Big7 tube shootout!

sfox7076

Re: Big7 tube shootout!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Nov 2014, 02:32 pm »
The pins on my sockets are tight enough to work.  I also buit adapters using old UX tubes and UV tube sockets.  It really isn't hard.  I don't use the adapter because I hear no sound difference.

bonzo75

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2014, 04:55 pm »
Ok.  I forgot I changed my USB cable last night.  Swapped back to the loaner I got (and will buy).  I am back to the dynamics I was looking for that I thought sounded different.  I think it is pretty close to the same sound with possibly more bass.  The 3d nature of the music could stop traffic.

Hi, what USB is this?

sfox7076

« Reply #22 on: 26 Nov 2014, 04:37 am »
DanaCables.  Pretty much changed all I thought I knew about USB cables.  It replaces a WyWires Silver USB cable which sounds terrible compared to the Dana.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2014, 07:55 pm by sfox7076 »

shahed

« Reply #24 on: 24 Dec 2014, 06:40 am »
I have tried following tubes in my 2a3 two box level 7 dac: Electro Harmonix, Ken Rad, EML mesh plate and very recently Sophia Electric 300B carbon plate 2.5v version.

Both Ken Rad and Sophia Electric 2.5v 300B is significantly better than EH and clearly better than EML meshies to my ears in my system. Ken Rad is tiny bit more warm than Sophia Electric and has slight less details. While Sophia Electric 300B has more inner resolution and almost as warm as Ken Rad. Treble extension is slightly better on the Sophias compare to Ken rads.

So far, my favorite is Sophia Electric 300B carbon plate.  Btw, I just received the Sophias yesterday, it has less than 3/4 hours on it. So I believe with some burn in, it should sound even better.

But I've a question. The two box level 7 dac has its tube socket pretty close together and the Sophias are quite fat. As a result when I put the Sophia 300B in the dac, they are very tightly placed and touching each other like the picture below. I want to know if the two tubes are touching each other, is it bad for tube life or compromising sonics in any way?

wisnon

« Reply #25 on: 25 Dec 2014, 10:16 am »
Can you lean them apart just a bit so they dont touch? I cant see that touching can be a positive.

Also, what are the other tubes you refer to, for example the Kenrad and EH? Surely they are not all 300b 2.5v tubes, as I see you refer to EML 45s.

silverlight

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jan 2015, 01:53 pm »
For anyone using / planning on using WE101D's globes with the small UV4 pins, a new adapter is being manufactured in Asia and listed on eBay now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191476590105?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D191476590105%26_rdc%3D1

sfox7076

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jan 2015, 02:23 pm »
Great find Silverlight.  You can do the same thing with an old UV4 tube socket and a UX tube base, but the cost will be about the same as this and you have to wire it up yourself.  Will also work for the ST shape 101ds.  I am going to order a pair so I don't have to futz with my sockets anymore.

jriggy

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jan 2015, 02:24 pm »
Hey Shahed,

Glad to see your system moving forward.

If there is nothing else you can do, maybe you could talk to Steve at Herbie's Audio Labs and see if he can tell you something. He should be able to let you know if you can use one of his small disks of teflon or something else to rest between them. Or custom make a disk made of the material that touches the tubes from his tube dampeners... Seems like with them touching, it would create unwanted vibration through the entire surface of the glass. You should be able to wedge just the right piece of material between them...and Steve will know.

Best of luck.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #29 on: 10 Jan 2015, 11:08 pm »
I have about all the tubes and many others being posted about.
From top to bottom.
The 101D is the most detailed of the bunch and the pavane metal base and the we101D are out the same
I have some brass sockets made for adapters. But you can get them to work without.
Given. I am a detail analytical guy I first fell in love with them. But grew tired and the intense details
For me the Sophia electric is a nice tube and they seem to span a wide ways in sound from various types of sound. The carbons are a bit rolled off on top so it a trade below in air and staging but the they do look cool.
The other se 300 B are better for me. There is a new 2.5 volt I dk not have as yet. But a trusted ear seats the edge the 6a3.
Next is the 2A3 I have a few pairs none of witch were a favorite
The eml makes some really good tubes. My fav is the anniversary globes as they give the details but more meaty then the eml 45 bottle tops.
Next is the 6A3. This is the tube to get. But not the cunnunghams. As they are nice they are just too laid back for me. Now the 6A3 is a numerous tube to enjoy. They're is many versions and each has a variation of perfection. Again my views
You can get the sylvanias or Tung sols. Both are good
Weather green letters or white but strong testing yields better sound
Even the 6b4G and socket adapters is fine and cheap too.
I also have Elrogs 300B the current fav for now.
Now for us one tube recto people this to is cool to roll. But it must be new or like new. No 80 year old fav for me. Eml or Sophia electric is both very good
And aloud it mesh they all have effect. The big 7 is marvel of a dac and it can be transformed to so many styles of presentation. It has to about the most Versatel dac out there.
One to bother with are out there. The small 6A3 new stinks it's a short tube and needs a socket adaptor it's just not good for men
Also the sventka tubes also
There is varitinns of a vt52 not good either
It's all a gamble in rolling but the lampi is not.
And being able to change the mood by tube rolling is a level of bliss I never new existed until this dac.
Luke keep playing and keep making us happy.
I have many more tubes not posted about as well it's a fun ride and keeps one excited and interested.

Al

sfox7076

« Reply #30 on: 11 Jan 2015, 03:46 am »
Thanks for the write up.  I have a lot of the 6a3s.  They are not my favorite of the types.  That said, do you use the ones with circular springs at the top or flat tops?   The Cunningham/RCA/Sylvania should all sound the same as they are from the same factory as I understand.

shahed

« Reply #31 on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:19 am »
Thanks Jason for the tip! I've been using this adapter from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221607723006. That did the trick. However, Sophia Electric 300B carbon was picking up vibration/rattling noises. So I've returned it. My Lampizator dac is being updated to support 45 tubes this week. So, I'll try some 45 tubes soon.

shahed

« Reply #32 on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:22 am »
Which tubes in Lampi level 7 will give the most warm, musical sound with punch bass? So for the ones I tried, Sophia Electric 300B carbons were the best but Ken Rad 2A3 was very close and probably a tiny bit more musical and warm. I didn't like EML 2a3 mesh.

silverlight

« Reply #33 on: 11 Jan 2015, 04:42 am »
Alrainbow - great feedback on the various tubes.  I've tried a few different 6A3's, they're excellent, but did prefer Kenrad 2A3's (per Shahed, I did find them warm and musical as well).  I think the main point which Alrainbow made well is that the Lampi7 if fantastic for allowing great tubes to shine with their respective strengths, and then the rest is system-dependent in terms of how the best of each type of tube will perform in any given system with respect to "synergy" or "matching" or emphasizing particular aspects.  Will be trying a series of other tubes as well (some commented on here and a few others), and will pass along feedback but definitely with a big "YMMV".  I've switched up the rest of my system since I last used the Lampi and so wouldn't be surprised if my preferences have changed for example.  Most importantly, really appreciate like the others that we have the opportunity to roll so many tube types, its provides many degrees of freedom.
happy listening!

wisnon

« Reply #34 on: 11 Jan 2015, 12:39 pm »
Warm sound? Vintage 45 globes like Cunningham CX345 or RCA 245.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #35 on: 11 Jan 2015, 01:43 pm »
Tube sound is what we like I do not feel some are better than others.  Although some are further from my desires. 
On a side note lampi has a new product called a head dac . I have one it also uses a driver tube . More to roll.
My favorite is the vt99 tung sol . 

I agree with th cunninghams is warm but it also puts you further from the music as well. Not for me too much tubby sound but very plesent to the brain.

I have about 12 pairs of 6A3 and at least 5 pairs of sylvanias . Various shapes in pairs . At some point I'll put a sound signature to each type . But they do vary a bit . I also have now 4 tube Amps to roll with so the 300B can be rolled in one as well as various drivers . Also various el34 for the ES headphone amps.
The lampi is a marvel by itself . It fun to find the type that fits the mood or setting up a system for the perfect sound.
Al
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2015, 03:33 pm by ALRAINBOW »

sleep_fox

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jan 2015, 10:05 am »
Hi,

Does a Mullard GZ32/CV593 rectifier work for Big7? Are there significant diffence between tennis ball 101D's and other versions? Thanks.

wisnon

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm »
GZ32 works. Basically any 1.5-3 amp recti works.

ALRAINBOW

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jan 2015, 11:38 pm »
I have two pairs of 101D tenissi balls. My he we101D nos and the ps vane metal bass.  The ps vane had the signature perfect for the nos.  and given the nos are nearing 80 years old
They do perform very well.  But I feel the ps vane is more detailed overall.  Now given you want that hyper detail it's fine in the B7. If you have a one tube Recti that matters as well. 
But the signatures remains but how much and where we sit changes
Hope this helps. 
Al

silverlight

« Reply #39 on: 24 Jan 2015, 11:48 pm »
finally got around to swapping in some Western Electrics (waiting for the good UV4 to UX4 adapters from Hong Kong), and was waiting on the WE 274B for this as well.  They are definitely my favorite so far, but the rectifier made the biggest difference.  The 101D's were a nice change, but I have a number of others yet to try to compare like the psvane metal base 101D (so will reserve judgment on preferences).  the WE274B magically transformed the sound in a way I haven't experienced before, really pulled into the music  :o  Edging closer to that feeling I get from vinyl...