:50 pm »
Saw this on Netflix over the weekend - I really enjoyed how we are meant to feel disgust at how aggressive he is at going after all those blood and guts shots.  But the fact is that we are implicated, too.  After all, when we go to a movie with violence in it, we are also in some ways 'getting off' on the violence portrayed.  I like how the movie made us complicit with how icky that side of things really is.

The other thing I loved is that all his business speak and approach is pretty much spot on from the corporate world.  And that's what I find in the corporations I've worked for: normal people can be somewhat successful, but it's the sociopaths that tend to rocket to the top....

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 25 Jul 2016, 06:54 pm »
Saw this on Netflix over the weekend - I really enjoyed how we are meant to feel disgust at how aggressive he is at going after all those blood and guts shots.  But the fact is that we are implicated, too.  After all, when we go to a movie with violence in it, we are also in some ways 'getting off' on the violence portrayed.  I like how the movie made us complicit with how icky that side of things really is.

The other thing I loved is that all his business speak and approach is pretty much spot on from the corporate world.  And that's what I find in the corporations I've worked for: normal people can be somewhat successful, but it's the sociopaths that tend to rocket to the top....

Yep!

I know someone who covers news in LA (helicopter) and he said although the movie took an extreme path, it was pretty accurate otherwise.

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jul 2016, 08:19 pm »
He's a psychopath, to the fullest. I don't get the feeling he wanted publicity for the sake of anything but business.

I thought it was a superb performance, and the movie was real good. It's just not the type of movie I can utterly fall in love with, even though I thought it was great. I recommend watching it.