Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

SCompRacer

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1280 on: 16 Mar 2015, 10:40 pm »
One of my desert island choices and demo albums on vinyl would be Talk Talk / Colour Of Spring. Hollis's nasally vocals have always set a hook in me. This album stepped away from the synthesized pop of their earlier albums. One of my fav tracks is the first, Happiness Is Easy. This track features drums, three percussionists, a wicked snare, weird chord, a very closely miked accoustic bass, electric bass, guitar, piano, Steve Winwood on a Hammond organ and a children's choir. The acoustic guitar and piano seem to dance gracefully in and out. On a good system some of the notes from the eight supporting musicians can be surprising; on a great system they can be startling.

Surprised Patty Larkin / Regrooving the Dream well recorded CD isn't mentioned. 'Hand Full of Water' features an acoustic guitar with notes that decay into tomorrow. 'When' has a blistering guitar and drum duel. 'Mink Coats,' haunting vocals and deep drum.

adydula

« Reply #1281 on: 27 Mar 2015, 10:13 am »
Thanks for the recommendation!!

This thread has not seen a lot of activity in the past few months, so its good to see people post great sounding cds etc!!

All the best!
Alex

S Clark

• Measurements don't make your toes tap
« Reply #1282 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:27 pm »
Surprised Patty Larkin / Regrooving the Dream well recorded CD isn't mentioned. 'Hand Full of Water' features an acoustic guitar with notes that decay into tomorrow. 'When' has a blistering guitar and drum duel. 'Mink Coats,' haunting vocals and deep drum.
Good choice.  Her "Angels Running" is usually cited more in audiophool circles, but "Regrooving" is also a very high quality cd.  It is especially good for listening for a wide sound stage. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1283 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:54 pm »
Now, I've got to find my Patty Larkin CD.  Might be "Angles Running" come to think about it.  Haven't listened to it in a very long time.  Thanks, Scomp, Scott.  Mapleshade has already been mentioned.  Ani DiFranco's "Up ,up, up, up, up" has terrific sound and imagery.  And this one has GOT to be in the running for great sound, "The Splendour of Al-Andalus" by Calamus on period instruments from M-A Recordings.

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #1284 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:47 pm »
One of my desert island choices and demo albums on vinyl would be Talk Talk / Colour Of Spring.

The CD or SACD?

Frans

« Reply #1285 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:52 pm »
Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Get the Blu-ray audio if you can, it's an audiophile's dream in addition to being a creative masterpiece.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand._Cannot._Erase.

SCompRacer

« Reply #1286 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:03 am »
The CD or SACD?

I have it on vinyl and CD. Even though I built a real nice DAC, vinyl gets the nod for best sound here. ;)

Frans

« Reply #1287 on: 31 Mar 2015, 02:09 pm »
I have it on vinyl and CD. Even though I built a real nice DAC, vinyl gets the nod for best sound here. ;)

Yes, the CD is unremarkable. The SACD however, is one of my favorite audiophile quality demo discs. It's that good. Just FYI in case you enjoy this album as much as I do.

sfox7076

« Reply #1288 on: 19 Oct 2015, 05:38 pm »
Used Hour of the Bewilderbeast by Badly Drawn Boy this weekend.  It's an interesting test disc as it has a little of everything.

ClarkFan

« Reply #1289 on: 21 Oct 2015, 02:56 pm »
One to add:

http://archive.richardthompson-music.com/album.asp?id=74

Live recording of Richard Thompson with very good guitar sound.  The range of music is remarkable, too.

poseidonsvoice

• Vector - I've got Direction & Magnitude! Oh Yeah!
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #1290 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:59 am »
One of my favorite cuts is from Blue Coast Records (the E.S.E. sessions), tracks 1 and 5 right here:

http://bluecoastrecords.downloadsnow.net/blue-coast-collection-remastered

Available in FLAC to Quad DSD, or CD.

Tremendous space, detail, timbre, etc...

Enjoy!

Anand.