Bryston BDP-Pi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-Pi
« Reply #220 on: 28 Dec 2017, 08:29 pm »
I have no sound coming out with the USB cable?  Out of the 4 USB hubs in the back I can plug that cable into any of those correct?  I’m lost

Have you clicked on (engaged) USB in the Audio Devices page in Manic Moose?

james

schmidtmike76

« Reply #221 on: 29 Dec 2017, 12:41 am »
Sorry for the late reply, Chris took care of me and really helped me out.  In the new year he’s going to reformat my hard drive and that should help.  But for now he put a code in remotely that helped.  Thank you bryston and specifically Chris!

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #222 on: 30 Dec 2017, 06:55 pm »
Have the BDP3 and love it, just ordered the BDP-Pi and should be coming in the next few days.

Refresh my memory with the issue with the screen when it auto-turns off?  I think I read that somewhere in a review.

Thanks in advance!

schmidtmike76

« Reply #223 on: 31 Dec 2017, 01:02 am »
When you use USB as a Audio output it shuts off and remains black to eliminate noise. 

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #224 on: 31 Dec 2017, 06:29 am »
But I guess you could still have a control screen through Roon on an iphone or android.  I'm not sure a noise gremlin between a USB device and a screen would be a big deal, but I guess that's why they're the experts. :)

schmidtmike76

« Reply #225 on: 31 Dec 2017, 02:40 pm »
Everything on my iPad is the same no worries it’s just the Pi that’s black.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #226 on: 4 Jan 2018, 12:00 am »
But I guess you could still have a control screen through Roon on an iphone or android.  I'm not sure a noise gremlin between a USB device and a screen would be a big deal, but I guess that's why they're the experts. :)

It's only the display located on the very front of the unit that's meant more for feedback then actually chosing music, which can still be accomplished if the player is stopped or paused.  It's due to interference caused by using the data bus used to update the display and it's noticeable to even an untrained ear.

Calypte

« Reply #227 on: 13 Jan 2018, 09:00 am »
I have a new BDP-pi.  It's taken me a week to get network issues resolved and to get actual sound to come out of it and into my audio system.  As of now, I think I'm all set for playing music from USB devices (thumb drives and hard-disk drives) and for commanding the thing from a laptop or cell phone (Android).

BUT -- I have a very basic question, which will strike most of you as the height of ignorance.  If I were to subscribe to a streaming service like (to be specific) Spotify, how would I get the music to the BDP-pi?  Is it possible?

schmidtmike76

« Reply #228 on: 13 Jan 2018, 10:06 pm »
I don't think it's possible only tidal through the pi under applications.  I love tidal and the sound quality is really good. 

Calypte

« Reply #229 on: 14 Jan 2018, 09:57 pm »
Thanks.  My interest is classical music.  Within that group of enthusiasts, Spotify has found particular favor for its selection.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #230 on: 15 Jan 2018, 02:53 pm »
if you have a mac or ios (iPhone/iPad) device you could try using shairport-sync playback method, it should allow lossless (44khz) playback from any program on the device.

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #231 on: 17 Jan 2018, 08:54 pm »
I'm trying to get to the BDP-pi through my network.  This is Windows 8.1.  I want to see if I can access the hard disk (WD Passport) that's attached to the BDP-pi.  For reasons I can't explain, the network has decided that the BDP-pi is part of the domain OBSERVATORY.  In fact I have an astronomical observatory, and I think the observatory's PC is called OBSERVATORY.  The problem is, the network wants me to login to the BDP-pi using credentials for OBSERVATORY.  I have no idea what it wants.  Nothing I've tried works, and that includes the login that I use for the observatory computer.  I know this is really more of a Windows question than a BDP-pi question, but is there some way to decouple the BDP-pi from the bogus domain OBSERVATORY?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #232 on: 17 Jan 2018, 09:55 pm »
try entering the following as the username

bryston-bdp-pi\bryston

chris

Calypte

« Reply #233 on: 18 Jan 2018, 03:26 am »
It doesn't let me fill in the username.  It's pre-filled with OBSERVATORY\user.

Calypte

« Reply #234 on: 18 Jan 2018, 05:07 pm »
UPDATE: I was able to access the BDP-pi as a network device with a Windows 10 computer with no problem.  The computer that wouldn't let me in has Win 8.1 (still unresolved).  But I didn't find what I was hoping to find.  I thought maybe I could rip files directly to the WD Passport drive while it's plugged into the BDP-pi, instead of moving the WD Passport over to the ripping PC, which is how I've been doing it.  No joy.  Getting into the BDP-pi through the network doesn't give me access to anything useful.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #235 on: 18 Jan 2018, 10:32 pm »
If you connect the drive after the BDP has been turned on you need to either reboot the BDP or stop and then start the SAMBA service in the services settings page.  The BDP should create a network share for the USB drive.

Chris

Calypte

« Reply #236 on: 19 Jan 2018, 02:05 am »
Yes!  Rebooting causes the My Passport drive to show up!  Thank you!

Calypte

« Reply #237 on: 19 Jan 2018, 08:53 pm »
I don't see album covers displayed in either Manic Moose or on the front panel.  Most of my listening is classical, and most of my material is ripped CDs.  I don't expect to see cover art for those.  But even pop items don't show.  Is there something I need to do to enable the display of album covers?

Calypte

« Reply #238 on: 21 Jan 2018, 06:53 pm »
UPDATE: Cover art has to be in a file called cover.jpg.  Once renamed, it shows in Manic Moose.  But it still doesn't show on the BDP-pi panel display.  Downloadable cover art is apparently unavailable for most albums.  Purchased downloads usually have it, but discs ripped with Foobar2000 don't retrieve it from musicbrainz.

Calypte

« Reply #239 on: 23 Jan 2018, 11:58 pm »
According to the Bryston website and the Digital Audio Brochure, the BDP-pi can access "TIDAL, Internet Radio, Custom URLs."  It's the "Custom URLs" that interest me.  How do I implement this?  I want to stream audio from Youtube.