Sapphire XL and Paradgim Sub

actuarysam

Sapphire XL and Paradgim Sub
« on: 4 Dec 2006, 06:23 pm »
I am receiveing the Sapphires shortly. I have a 10" Paradigm sub. I have a small room and ample amplifier power. What hookup do you recommend for the sub? Do you recommend use of the highpass filters with the Sapphire XLs, or letting the full signoal to run against them? Thanks SG

Mike Dzurko

Re: Sapphire XL and Paradgim Sub
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2006, 08:49 pm »
I am receiveing the Sapphires shortly. I have a 10" Paradigm sub. I have a small room and ample amplifier power. What hookup do you recommend for the sub? Do you recommend use of the highpass filters with the Sapphire XLs, or letting the full signoal to run against them? Thanks SG

Do you have separate pre and power amp or an integrated with pre out and main in? If so, definitely try using the 85Hz passive high-pass filters. If not, you'll want to bring your subwoofer in "under" the Sapphire XLs . . .  you'll likely be crossoing at 45 or lower in that case. 

SG

« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2006, 08:57 pm »
I have separate preams and amps. Actually, I ordered the 65 hz filter from you with the speakers I'm getting, since reviews indicated good tight bass from the sapphires down to that level. Do you think the 85hz filters will work better?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2006, 09:11 pm »
I have separate preams and amps. Actually, I ordered the 65 hz filter from you with the speakers I'm getting, since reviews indicated good tight bass from the sapphires down to that level. Do you think the 85hz filters will work better?

SG:

The difference in filters is pretty minimal. With a single sub, you might in fact be better off with the 65Hz filters. You'll also want to experiment with leaving the ports open vs. inserting the port plugs. Sub- monitor integration is very much a part of the listening room and placement equation and experimentation is the best way to determine what works best in your room with your system. Here are links to some reads that might help you with integrating a sub:
http://www.audioc.com/library1/subsetup.htm

http://www.audioc.com/pdf1/forcexl.pdf

sg

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2006, 12:52 am »
I am setting up my sapphires with my paradigm subwoofer by running pre-out line into the sub in parallel to the mains, which have the highpass filers. My question is: my sub has only 1 line input. Is it ok to run just one of the pre-out channels (e.g. the left channel) to the sub to get bass, under the theory that deep bass is recorded on both channels, or is it better to use a y-adapter and feed both channels into the sub? Thanks!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2006, 07:32 pm »
I am setting up my sapphires with my paradigm subwoofer by running pre-out line into the sub in parallel to the mains, which have the highpass filers. My question is: my sub has only 1 line input. Is it ok to run just one of the pre-out channels (e.g. the left channel) to the sub to get bass, under the theory that deep bass is recorded on both channels, or is it better to use a y-adapter and feed both channels into the sub? Thanks!

Must use the Y-adapter to get both channels of bass. Even though much bass content is mono, not all is, and you don't want to have only one channel of content.

sg

« Reply #6 on: 12 Dec 2006, 03:42 am »
I got the y-connector for my sub, and to my surprise I found that I got cross-channel leakage in my main speakers - I now have only mono sound - same sound in both channels, and all out-of-phase info is gone! I assume I need to go back to only one channel feeding the sub? SG

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #7 on: 12 Dec 2006, 12:59 pm »
SG:

Something isn't right . . .  if you're using separates you should be using this hookup scheme:

http://www.audioc.com/library1/images/hookup/hookupe1.jpg

SG

« Reply #8 on: 12 Dec 2006, 02:06 pm »
This is exactly what I'm using - for each channel - but then I have a
y-connector at my sub to feed both channels into the sub since it has only 1 hi-level input. When I connect both into the y-connector, it ends up feeding a mono signal not just to the sub, but to my main amp as well. SG :cry:

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #9 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:28 pm »
This is exactly what I'm using - for each channel - but then I have a
y-connector at my sub to feed both channels into the sub since it has only 1 hi-level input. When I connect both into the y-connector, it ends up feeding a mono signal not just to the sub, but to my main amp as well. SG :cry:

Something tain't right here. IF you have two sets of cables (two left and two right) coming out of your pre-amp, one set (left and right) should go directly to your power amp, and one set (left and right) should be going directly to the Y adapter and then your sub . . .  there's no reason the sub should be affecting what is going into your main amp . . .

SG

« Reply #10 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:49 pm »
I have 2 sets of cables coming out of my preamp for each channel, but they are coming out via a y-connector at each channel (as in your diagram). The y at the sub is in effect bridging the signal that ends up going to the amp also. Sorry to be so frustrating.  :scratch:
The sub sounds pretty good with only 1 channel feeding it so I'm ok with that.

sg

« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2006, 04:59 pm »
I guess another option is to buy another sub - one for each channel - but I don't think my small room needs that. But I can be pursuaded otherwise :wink: SG

SG

« Reply #12 on: 13 Dec 2006, 02:12 pm »
In addition to the 2-channel issue, I am rapidly coming to the realization that a subwoofer with only one hi-level input simply does not suit my needs adequately - I use my system for both 2 channel cd and sometimes lp's, as well as SACD, which are sometimes 2 or 3 channel, and sometimes 5.1, as well as HT/DVDs. It seems to me that choosing only one hi-level input can't work well for both 2 channel and 5 channel sources simultaneously, especially when there is no bass management on pass-thru SACD at the preamp.

My question is, if both the line and HT inputs are used in the Force sub, how is the operative input selected? SG

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2006, 06:11 pm »
In addition to the 2-channel issue, I am rapidly coming to the realization that a subwoofer with only one hi-level input simply does not suit my needs adequately - I use my system for both 2 channel cd and sometimes lp's, as well as SACD, which are sometimes 2 or 3 channel, and sometimes 5.1, as well as HT/DVDs. It seems to me that choosing only one hi-level input can't work well for both 2 channel and 5 channel sources simultaneously, especially when there is no bass management on pass-thru SACD at the preamp.

My question is, if both the line and HT inputs are used in the Force sub, how is the operative input selected? SG

Just doesn't make sense to me to make a powered sub with only one line input, what does that save? A couple of $$?

Anyway, if you have the left and right inputs hooked up to your two-channel rig, and the HT input hooked up to the sub out on your rec or processor, the sub will simply play whatever signal it is feed. If you were to turn on both systems you'd have distortion, but no damage.

SG

« Reply #14 on: 13 Dec 2006, 07:04 pm »
Thanks. I'm still confused - my processor will send out either 2 channel stereo, or 5.1 for dvd. I understand that for 2-channel, nothing is going to the HT input so that's ok. But the front channels in the 5.1 are the same as the main channels for stereo. So every time I played a dvd it would send a signal to both the  (HT) input and also from the front channels to the L/R inputs. How would I prevent the front channel signals from going to the sub in this setup for DVDs? SG