Chicago Audiofest

jsalk

Chicago Audiofest
« on: 13 Aug 2005, 06:22 pm »
Dave Ellis, along with myself and a number of other volunteers, has been working on a small Audiofest type gathering in Chicago this year.

The dates this year will be October 14 - 16th.

There will be a small number of exhibitors and a number of DIY speaker designers showing their creations.  There will be competitions for speakers in 3 categories, primariliy to honor DIY efforts (Dave and I will most likely not enter.)

I only mention this as I will likely have a number of speakers at the event, including HT3's in both the regular passive and the HT3a (active) format. If you are intersested in hearing these or other designs, you may want to put the event on your calendar.

I may also bring along another new design that has not yet been introduced.

You can get details for the event at http://www.chicagoaudiofest.com/

- Jim

Papajin

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2005, 12:01 pm »
Hey, neato!  This is the first I've heard of this -- It's probably 15-20 minutes drive from my house, so I'll have to see if I can manage to attend!  During my birthday too! :)

My speakers are probably due to be done somewhere around that time frame, so I may actually have 'em by then, but still sounds like fun!

John151

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2005, 05:22 pm »
I live only a few miles away, so I will definitely be attending.  I am really looking forward to hearing some of Jim's products!

audiojerry

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2005, 12:44 am »
So, how are things progressing with the event? Any idea on the interest level or how many plan on attending?

I plan on being there. I've been away from it for awhile, so it would be a good opportunity to catch up and maybe meet some fellow AC'ers.

MaxCast

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2005, 12:48 pm »
I plan on being there.  I have friends and relatives with in 20 min.
Sure looking forward to hearing some speakers and the different set ups.  I hope it goes over well so there are more in the future!!

The web site has been slow, so i hope there is more going on behind the screen.

MaxCast

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2005, 12:53 pm »
Oh! and of course, meeting all you AC'ers that will be there will be great too.
Maybe I'll wear my shirt  :|

John151

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2005, 01:50 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast

I hope you are not referring to a GB Packer shirt! :nono:  This is BEAR country!    :lol:

MaxCast

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2005, 04:24 pm »
Quote from: John151
Quote from: MaxCast

I hope you are not referring to a GB Packer shirt! :nono:  This is BEAR country!    :lol:

Ha Ha, no I won't, but I did ware my GB hat all around down town Saturday :D

John151

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2005, 11:20 pm »
Jim - It was great to meet you in person!  Your speakers are even more beautiful in person.  And they sound as good as they look.   I was quite impressed with how silky smooth they sounded.   I also appreciated the demo of the DEQX - very cool.

MaxCast

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2005, 05:45 pm »
Hey John, I must of missed you.  I agree about Jim and his speakers.  Great guy, great sound and great looks.  Anyone interested in new speakers in his price ranges needs to hear them.

John151

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2005, 05:59 pm »
I wasn't there very long, and only attended Jim's room.

jsalk

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2005, 03:08 pm »
John151, Maxcast and others -

It was great meeting you at the Chicago Audiofest.  I met a lot of great people and had a good time.  I hope all of you did too.

Maxcast, I will be forever indebted to you for helping me load up all that equipment at the end of a very long day.  Name the time and place, I'm buying!  Much apprecaited.

- Jim

Al Garay

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2005, 10:31 pm »
Congratulations.

Is there a thread with reviews? This was a rare chance to have people listen to your HT3s and Phil's System 5.

jsalk

Chicago Audiofest
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2005, 11:12 pm »
Al -

I would bet if you start a new thread and ask some who were there, perhaps you might be able to generate a response or two.  There were quite a few people who spent time in both rooms.

- Jim

Eugene65

Salk sound
« Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2005, 01:18 am »
I listened to Jim Salks speakers at the Chicago Audiofest. The new Veracity HT3a 3-way speaker system . Its a floor standing speaker with a G2 pure ribbon tweeter, a Seas Excel W18EX midrange and a custom 10" TC Sounds subwoofer driver as the woofer. Jim Salk had some excellent demo music and let us in on the active setup.   Jim Salk let us see and hear the eq process, I think some manufactures would not be so open to let you hear the product before it was  adjusted for the room. He has nothing to worry about. Everyone seemed to really enjoy the music coming out of these awesome speakers. I stopped trying to  pick apart the sound qualities of the speaker  and just fell into listening to the music.  People were asking who is that artist? what is that cd? I think that is the best review I can give these speakers. For me, something great is something that does not get in the way of the music, and they look damn great as well. I have to get a set before he gets some sense and increases the price. I told him I will take 4 sets(joke), but I'm really thinking about a set in 2006. Mind you, I went there to watch the low priced DIY speaker shoot out and found out the 4k speakers are the deal.