Ready for a hi-end Blu-Ray player, any suggestions?

JohnR

Re: Ready for a hi-end Blu-Ray player, any suggestions?
« Reply #40 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:15 pm »
I just wonder if it would be any cheaper. With the disc player, they have a much bigger market (I surmise).

Phil A

« Reply #41 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:19 pm »
Slightly off topic,,,  I'd love to see Oppo make something like the Bdp-105 WITHOUT the disc player,,  just a renderer with dac in one box.

They do make a DAC/Headphone amp  - https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-1/

It would be nice if one could just attach a hard drive and play.

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 3 Jul 2015, 03:24 pm »
I have a question for all of you:

If I'm using an external DAC (Yamaha CX-A5000), should I even be looking at the Oppo since both models have a built in DAC? Does anyone make a transport only Blu-Ray, DVD, CD, 3-D transport unit? It seems like I would be spending a lot of money on a DAC I would not be using. Or, is the transport section the costly part, the DAC not very expensive and Oppo offers a superior transport?

Thanks,

Eric M.

Not anything cost effective that I'm aware of - e.g. - http://www.msbtech.com/products/universal.php?Page=dac4home

Many moons ago, I owned an expensive DVD (only transport).  Since then, when it comes to video or digital technology, I tend to have a limit on what I'm willing to spend as it goes obsolete faster than something like an amp or a preamp (and that's why I have two systems where I have an integrated system with a preamp with HT Bypass - much easier to get a new receiver every 5 years or so).

Eric M.

« Reply #43 on: 4 Jul 2015, 02:13 am »
Recommended Unit Price $89950 (no typo, that's eighty nine thousand)

Wow, I really didn't think you could spend that much on a DAC.

Not anything cost effective that I'm aware of - e.g. - http://www.msbtech.com/products/universal.php?Page=dac4home

Many moons ago, I owned an expensive DVD (only transport).  Since then, when it comes to video or digital technology, I tend to have a limit on what I'm willing to spend as it goes obsolete faster than something like an amp or a preamp (and that's why I have two systems where I have an integrated system with a preamp with HT Bypass - much easier to get a new receiver every 5 years or so).

ACHiPo

« Reply #44 on: 4 Jul 2015, 02:32 am »
Are you teasing me??!   :o
Well, maybe a little. PS3 is a transport that can read all the media you want to read.  BYODAC and you'd be all set.  I have no idea how the PS3 is as a transport, but some folks seem to like it for ripping SACDs.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #45 on: 9 Jul 2015, 11:29 pm »
I think it's only older version of PS3's that can do that. I think they're called "fatties" (as the new units are called "slims") in reference to the girth of the unit.
I could be wrong on that though.

Phil A

« Reply #46 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:09 am »
Recommended Unit Price $89950 (no typo, that's eighty nine thousand)

Wow, I really didn't think you could spend that much on a DAC.

Some ultra high end stuff is very expensive.

I have a couple of Fat PS3s.  One is the jail broken one that can burn SACDs.  The other is of the same vintage but does not play SACDs (and is currently sitting in a closet - at one point in the old place I used it as a blu-ray source in the basement system.  Also did for a drop in the new place in the bonus guest room (also have the harmony remote adapter for it) but to keep it simple just put an old Sony Blu-Ray player in there and when I upgrade an Oppo next year, one of the Oppos will be moved there so I can take away the Marantz DV9600 DVD universal to play CD, SACDs and DVD-As (the Marantz is the best CD transport I have in my house but I no longer have room for multiple transports in systems and the two systems where I have DACs, I use file playback and the transport gets used once a year at Space Coast Audio Society meetings).

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #47 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:34 am »
I think it is the fat 32 that is being refenced......

Eric M.

« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2015, 02:56 pm »
So, I ended up getting the Oppo 103D. I got a chance to play around with it last night and go through the 90 page instruction book. I like it but I'm not too impressed with the Darbee feature. I'll need to play around with it more but right now I feel like I purchased $100 worth of snake oil. It looks like an elaborate contrast / sharpness control. Anyone else with Darbee have any input?

Thanks,

Eric M.

jpm

« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2015, 03:19 pm »
I got Darbee on my 105D because they no longer offer that model without it. It's doubtful that I'd have paid the extra if I'd had a choice, however the results turn out to be pretty impressive via projector.

Having said that, the upcharge for Darbee is a much bigger % of the price for a 103 versus a 105.

Eric M.

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2015, 03:46 pm »
I'm going to need to play around with it a bit more. I tried with my Plasma and projector. Maybe it was the Blu-Ray I was viewing. Glad to hear positive feedback about Darbee.

Eric M.

ajzepp

« Reply #51 on: 22 Jul 2015, 04:26 am »
I'm late to the party but I'll throw out more love for Oppo. I have the BDP-95 that is four years old and it puts out a stunning picture. I have been streaming most of my movies lately, but the other day I tossed in a bluray of the most recent Hobbit film....holy WOW...and the audio! I immediately signed back up for Netflix blurays again instead of just the streaming. This player is fantastic.