String Quartets

timjthomas

String Quartets
« on: 1 Oct 2011, 10:28 am »
I find the Mendelssohn String Quartets far more enjoyable than any of the others I've listened to -- e.g., Beethoven, Schubert, etc.

I wonder if this is because Mendelssohn's work is more "accessible." 

Thoughts / comments -- suggestions?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: String Quartets
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2011, 04:07 pm »
I haven't heard these.  Do you have a version that you recommend?

Scott

BobMajor

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2011, 04:41 pm »
Perhaps it's because both Beethoven and Schubert had difficult lives whereas Mendelssohn's was easier.

katzer

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2011, 05:13 pm »
I have two recordings that I enjoy quite a bit:

Hausmusik London, Virgin Classics
L'Archibudelli , on period instruments, Sony Classics

Both feature outstanding level of playing. The first is more relaxed, the later is a bit more 'upfront'.

I find the Mendelssohn String Quartets far more enjoyable than any of the others I've listened to -- e.g., Beethoven, Schubert, etc.

Soundminded

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2011, 01:57 am »

You should hear his octet. It's twice as accessible   :icon_lol:

drjjpdc

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2011, 02:45 am »
Mendessohn is really underated as a lightweight composer, but his early years were almost like a young Mozart. Besides the Midsummer Nights Dream music, 3rd & 4th symphonies, Piano Concerti, Octet, there are his Organ Sonatas and even the String Symphonies (written between 12-14) are quite fine if you are partial to string music. Not to leave out the Elijah oratorio.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2011, 03:31 am »
Also check out Haydn's string quartets, they are similar in feel to Mendelssohn's.

drjjpdc

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2011, 04:40 am »
Yeah, but there are a whole lot of them to listen to (84)!  :)

Sorry, my mistake, there are only 68 of them.  :duh:

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2011, 05:20 am »
I generally skip his early works, just like I do with Mozart.  Besides, when is having too much great music a problem?

Todd_A

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2011, 06:32 pm »
I generally skip his early works, just like I do with Mozart.

I hope you set the cutoff somewhat low in terms of opus numbers.  I couldn't live without the Op 20 quartets, for instance.

Soundminded

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2011, 03:07 am »
Mendessohn is really underated as a lightweight composer, but his early years were almost like a young Mozart. Besides the Midsummer Nights Dream music, 3rd & 4th symphonies, Piano Concerti, Octet, there are his Organ Sonatas and even the String Symphonies (written between 12-14) are quite fine if you are partial to string music. Not to leave out the Elijah oratorio.

I don't think much of his piano concerto but his violin concerto is required for the standard repertoire of any serious concert violinist. Check out the 2nd symphony. It's Mendelssohn's answer to the Beethoven 9th and to the Brahms German Requiem. A masterpiece that is a largely ignored work. He wrote an enormous body of work for piano.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2012, 10:37 pm »
Also check out Haydn's string quartets, they are similar in feel to Mendelssohn's.

I really enjoy the Naxos recordings of Kodaly Quartet playing Haydn's works.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 28 Mar 2012, 01:07 am »

I would suggest the quartets from Heitor Villa-Lobos, only 17 quartets in 7 CDs, they are easy to listen, and reflects the spirit of the first half of 20th century.
I unaware what is the best recording, but Amazon had music samples for somes CDs.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=villa+lobos+quartet&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_26?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=villa+lobos+string+quartets&sprefix=villa+lobos+string+quartet%2Cpopular%2C354&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Avilla+lobos+string+quartets

koyaan

« Reply #13 on: 28 Mar 2012, 03:51 pm »
I'm awfully fond of Borodin and Shostakovich's quartets, and the Bododin Quartet's renditions of both suit me very well.

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:08 pm »
I would suggest the quartets from Heitor Villa-Lobos, only 17 quartets in 7 CDs, they are easy to listen, and reflects the spirit of the first half of 20th century.
I unaware what is the best recording, but Amazon had music samples for somes CDs.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=villa+lobos+quartet&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_26?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=villa+lobos+string+quartets&sprefix=villa+lobos+string+quartet%2Cpopular%2C354&rh=n%3A5174%2Ck%3Avilla+lobos+string+quartets

Excellent rec, these quartets are great!

bakufu

« Reply #15 on: 20 Apr 2012, 03:55 pm »

if you're looking for something new -- at eclassical.com:

http://www.eclassical.com/labels/nosag/allgen-string-quartet-no-2.html

rpf

« Reply #16 on: 20 Apr 2012, 05:13 pm »

Cuarteto Latinoamericano

rpf

« Reply #17 on: 20 Apr 2012, 05:19 pm »
For Haydn, I prefer the Festetics and Lindsay Quartets. But the Tatrai (Op. 1-9 and 17), Tokyo (Op. 76), Mosaiques (Op. 20), Panocha (Op. 54/55) and Kodaly also do wonderful versions of at least some of the quartets.

rpf

« Reply #18 on: 20 Apr 2012, 06:22 pm »
For Mendelssohn, I like the Sorrel, Aurora and Arriga Quartets, as well as the above mentioned Hausmusik.

jerryleefish

« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2012, 03:41 am »
I find playing Mendelssohn to be less challenging than other composers of his period. His music is quite melodic and satisfying to play  He loves 6/8 meter. The oddity about his quartets is they are a rarely performed. I feel they are   less complex than Beethoven and Schubert and consequently do not provide the same drama and excitment.