MW amp selling prices

harley52

MW amp selling prices
« on: 7 Aug 2013, 12:00 am »
 I've noticed the last 3-4 wks. that most are being sold for $2600-3200.  I saw a 'wanted' ad and I sent an e-mail to the person and was told $3800 was WAY too much for a KWA 150 in 9/10 condition. I just don't see a reason to be selling a $6k amp for about half of retail. It's not as if they're made in Red China. The looks of them are gorgeous in my opinion and they're practically bombproof. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.Thanks

Rocket

Re: MW amp selling prices
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2013, 03:54 am »
Hi,

Selling audiophile gear is really tough.  Just check out the for sale section here on AC I see so many good products which are for sale.  A couple of years ago I tried to sell a Son of Ampzilla in mint condition which retailed for about $5500au.  I listed it on ebay for $1500au and I didn't even get an offer.  Its still sitting in my attic because I won't sell it so cheaply.

Good luck

Rod

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2013, 04:06 am »
Sometimes it just goes in cycles.  Lots of factors, the economy, area, number of things on the market like it, how desperate buyers or sellers are, etc.  The problem to some extent is that there is also now an SE version.  Not that the 150 can't be upgraded to the SE version (what's it $2k?).  So in essence per many people, you're asking $5.8k for an $8.5k amp that they will have to ship off for an upgrade and incur additional costs and inconvenience.  So $6k might be seen as high to some.  It's not uncommon when there is a new model or a discontinued model that the value is perceived as less.

firedog

« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2013, 05:02 am »
I just don't see a reason to be selling a $6k amp for about half of retail.

Rod

Well I guess you will have a hard time selling. I pretty much won't buy anything used for more than 50% - 60% of retail, and the upper end of that is only for something in especially good condition etc. I think if you check what used audio equipment sells for on the net that such prices are typical. If you want to sell, it is your buyers' perceived value that matters, not yours. Of course you don't have to sell at a price you feel is low. But if you want to sell, I'd lower expectations.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2013, 12:29 pm »
I don't beleive they sell the non SE versions either now (could be wrong) and at the asking price by the time someone gets the upgrades and pays for shipping they can just wait until an audio show and buy a new demo for about the same money.  I concur with the last post.  Most things used (there are exceptions) of quality go for about half of original retail give or take and if it is not a current model it is usually a hair less.