Verizon Fios Cable Box and Digital Audio out to HI FI setup

stump4545

Not sure exactly where to put this post, but I am using my Modwright 36.5, 150se and my Elyse DAC to power by Cable TV setup :) and I want to have the Eyse DAC decode the audio.

Do you think it would be an issue to go HDMI to 4K TV and for audio go Digital RCA to my Elyse DAC?

I didint think it would be an issue but I am not getting my Verizon Fios Arris box to output the digital audio to my Eyse DAC.

Anyone have any insight on this? Maybe since HDMI is going to TV already?

All I am getting is a high pitch clicking sound, not sure what that signifies.

Thanks in advance for the help.

srb

Re: Verizon Fios Cable Box and Digital Audio out to HI FI setup
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:11 pm »
It's very likely that your Cable Box is sending a multichannel Dolby or DTS signal to the Elyse DAC which it can't decode.

You will probably have to go into the cable box menu and set the digital audio output to 2 channel LPCM or equivalent setting.  Don't know if that will affect the multichannel HDMI signal going to the TV or not.

Steve

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:15 pm »
While I have Comcast it is all I can help with.   

My box has a menu for audio settings.  I played around a lot and got the best audio out of the box to dac.   You have to keep in mind all tv audio is poor at best.  Try a DVD movie that is on cable and compare.  And  Blu-ray is a no Brainer.

I did find this tidbit.  https://www.Verizon.com/support/

At times I get better audio via my Chrome cast to tv and then tv to dac

Just my $.02

Alan

stump4545

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:31 pm »
Thank you.

But in theory there should be no issue going HDMI to TV and then digital audio  out to my DAC right?

HDMI to TV as digital audio is going out through RCA should not cause any conflict no?

There are not many Verzion audio settings to play with but I will try.

Is your cable tv sound to your DAC that decodes does not sound that goods at all?

Did the cable audio passing through your DAC help a lot or only a little?

Maybe not even worth the trouble :)

srb

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:51 pm »
But in theory there should be no issue going HDMI to TV and then digital audio  out to my DAC right?

HDMI to TV as digital audio is going out through RCA should not cause any conflict no?

You should be able to run both HDMI and S/PDIF simultaneously, HOWEVER there are some boxes that won't output anything but 5.1 over S/PDIF even though there is a (obsolete) menu setting that even when set to PCM still outputs 5.1.

What model cable box do you have?

Steve

stump4545

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2016, 11:55 pm »
Cable box is a Arris vs1100.

Is that the cause of that high pitched clicky sound?

Since cable tv audio is poor in general is there a big upgrade to be had running canle tv audio through my Elysa DAC?

Thought it would be cool for on demand movies.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:03 am »
I get minimal help with my dac on tv.  I mostly use it for aditional input switching. :o

Dont forget to check tv audio settings if you pass through it.

Alan.

srb

« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2016, 12:14 am »
Cable box is a Arris vs1100.

Bad news is apparently the Arris VMS1100 S/PDIF coaxial and optical outputs will only pass the audio format of the source, which 95% + of the time will be in a 5.1 format that the DAC can't decode, hence the high pitch clicking sound you're getting.

Good news is I don't think you would be getting a substantial improvement in sound considering the source.  You might get a little better improvement with a Blu-ray player IF the player has the ability to select 2-channel LPCM from it's audio menu relative to S/PDIF output.

Steve

stump4545

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2016, 01:28 am »
I have the 85in Sony 850d tv I just bought.   :D

I can run an optical cable from tv, let the sony output all  audio through optical.

I would then have to convert optical to digial spdif to input in my Elyse DAC

Do you think I will run into same issue?

Thanks for the great info.

I called verizon and Arris and nobody knows any of this. Thanks

cliffy

« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:10 am »
I've had similar issue for years with various Comcast cable boxes. 
Finally broke down and bought an Atlona HDMI de-embedder.  It ouputs the audio via a digital output while still passing on the audio/video thru the HDMI output.  The model I have is also a 4-way HDMI switcher which I needed because I only had 1 HDMI cable run in wall to my TV.

The Atlona is also programmable via Serial port so its very customizable.

Four-Input HDMI Switcher with Auto-Switching
Model Number: AT-HD4-V41

Worked great for me.

srb

« Reply #10 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:19 am »
I called Verizon and Arris and nobody knows any of this

"Don't know ..... don't care!"  ;)

I can run an optical cable from TV, let the Sony output all audio through optical.  I would then have to convert optical to digital S/PDIF to input in my Elyse DAC.  Do you think I will run into same issue?

You'll have to see if you have a 2-channel PCM setting for the optical output in the TV menu.  Many TVs do, but my Panasonic plasma (and many other Panasonic plasma models) will only output source format (usually 5.1) like your Verizon/Arris cable box.

I don't have a recommendation for an S/PDIF optical to coax converter; I see cheap ones ($15) on Amazon, but they could possibly have more jitter than an audio salesman on a half dozen espressos!

Good luck

Steve

stump4545

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:28 am »
yeah just checked and no, "2-channel PCM setting for the optical output in the TV menu"

I hooked the audio output from my Sony 85in TV from optical output to the optical to SDIF $15 converter that I have and even more clicky clacky high pitched noise, so I guess I am out of luck there.

What is the best case if I got an Apple TV, or Roku player at my rack.  Is the optical out going to have same issue to my DAC?

cliffy

« Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:38 am »
The Apple TV has a setting for the audio out.  You can force 2 channel PCM on the coax optical output.

stump4545

« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:42 am »
Apply TV only has optical out.

If I go optical out from the Apple, can I leave the audio out digital 2 channel so that my Elyse DAC can decode?

cliffy

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:49 am »
Doh!!  Brain fart.

Thanks

cliffy

« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2016, 02:50 am »

If I go optical out from the Apple, can I leave the audio out digital 2 channel so that my Elyse DAC can decode?

Yes

stump4545

« Reply #16 on: 28 Sep 2016, 03:29 am »
wonder if this is worth the effort.

Apple TV to optical, to converter to digital coax, into Eysa Dac, for improved sound for watching movies over streaming Apple TV.

maybe I am just spinning my wheels......

srb

« Reply #17 on: 28 Sep 2016, 03:34 am »

Of course you would be talking about a refurbished 3rd generation Apple TV, as the current 4th generation only has HDMI out (no optical).

But the Apple TV and Roku are network streamers.  I know the Arris VMS1100 has an Ethernet connection, but I don't know that there is a software app for the Apple TV that will let it stream cable TV content or are you thinking of streaming your cable-subscribed channels over the Internet?

Steve

cliffy

« Reply #18 on: 28 Sep 2016, 05:01 am »
Of course you would be talking about a refurbished 3rd generation Apple TV, as the current 4th generation only has HDMI out (no optical).

But the Apple TV and Roku are network streamers.  I know the Arris VMS1100 has an Ethernet connection, but I don't know that there is a software app for the Apple TV that will let it stream cable TV content or are you thinking of streaming your cable-subscribed channels over the Internet?

Steve

I guess I was talking about 3rd generation Apple TV.  I haven't bought one in a couple years and haven't been keeping up on their latest configurations.

Learn something every day :-)

I did look at the Atlona website today and they still have products that will "de-embedd" the audio and output a stereo PCM output via coax or optical depending on which model you buy.

stump4545

« Reply #19 on: 28 Sep 2016, 11:45 am »
so if I purchase the Atlona, I can run the HDMI to it, it will remove the audio, and then I can send it to my DAC via SDPIF in 2 channel.

Silly question but 2 Stereo PCM is a digital signal correct?

But are most HD Cable Channels broadcast in stereo or surround because if they are broadcast in surround sound wont I run into an issue?