Front Wall Advice

ajzepp

Front Wall Advice
« on: 10 Apr 2019, 01:47 am »
Hey all...

So here's my situation: I'm converting a 12x16 room into a theater room. On the front wall I'm planning to have three monitors near the floor, mounted on low stands, and angled upward toward the listener. I'm trying to decide what to put beneath the screen on the wall behind the speakers. I'm thinking diffusion since the seating will be far enough away from the front wall (approx 9-10') for this to be effective, but I'm not opposed to absorption either.

Which approach would you guys feel is best?

Thanks
AJ

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Front Wall Advice
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2019, 01:54 am »
AJ,

A few questions.

1) What speakers for the LCR, surrounds and sub(s)?

2) What is the height of the room?

3) Any tiered seating or is everybody seated at the same level?

4) Is the room exclusively for home theater or will 2ch be played often?

Thanks,
Anand.

ajzepp

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2019, 01:59 am »
AJ,

A few questions.

1) What speakers for the LCR, surrounds and sub(s)?

2) What is the height of the room?

3) Any tiered seating or is everybody seated at the same level?

4) Is the room exclusively for home theater or will 2ch be played often?

Thanks,
Anand.

Hi Anand:

1) Not settled on the speakers, but I just ordered some Power Sound Audio MT-110s (18"x11"x14"). Supposedly very efficient and dynamic. Im going to play around them them for 30 days while Im finishing painting and organizing the room.

2) Its a peaked ceiling where the peak maxes out at approx 16', so not a big room in terms of sf, but has some air to fill.

3) Planning on just one row of seating as of now

4) Exclusively HT

Thanks for the help :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2019, 11:33 am »
Before jumping into solving the problem lets define it first.

Are you planning on facing the 12ft or the 16ft wall?  (IME that's a small room for HT, unless it's meant for a single listener.  Can't balance side/rear speakers for more than one listener at those distance restraints.)

What is the average ceiling height?  Is it a gabled ceiling (center ridge), shed ceiling (edge peak), or hip ceiling (center high point)?

Describe window/door/opening sizes/locations.  A floor plan would be very helpful.

How many speakers/subs are planned?

Have you measured the room yet (to know what if any problem exist)?  Why are you concentrating on the front wall?  Recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition to learn about speaker/room acoustic interactions.

Diffusion is only effective down to roughly 1100 Hz (for 7 inch deep diffusers).  Most commercial diffusors are more decorative than acoustically effective.  To be effective the material must be acoustically reflective (like painted wood), use a mathematically varied depth of individual elements, and ideally be oriented vertically and horizontally.  A good design can be found here:

http://www.pmerecords.com/Diffusor.cfm

Absorption can be effective much lower, but again most are minimally effective (wrong material, shape).  GIK offers effective, affordable panels.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2019, 12:56 pm »
Ajzepp,

Sent you a pm.

Best,
Anand.

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2019, 01:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, guys...it's taken care of

Carl V

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2019, 04:58 pm »
Many here will be curious to see what you came up with & what your thoughts are?

Good luck & have fun

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2019, 09:19 pm »
Many here will be curious to see what you came up with & what your thoughts are?

Good luck & have fun

I've been a GIK customer for over a decade, and they say go with absorption for this particular area. Thus it shall be done.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2019, 10:45 pm »
I've been a GIK customer for over a decade, and they say go with absorption for this particular area. Thus it shall be done.

Exactly. Wholeheartedly agreed.

Best,
Anand.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 11 Apr 2019, 12:55 am »
Exactly. Wholeheartedly agreed.

Best,
Anand.

Thank you, good sir  :thumb: