Bryston B60 successor

R. Daneel

Bryston B60 successor
« on: 22 Oct 2015, 05:32 pm »
Hello!

Is Bryston planning on a B60 successor in the near future?

The B60 has been out for years but still, Bryston has not upgraded it with SST2 technology. Was this unnecessary?

From what I've heard, B60 is an excellent amplifier and is especially appreciated in Europe where people usually have small monitor loudspeakers that don't require a lot of wattage. But improving it even further would be excellent.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston B60 successor
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2015, 05:35 pm »
Hello!

Is Bryston planning on a B60 successor in the near future?

The B60 has been out for years but still, Bryston has not upgraded it with SST2 technology. Was this unnecessary?

From what I've heard, B60 is an excellent amplifier and is especially appreciated in Europe where people usually have small monitor loudspeakers that don't require a lot of wattage. But improving it even further would be excellent.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun

There are no plans for a B60 replacement. It is a very simple circuit and so far the SST2 application has not been required.

james

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2015, 05:38 pm »
Hi Antun

There are no plans for a B60 replacement. It is a very simple circuit and so far the SST2 application has not been required.

james

The B60 amp section is based on the 2B-LP correct? and I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 2B has not ever needed updating except for parts and power supply?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2015, 06:17 pm »
The B60 amp section is based on the 2B-LP correct? and I seem to recall reading somewhere that the 2B has not ever needed updating except for parts and power supply?

Yes correct.  The new 2.5B has the SST2 circuitry.

james

Armaegis

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2015, 09:05 pm »
Is the preamp section of the B60 based on one of the standalone preamp like the BP4/5 or older?

edit: by that token, have the phono and dac modules evolved much over the years? I'm particularly interested in the dac, as that landscape has changed quite a bit in recent years

R. Daneel

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2015, 02:37 pm »
Is the preamp section of the B60 based on one of the standalone preamp like the BP4/5 or older?

edit: by that token, have the phono and dac modules evolved much over the years? I'm particularly interested in the dac, as that landscape has changed quite a bit in recent years

Yes it seems there's not much information on the B60. It seems like a nice amplifier and with higher sensitivity speakers, I think that's all you need.

I'd like to know all those things too!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2015, 02:46 pm »
Worth mention B60 is the less expensive amp in the line.
I would like a mono version.

Armaegis

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2015, 04:02 pm »
Worth mention B60 is the less expensive amp in the line.
I would like a mono version.
Why not just get a 2B-LP then? It'd be much cheaper...

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2015, 01:38 pm »
Hi Antun

james

Keep it simple.  Ik have two B60's and I'm looking for a ................    :D

R. Daneel

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:28 pm »
Hi James and those who know!

I have a few questions about this interesting amplifier:

1. Has it been improved over the years in terms of quality of the parts as I seem to remember seeing a B60 photo with traditional iron-core (EI) transformers and also a photo with toroidal transformers?
2. Am I right to assume that SST2 technology wasn't implemented because it wouldn't be benefitial to audio quality anyway given it's relatively modest power rating?
3. Why does it not come with the remote control it used to come with?
4. How good is the built-in line-level preamplifier and is it based on BP6?
5. is it based on entirely discrete circuitry?
6. Is it microprocessor controlled or are the controls entirely mechanical in nature?
7. With higher sensitivity speakers would there be a reason to buy a B135 instead if B60 already meets the number of inputs and the features you need.

Thank you!
Antun

Armaegis

« Reply #10 on: 1 Dec 2015, 04:44 am »
Hi James and those who know!

I have a few questions about this interesting amplifier:

1. Has it been improved over the years in terms of quality of the parts as I seem to remember seeing a B60 photo with traditional iron-core (EI) transformers and also a photo with toroidal transformers?
7. With higher sensitivity speakers would there be a reason to buy a B135 instead if B60 already meets the number of inputs and the features you need.

1) The B60r is based on the 2B which has not changed in design over the years except for power supply (and presumably components updating as old ones become obsolete/unavailable)

7) Bragging rights  :lol:  The B135 is based on the 2.5 which is SST2 tech

doveman

« Reply #11 on: 1 Dec 2015, 08:32 am »
I'm pretty sure the B60 and B6 have the same board, but the B6 may have slightly different parts and the board isn't fully populated. Missing the power amplifier section. The newer B60 has a toroidal transformer from what I've seen.

I have a B135, and Armaegis is right you get bragging rights. On a serious matter I kind of just fell into the B135, I was originally planning the B6/BP26 and 4BBST2 route when I just happened to come across one, I'm very happy with it.

The biggest difference between the B135 and B60 for me (power aside) is that all the features of the B135 can be controlled remotely, and it also has a serial port to receive commands via RS232, which is handy. Whereas on the B60 only volume and I think mute can be remotely controlled and no RS232. I really like the look of the B60r but with no remote power on or input select via remote I think I could only put up with it in a bookshelf style system in my study. Where the B135 acts as my hifi and home theatre centre.

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2016, 06:34 pm »

Keep it simple.  Ik have two B60's and I'm looking for a ................    :D

8)