just a thought!

lazydays

just a thought!
« on: 11 Jul 2013, 05:24 pm »
I going to do another small system for my bedroom. Nothing fancy, but I hope it's a lot better than the last one (was OK).

Here's the old system:
* two eight watt tube mono blocks
* CJ PV10AL
* NAK tape deck
* CAL transport with an MSB DAC (all upgraded)
* anyone of a half dozen tuners (mostly Onkyo)
* a pair of real Dennis Had built 2a3 speakers (I like them)
* Skyline stands
pretty much all Synergistics cables with one exception

Here's what I'm thinking:

* I want an amp (or amps) in the 30 to 40 watt range. But would like one that ran in class A 30% of the time
* preamp is an issue, but still doable. Must have a tape loop, and will probably just be a better CJ as I like their sound.
* yes there will be a tuner, and the search is on for a 9090 II from Onkyo
* I'll probably just use a mint AVA pho stage I have gathering dust. It has a somewhat compressed sound, but so do the speakers. Or a George Wright
* yes there will be a turntable. It's setting down stairs by the dinning room table right now
* digital wise there will be a transport and a DAC with an external hard drive
* there will be a reel to reel and a cassette deck in the system (may ditch the cassette)
* I'll probably keep the same speakers

I'm kind of worried about using a Khartago amp (or amps) as they may have way too much power for those very efficient speaker (they really ran well on eight watts). A 30 watt version would be super! I seriously do like those speakers! The turntable will be a much modded Technics SL1200 MK.II (I have a grand total of $19.99 in it) or I might later install that Opera I have down stairs right now. (I want my Final Tool back in my system really bad!) The reel to reel tape deck is a priority! I want to hear my boot legs again! Of course I could simply buy a Tempest preamp, and then worry about the amp situation!
gary