Antek PS-3N30 Power Supply for Virtue Amplifiers

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Re: Antek PS-3N30 Power Supply for Virtue Amplifiers
« Reply #60 on: 1 Mar 2010, 03:03 pm »
Xcaliber,
Check out the Sensation M451.  The M901 outsells it by 3:1.  Why?
Seth

Xcalibur

« Reply #61 on: 1 Mar 2010, 11:40 pm »
Point well taken.  So long as the next M901 isn't fusion powered and costs 3 grand I won't have anything to be concerned about.  I must admit I'd take a 901 over the 451 as well, but that is the nature of audio guys.  We can't seem to leave something on the table once we know it is out there.  But, the price jump is fairly easy to swallow here, and that is to your credit.  Now, if there were a super M901 for...... say $1,500 I'm sure people would buy that too, but I wouldn't be one of them.  That would be where the increased cost over the basic version becomes too tough to swallow.

PSB Guy

« Reply #62 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:14 am »
Xcaliber,
Check out the Sensation M451.  The M901 outsells it by 3:1.  Why?
Seth

Just my $.02 but I think the Sensation platform is seen by most people as a significant step-up from the One/Two/One.2 platform, so they figure that once they've taken that step, you might as well fully commit. Personally, the M451 would have been "good enough" for me if the M901 hadn't been offered to me by Seth as a trade for the unfortunately delayed Pre/DAC/Headphone amp (but I will HAPPILY take it, thanks, Seth!). Honestly, I don't know that the M451 needs to exist, especially if it's going to sit in the warehouse.
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2010, 01:46 am by PSB Guy »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #63 on: 2 Mar 2010, 12:41 am »
Thanks for all of your good feedback fellas.  I just reversed myself on the price increase on the little amps.  I don't have the heart to tell Melissa but sucking it up for another few months is a small price to pay for the kind of good-will we have and the opportunity to sell THOUSANDS of amps at a much more attractive price point.  I thought long and hard about keeping the ONE classic below $300 and it was the right decision then as it is now.

As for the M451, it really is quite puzzling to me.  If they don't sell and we sell out of the M901 what I will do is allow you to order them fully modded and we'll ship them over to Jason who will turn them into M901s with whatever trimmings you want.  Make sense?

Cornelis - just to give a bit of context to your trade-up for the greater audience... I sat on a BUNCH of your money for many months and I'm very appreciative of your patience.

dvenardos

« Reply #64 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:21 pm »
Aren't most of the M901 sales from the upgrade offer? I mean you made it not that much more to go from the M451 to the M901.
As for the M451, it really is quite puzzling to me.  If they don't sell and we sell out of the M901 what I will do is allow you to order them fully modded and we'll ship them over to Jason who will turn them into M901s with whatever trimmings you want.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #65 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:27 pm »
Nope.  We're selling a bunch of M901s at full pre-order price.  I priced the upgrades fairly but knowing that you're going to get most of the performance with the M451 for considerably less money than the M901 (especially if you're using a 3rd party power supply), I was thinking that it would be more attractive, relatively.  Especially since it's such a beauty!

This proves that my customer base is very interested in getting the best possible sound from the platform!  We'll probably end up converting some of those M451s to M901s or some variant thereof.

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #66 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:43 pm »
Even though I went for the m451, the biggest reason I would have to switch to the 901 is the sweet looking remote lol.

Biggie.

PSB Guy

« Reply #67 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:51 pm »
Even though I went for the m451, the biggest reason I would have to switch to the 901 is the sweet looking remote lol.

Biggie.
The M451 and the M901 both come with the black plastic remote as standard, the aluminum one is a $99 upgrade for both, so you wouldn't need to switch, FYI. :D

NotoriousBIG_PJ

« Reply #68 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:53 pm »
Ah, good to know the option is there if I want to upgrade some day.

Biggie.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #69 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:55 pm »
If you buy Sensation + Piano together (or separately but both) I'll give you the aluminum remote for free. I can't set this up in the shopping cart system but you can hold me to it (remind me).

dvenardos

« Reply #70 on: 3 Mar 2010, 12:09 am »
Too bad you don't have any programmers around there.  :wink:

If you buy Sensation + Piano together (or separately but both) I'll give you the aluminum remote for free. I can't set this up in the shopping cart system but you can hold me to it (remind me).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #71 on: 3 Mar 2010, 07:12 am »
Donny, I know that you're dying to rewrite Volusion.  Don't you recompile your Windows OS every few weeks after "tweaking" the graphics subsystem?  Bshh...

dvenardos

« Reply #72 on: 3 Mar 2010, 06:20 pm »
Actually, I was referring to the "other" programmer. The one that has something to do with a virtuous audio company.  :D

Donny, I know that you're dying to rewrite Volusion.  Don't you recompile your Windows OS every few weeks after "tweaking" the graphics subsystem?  Bshh...

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #73 on: 3 Mar 2010, 06:35 pm »
Keyboards are evil.  Get back to work, bro!

littletree76

« Reply #74 on: 5 Mar 2010, 03:22 pm »
Allow me to go back to discussion on linear power supply for Virtue amplifiers.

According to what I have learned in electrical engineering (correct me if my opinion is wrong/obsolete), followings are stages in a linear power supply:

AC input > step-down transformer > rectifier > capacitor filter > active regulator > output protection > DC output

For unregulated power supply such as JT Dynamic Power, the only stage missing is active regulator as compared with fully regulated Astron LSA-10A linear power supply.

The pitfall with unregulated power supply is susceptibility to fluctuation in AC input and DC load. But the advantages are better transient/bass responses and higher efficiency (thus JT Dynamic Power can achieve 95%). I suppose the active regulator limits current delivered to the speaker in order to maintain DC output voltage and lowers efficiency because of inevitable power dissipation across the active regulator (power source/sink depends on input/output conditions).

By weighting pros and cons between regulated and unregulated linear power supplies (without reference to particular models/brands), which is better for improving audio outputs of Virtue amplifiers (of course taking price into consideration) ? If I have properly conditioned AC outlet without noise, does it mean unregulated power supply is a better choice ? In unregulated linear power supply, how does the power frequency ripple after the capacitor filter stage affect audio outputs of Virtue amplifiers ?

PSB Guy

« Reply #75 on: 5 Mar 2010, 06:48 pm »
I'm looking at the picture of the back of the Sensation that's on the website, and I see that it has a different receptacle for the power supply from the Virtue One, looks like a four pin DIN receptacle.  Does the DC power cord that ships with the JT Dynamic power supply have adaptors for both amps, or at the very least for the Sensation, which I want to use it with? Please tell me it does, I'm freakin' out a bit, probably for no good reason...

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #76 on: 5 Mar 2010, 08:12 pm »
Every Sensation will ship with an adapter so you can use ANY of our PSUs.  They fit very well and are short.  So this will be a non-issue.

PSB Guy

« Reply #77 on: 5 Mar 2010, 08:28 pm »
Sweet. I knew I was just being neurotic...