Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - 2015

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Innovated passive & active preamp technology
    • Tortuga Audio
Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - 2015
« on: 1 Sep 2015, 03:16 pm »
If you're planning on going to RMAF this year please stop by and say hello.
We'll be in room 1022 along with our partners Volti Audio, Border Patrol and Triode Wire Labs.
See you there!  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
Re: Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - 2015
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2015, 11:50 am »
Denver or bust. Getting on the road today. 2,081 miles to go. Head 'em up, move 'em out.  :thumb:

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2015, 12:50 pm »
Denver or bust. Getting on the road today. 2,081 miles to go. Head 'em up, move 'em out.  :thumb:
2,081 miles and it's all uphill.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2015, 01:18 am »
Left south Florida 4 pm Sunday. By Tuesday night I'm in northern New Mexico just south of the CO border with 1900+ miles behind me. Short hop to Denver in the AM.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2015, 03:23 am »
Left south Florida 4 pm Sunday. By Tuesday night I'm in northern New Mexico just south of the CO border with 1900+ miles behind me. Short hop to Denver in the AM.

If you have time go north on 285 instead of I25, you'll pass the sand dunes and valley view hot springs...  :)

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2015, 02:45 pm »
Arrived alive yesterday shortly before noon. 2139 miles. 32.5 hours of driving which included a side trip to New Orleans for oysters & beignets.  :thumb:

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2015, 08:51 pm »
Made it back from RMAF last night. Drove a total of 4,450'ish miles round trip. Certainly got my road trip ya-ya's out.

Show went well overall with countless people coming through including many repeats who told us we were their best sounding room in the show. You know you're doing well when people  come back and hang out listening for 30+ minutes or longer and get into that zone.

We did have a few anxious moments the day before the show (alright, an entire anxious day!) when our Linux music server decided to go sideways and the wifi hotspot link simply would not link. Tested it before we left Florida. Check!  Tested it when we got to Denver Wednesday night. Check! Hooked it all up again Thursday morning in our RMAF room. No check.

After banging away at it most of Thursday we switched to Plan B (always have a plan B) which was a PC laptop running JRiver and a 1TB external drive loaded with over 900 GB of music files. Hooked it up to our Border Patrol DAC and ....no connection. Reloaded the drivers... no connection. Unloaded and reloaded the drivers....no connection. Finally switched to another laptop (Plan C?). Success! Turns out the Lenovo T500 laptop we tried initially didn't have all the correct Lenovo drivers loaded after it had been wiped and reloaded with Windows 7 a few months back. Details details details.

We had one hardware fatality. Our final prototype of the PS12B battery power supply suffered an "inertially induced failure" when hard braking of the F150 truck caused the unit to slide off the back seat and encounter the floor where the 2 batteries proceeded to crush a couple of parts on the circuit board. Had plenty of spare parts with me except for one of the parts that got crushed. So it goes. If nothing else it did demonstrate the need to securely restrain the batteries in the final production design.

All those challenges notwithstanding, the combination of Redbook digital files, 16 bit USB Ladder DAC, LDR3.V2 passive preamp, 8 WPC 300B tube amp, and 99 dB efficient hybrid horn speakers are indeed a killer combination.

My sincere thanks to our partners Greg Roberts (Volti), Gary Dewes (Border Patrol) and Pete Grzybowski (Triode Wire Labs). You guys are the best!  :thumb:

Regards,
Morten

P.S. Arrived back at the Tortuga compound to find our hard working PC engineering workstation dead, kaput, pfft! One day,  and 1 new motherboard and power supply later and we're back up an running.  :D

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2015, 11:44 pm »
Welcome back Morten! It was great to finally meet you. The Volti system(s) were divine. I enjoyed myself.

Thanks for working on the battery supply and updating my master/slave board. You are a class act. A+ all the way.  :thumb:

Anand.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2015, 07:11 pm »
Some recent posted video feedback...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnAlavfADv0

Cheers,
Pete

kernelbob

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2015, 09:43 pm »
Congrats Morten on your successful RMAF.  At audio shows it seems like whatever can go wrong will.

I continue to be absolutely amazed at the performance of my LDR1B.  It's passed the long term test (one year so far).  Still as satisfying as on day one-- neutral, dynamic, musical, fast, etc. and a killer bargain to boot.  I can't wait to hear what the battery powered versions can do.

Robert

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2015, 07:11 pm »