HE12.1 Sealed V's Ported

mitch

HE12.1 Sealed V's Ported
« on: 31 Dec 2002, 09:10 am »
Hi Dan,

I'm new to this Forum so forgive me if I stuff this up. :)

Does the vented floorstanding version of the HE12.1 give up anything to the sealed standmount as far as tightness of bass etc is concerned.

Also can Kevin do a sig. series x-over for these?

My personal preference is for the floorstander, purely for asthetics. I drew up some plans and designed the grill ala spendor s8/9's. The inverted teardrop grill looks neat and makes it look slimmer than it is.

I would like to add a subwoofer in the future, but it's a long term thing.

Front end is Audio Note cdt1 transport, AN DAC 1.1x, and AN M2 phono pre. I've decided on the Billie monoblocks for power when finances allow.

Music is Jazz and Classical type stuff.

It's great being able to interact with you guy's (and girls) who further this artform.

Thanks,

Mitch.

KevinW

Bass is tight
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2002, 06:15 pm »
I have the floorstanding, ported HE12's.  The bass is plenty tight, and goes quite low.  In fact, the bass is the best aspect of the HE12's.  I am very happy with the bass output from my 3.2w ASL Tulip amp.  I listen to a lot of reggae and soul, and that combo is suprisingly adequate, although the Rava kicks in nicely on that type of music.  On Jazz, the Rava is entirely superfluous, as the HE12's sound great.  I haven't heard the sealed version, but Dan Wiggins told me that the sealed rolls off around 60hz, with the ported going down to 40hz.  If you don't mind the size of the floorstander, I would go for it.

Dan also sent me a prototype serial XO, which I haven't finished building yet, but hope to do soon! :)

Kevin Whilden
Solar Hifi
www.solarhifi.com

mitch

HE12.1 Sealed V's Ported
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2003, 02:35 am »
Kevin W,

Thanks for the reply, I've got the room so I may as well build the floorstander.

BTW you said,

Dan also sent me a prototype serial XO, which I haven't finished building yet, but hope to do soon!  

What's a "serial" x-over?

Thank's again.

Any one else have a opinion of these?

DanWiggins

• Acoustic Development Inc.
HE12.1 Sealed V's Ported
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2003, 07:07 pm »
As Kevin mentioned, the floorstander is quite good; the sealed box is a bit tighter, but not nearly as extended (only gets down to the mid 60s).  If you're not sure about running a subwoofer with the speaker, do the floorstander.

As far as the series crossover, it's a request Kevin made, so I designed one for him to play with and report back...:)

Contact Kevin in another week - not only will he probably have good feedback by then, he's also our newest dealer (located in the Portland, OR area) and can help you all the way from questions to product delivery.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio