Recommendations For VPI - HRX Turntable.

Audiophile

Recommendations For VPI - HRX Turntable.
« on: 5 May 2017, 03:54 pm »
Hi all,

Need recommendation for my VPI-HRX turntable sitting on top of a platform that's on top of a rack. Under the MDF platform is cork footers.

Thanks
Paul

mcbuddah

Re: Recommendations For VPI - HRX Turntable.
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2017, 04:47 pm »
I'm having great results after mounting adhesive-backed Herbie's dots under the hardwood platforms that support my amps, Thor phono stage and Super Scoutmaster Ref. The VPI platform is a 28" x 20" X 4" maple beauty I got from Dawn's that weighs about 65#.  The preamp's platform is a 17" x 4" that looks like a million bucks under the round Thor.  All my gear is ultimately supported on a Steve Blinn Super-Wide with three 5' maple shelves each supported by .75" Herbie's dots glued to the support-ears that normally get a small rubber ball inserted into a small hole. The rack's cones are then supported on Herbie's giant Titanium gliders.  The gliders ere the most expensive thing I changed @ around $160/4 abd all the dots combined were about $60 more.   

Unfortunately for Science, I installed all the Herbie's stuff at the same time and so cannot attest to which ones did the most good, but the improvement in sound stage clarity and bass quality were stunning.

Audiophile

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2017, 11:02 pm »
I'm having great results after mounting adhesive-backed Herbie's dots under the hardwood platforms that support my amps, Thor phono stage and Super Scoutmaster Ref. The VPI platform is a 28" x 20" X 4" maple beauty I got from Dawn's that weighs about 65#.  The preamp's platform is a 17" x 4" that looks like a million bucks under the round Thor.  All my gear is ultimately supported on a Steve Blinn Super-Wide with three 5' maple shelves each supported by .75" Herbie's dots glued to the support-ears that normally get a small rubber ball inserted into a small hole. The rack's cones are then supported on Herbie's giant Titanium gliders.  The gliders ere the most expensive thing I changed @ around $160/4 abd all the dots combined were about $60 more.   

Unfortunately for Science, I installed all the Herbie's stuff at the same time and so cannot attest to which ones did the most good, but the improvement in sound stage clarity and bass quality were stunning.

Hi mcbuddah,

Thanks for the reply!

I believe the direction I will go is a sandbox with a maple top and Herbie's grungebuster dots underneath the sandbox.

Still undecided on what to do under the VPI.

Paul

mcbuddah

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2017, 02:52 pm »
FWIW, I have recently acquired a beautiful new turntable platform from Daedalus that works with their new Dids product underneath.  I also bought a set of Dids to go try under my Sacd player.  Unfortunately, i chose to try it first under my CD  /SACD player and I cannot bring myself to  relocate it under the VPI. 

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2017, 06:22 pm »
Hi mcbuddah,

Thanks for the reply!

I believe the direction I will go is a sandbox with a maple top and Herbie's grungebuster dots underneath the sandbox.

Still undecided on what to do under the VPI.

Paul

I just purchased a Symposium Segue ISO rack for my Classic 3. It was designed with turntables in mind and supposedly helps isolate vertical energy that causes low frequency feedback into the analog chain. I'll probably pick up the Symposium Classic footer inserts as well.